Cool MX Videos

Back before my son got a GF, College and a job he used to make some awesome MX videos. Some of you may have seen some of them on the RMXA and SRAC sites, but I was looking thru my computer and watched a few again and realized that these were some great times when my son was younger.

I just wanted to share with you TTers.

One of them is the '05 Nationals at Thunder Valley with RC , CR KW and Ernesto Fonseca has a pretty wicked crash trying to get a drive for the big candlestick jump. If you remember it was much harder in '05.

As I am typing, I'm uploading his vid of the 4 Stroke Nationals from'04. It's good too so it will be there before the nites over.

Let me know if you like them because he made gobs more that are'nt on you tube yet ,of the local MX and SX races including some entertaining 'Dash for Cashes',

Just go here http://www.youtube.com/user/max73049

and click on 'show all vids ' from me. I did some of the camera work but my son deserves 95% of the credit for editing them and making something neat out of raw footage.

Yay I loved all those videos, then they disapeared. Whats your sons name?

Yea I love mikes videos. He really stated doing a great job then he stopped making them. It's too bad that they got pulled from the SRAC and RMXA sites. The links are still there but most of the videos don't work.

His bobby fitch video was on there a while back and got some rave reviews.

I miss his videos too but between his GF , College, Gf, working at Racer X Magazine, climbing 14ers, and GF again , I even miss going riding with him.

He just got a new Helmet Cam yesterday from Amazon so since it's a "New Thing", I'm anxious to see what he does with it.

He has '5 Miles of Hell' on his 'must do ' list, for the challenge but I have no idea when we'll get there.

I've still got that Bobby Fitch Vid and all his vids on my puter.

He's learning more working for RacerX magazine but now he's learned that his time makes him money. It's amazing how fast the TV crews can put together a video during a commercial, which is amazing the technology they have, considering I've seen Mike spend sometimes 10 hrs or more editing raw footage and putting it together to go with the music for one 3 or 4 minute vid.

Back before my son got a GF, College and a job he used to make some awesome MX videos. Some of you may have seen some of them on the RMXA and SRAC sites, but I was looking thru my computer and watched a few again and realized that these were some great times when my son was younger.

I just wanted to share with you TTers.

One of them is the '05 Nationals at Thunder Valley with RC , CR KW and Ernesto Fonseca has a pretty wicked crash trying to get a drive for the big candlestick jump. If you remember it was much harder in '05.

As I am typing, I'm uploading his vid of the 4 Stroke Nationals from'04. It's good too so it will be there before the nites over.

Let me know if you like them because he made gobs more that are'nt on you tube yet ,of the local MX and SX races including some entertaining 'Dash for Cashes',

Just go here http://www.youtube.com/user/max73049

and click on 'show all vids ' from me. I did some of the camera work but my son deserves 95% of the credit for editing them and making something neat out of raw footage.

Max, nice vids, just let your son know that if he's using the music without permission it's no doubt the reason his vids are getting pulled down off of sites. And you for posting them are equally (if not more-so) copable. Users taking music without permission is one of the reasons Youtube is getting sued constantly. Music licensing is one of the ways I make a living, so I take it personally. (Sorry, but like it or not, that's the way it is.) Many are un-aware of the implications, so I always try to cut them some slack - until they tell me music should be free. (You know, I think KTM's should be free too!)

There's easy and inexpensive ways to get music for syncronizing to video without stealing it. I know it's widespread and rampant, but it is against copyright law - especially if posted publicly. There are very specific syncronization laws in place for a reason. And the reason is, that if there is no financial gain for the producer/writer of the music, there will BE no music worth listening to in the future. We see this happening now within our industry as EXTREMELY talented individuals who have written, played on, engineered and produced the records you've been listening to for the last 20-30+ years are calling it quits and selling used cars or ??? because they can't even make a subsistence living in their chosen career.

Sorry to be a groove buster, but for those of us who write music for a living, it becomes harder and harder every year. While those who rip if off have no problem buying a new bike, those of us who rely on sync licenses and royalties are having a difficult time even feeding our families, much less being able to buy a new bike or even go riding. When I have no money to go to Moab for my annual trip or even get out close to home while 20 y/o kids can buy a new $8K KTM while ripping off music......I get a little over the top.

That's reality. There are those who will define reality with their own relative morality judgements, but US Copyright law defines it differently. Now, enforcing the law is another matter entirely. It used to be that common courtesy basically enforced the law. With downloads and the internet, that's no longer the case.

So...............................say hello to loads of mediocre music and goodbye to extremely talented professionals that have given you the classics you love. Sorry for the rant....:confused::excuseme::sweden::excuseme: Off my soapbox now......

bp

Way to ruin the thread.

Bill, I realize that pirated music is a problem for the music industry.

Since YouTube literally has millions of videos with music by extremely talented professionals, would you feel better if I take one or two motocross or dirt bike riding videos off? Since you obviously love riding too, I'm puzzled why you sent me this message, of all the people who post on YouTube.

I'm not trying to argue with you, I have really liked your pics and the posts you have made, and you gave me a great idea of what to expect before I went to Moab with your pics.

YouTube has already sent me notice of copyright matches and they have said the copyright holder has marked them as "Allow".

I'm not trying to get in trouble, nor am I trying to distribute the work of the musicians who wrote the songs. My sole purpose of posting was to share a few motocross videos with fellow TTers. I didn't expect to be jumped on about copyright infringement, especially about songs that are already posted thousands of times on YouTube, from a fellow dirt bike rider.

By the way, his videos have only been posted on our 2 local MX racing organizations. One site crashed and all of their content was lost. The other site took them off because he quit making them, and they were a few years out of date.

Hey Max -

I hope you have the patience to read thru this....

My post was merely an attempt to answer some of the questions posted as to why the videos might not be available anymore. Servers crashing certainly can be one reason, but as of late, illegal useage of copyrighted material is the main reason videos are being pulled off the internet. Youtube is right at the crux of the matter. While the songwriter or artist makes zero from works posted on an illegal youtube video, youtube is making millions - literally - every day. And they do that (somehow???) without compensating the individuals who own the content. That makes them a target. To try to mitigate that liability, they make a token good will effort and pull literally hundreds of videos off every day. In the process of course they miss thousands that shouldn't be there. The owners of the songs your son used may not care - that's a good thing. But that's not the case with all copyright holders. As I'm sure you are probably aware, the RIAA is trying to make their "point" known by going as far as suing single moms, 18 y/o kids, etc.

Many people don't understand what a copyright is, why it was ever instituted in the first place, why it benefits their personal existance even if they don't create creative works, and how it affects what they do in everyday life. (Like listening to the radio. Just imagine a world without art or music.) My intent was to shed a bit of light on that. In reality, it's a very complex and multi-faceted part of our existance that needs a face lift in light of current technology. I'm not suggesting you pull your son's videos off the web. Maybe just that next time he makes one, you choose an alternative that's legal and cheap and "insured" against any potential legal liabilities.

And believe me, the liabilities are out there waiting for the unsuspecting. The film and music industries are being decimated, and they are looking to make an example out of unsuspecting filmakers. I'd hate for any of their examples to be extreme sports or motorcycle videos, but the reality is, at some point, we probably will get slammed - and slammed hard.

I'm sure you wouldn't suggest that I go into my local moto shop and shoplift a new jersey if I needed one. This is the same issue. It's just easier to steal music from the privacy of your own home and call it "OK" if millions of others are doing the same. Takes a bit more brass to walk into a shop and commit essentially the same act doesn't it? What would be the impact on our society if shoplifting was the norm instead of the exception? How would that affect you or people that you know?

The bottom line is that everyone wants to paint the issue as a grey area, and it's not. Not to those who take the time to think thru all the issues and angles. And certainly not to those of us whose incomes have been severely impacted. Ask your boss if he's good with continuing to pay you your salary/wage if he had to give away 90% of his goods and services. I think we all know that answer to that. The internet, youtube, etc. have forever changed how creative people control their creative PROPERTY. The paradigm is currently broken. No one knows how to fix it. Until it gets fixed, those who rely on income from creative copyrighted works are screwed. At this point, you (not you Max, you as in the general public) have a choice. They can either take advantage of our misfortune for their personal benefit or stand in support of creative providers. It's every man's individual choice.

Try to walk a mile in my shoes. I've walked yours - I've made some full length moto films that are quite good as well. As a matter of fact, I have HUNDREDS of hours into them. All have music that is legal for me to use. I could have made them much better (at least I think they'd be better) if I had used some copyrighted material, but I chose not to.

Again, not trying to bust your chops here. But there are alternatives, and that's what my original post was about. Use the alternatives!!! I understand the dilema. I'm just playing devils advocate and trying to do what I can to throw a little light on the subject. If you don't dig it, (and most don't, to the point of personal threats against me sometimes), that's cool. Just go about doing things the way that YOU feel is honest and fair. Just remember, sometimes karma is a bitch!

Looking forward to more good videos - especially from your Moab trips!!! Looks like I will not make it this year. Supposed to leave two weeks from tomorrow, but it's just not going to happen this year.

Best,

bp

brings a tear too my rum and coke:cry:

good vid:thumbsup:

max49,

The video that Mike made for my boys (Forrest and Connor) was great. We still enjoy watching it. It's amazing how fast the kids grow up.

By the way....the music used on our video was used with permission. Say hi to Mike.

Gary

nice video, okay I am going riding now