On a scale of 1 to 10 how dirty is my air filter?

With flash:

Picture003-3.jpg

Picture004-2.jpg

Without flash:

Picture005-1.jpg

Picture006-1.jpg

My dad said it was ok last time he checked, but Im curious if I should get a new one or just clean it because it looks pretty dirty.

Out of these which filter would be the best?

http://www.rockymountainatv.com/typeDetail.do?navType=type&webTypeId=4&navTitle=Intake%2FFuel&webCatId=16&allVehParts=true

Out of these which would be the best to clean/oil the above filter?

http://www.rockymountainatv.com/typeDetail.do?navType=type&webTypeId=3&navTitle=Intake%2FFuel&webCatId=16&allVehParts=true

Ive just aquired this 1999 CR250r and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

on a scale of 1 to 10 it is about a 2.5, it really is not that dirty, i have seen them pitch black on my freinds bikes before (never on my bike!)

when it getts to dirty it harms you carb before it harms you engine, it will plug the jets and stuff, when the dirt gets to your engine it will scratch you cinder walls, which is really bad,

dont get a new one, it is still a good air filter.

so just wash it and oil not get a new one?

and what happens when its dirty? it gets into the engine and causes...?

You will lose power with a dirty airfilter. Plus, it screws with your jetting and could cause fouled plugs.

Okay so cleaner and oil it is. its a twin air filter so do I get twin air cleaner and oil? Also, once the cleaner/oil arrives how exactly do I use it? I just barely have started to have to actually maintain my bike since its now at my house so Im pretty new to this.

Do I just spray on the cleaner and wash it and thel smear oil all over it? or what?

Okay so cleaner and oil it is. its a twin air filter so do I get twin air cleaner and oil? Also, once the cleaner/oil arrives how exactly do I use it? I just barely have started to have to actually maintain my bike since its now at my house so Im pretty new to this.

Do I just spray on the cleaner and wash it and thel smear oil all over it? or what?

it dosent matter what oil you get, anything but k and n oil will work good

just pour it on the filter and rub in, it is easy, get your manual, it will tell you all the basics

be sure not to get too much oil in the filter:thumbsup:

Haha, cool. i just bought filter cleaner and oil, 2 stroke oil, tranny oil, coolant, chain lube all for $40 from RockymountainATV so it should be here on monday.

When I spreay the filter with the cleaner how much do I use and what do I do after I spray it on?

Haha, cool. i just bought filter cleaner and oil, 2 stroke oil, tranny oil, coolant, chain lube all for $40 from RockymountainATV so it should be here on monday.

When I spreay the filter with the cleaner how much do I use and what do I do after I spray it on?

its kinda hard to expain, just put enoughf on to cover the whole filter, then rub it in really good untill the whole thing is saturated in oil inside and out

What do you think the best way to wash your filter is? I just got a couple of gallons of mineral spirits in a 5 gallon bucket, soaked the filter in it ( cuts the filter oil) , squeezed out the excess. I let it dry out a bit, hit it with the hot water and soap. Let her dry again, then oil it. I guess it's good to have atleast 2 filters, to rotate one in. :confused: