Sign in to follow this  

Powernow and Powernow Plus on RFS Bikes. Anyone?

Anyone put the Powernow and Power plus combo in their RFS bike yet? If so hows it working?

I'm leaning more towrads the HT torque pipe and torque vane but want to explore all options....I ride at 9-10K elevation so my 525 is the equivilant of a 395 bike up here!

I read about you flatlanders pulling powerwheelies in 3rd and 4th gear and it makes me......Envious?

My bike is plenty fast on the trails....But a guy likes to get in a Hoolum ride every now and then. Hence the need for raw nasty wheel lofting power for those dirt road days with the fellas! As its stands my 525 is jetted right set up right and faster than my buddies 525 as he hasnt fooled with the AC pump or added a leak jet or any exhuast tweaks short of cutting the restrictor so I know I'm "There" for an RFS at high altitude. I just want to maximize my "There" Whilst trying to avoid stroker/bigger bore kits and other pricey engine work to get closer to "There".

Make sense at all?

I'm a flatlander and I'm interested in that also. Besides liking to endlessly modify my bikes, I'd like to beef up the 450 a tad bit. It has plenty... but why not get all there is out of it.

Chazmanian... I was up at Winterpark skiing (1.5 hours out of Denver) a month ago and the whole time we were driving out and while up on the mountain I was thinking.... this must be a great place to ride in the summer. I really like to ski.. but I'd love to give that place a shot on my KTM.

I'm a flatlander and I'm interested in that also. Besides liking to endlessly modify my bikes, I'd like to beef up the 450 a tad bit. It has plenty... but why not get all there is out of it.

Chazmanian... I was up at Winterpark skiing (1.5 hours out of Denver) a month ago and the whole time we were driving out and while up on the mountain I was thinking.... this must be a great place to ride in the summer. I really like to ski.. but I'd love to give that place a shot on my KTM.

Not only is there some drop dead gorgeous terrain and scenery but there are lots and lots of extremely challenging trails.

Oh yeah and the power robbing altitude!

The HT Racing torque header is a real winner. The vane helps the low end but takes its toll on mid to top end. I removed the vane and kept the pipe. Off bottom, the "hit" is adjustable with the AP. I haven't tried the Merge Racing stronger AP spring, but that should be a step in the right direction. Many have used an Oring (or several) and/or wire tying it solid to achieve more aggressive AP squirt.

At that altitude in the summer, your required jetting will seem really lean... but will make a huge difference when it is right.

RH

The HT Racing torque header is a real winner. The vane helps the low end but takes its toll on mid to top end. I removed the vane and kept the pipe. Off bottom, the "hit" is adjustable with the AP. I haven't tried the Merge Racing stronger AP spring, but that should be a step in the right direction. Many have used an Oring (or several) and/or wire tying it solid to achieve more aggressive AP squirt.

At that altitude in the summer, your required jetting will seem really lean... but will make a huge difference when it is right.

RH

The notoriously lean showroom stock 525 EXC actually ran perfect up here. I did change the jetting as well as adding a leak jet float bowl to lose the 1/4 throttle bog. I use the thin O-Ring. My bike runs strong up here....But anything will lose a grip of power at 10K.

I'm going with the HT Pipe combined with my siooper illegal non-spark arrested 08' XC muffler (Ordered a PMB arrestor it just aint here yet).:confused:

Try adding another o ring or two...

RH

I had the thick O-Ring and when was told to run the small with my Leak Jet Bowl mod......

I will also fess up and say that my bike is jetted as close to personally by James Dean himself. After fiddling and faddling and failing with an F-2 powerback kit I ordered Deans kit and still had the bog at high altitude. He gave his personal jetting specs on an RFS bike he rides here in Colorado. I copied em' to the "T" and it ran perfectly.No bog. Great mileage. Smooth and perfect. I havent attempted to change a thing since!

I suppose I'm still not "4 stroker jetting" educated yet....It runs so well that I dont want to change it. Its stronger everywhere than my buddies bike shop jetted 525 EXC and it never bogs. So I think my jetting is on and my plug checks out well.......

What will adding another O-Ring change? a harder squirt for more low end punch?

Chaz,

I have the Powernow but not the Powernow Plus on my 525 EXC. I installed the Powernow the day before putting in the JD Jet kit and did notice a difference down low. It didn't make the bike scream but it helped with bog when twisting the twisty thing on the right side of the handlebar really hard. Off-idle accelleration seemed much better.

I would be interested to see how much difference there would have been if I installed it after the JD kit.

Some people swear by the powernow, some don't. I'll certainly put one on my next bike and will always use the JD Jetting Kit.

What happens is when the carb is big for the engine air flow at idle is too slow for good siponing of the gas so responce sufferes. The Vane of a Power Now or the one HT makes on the back of the carb straightens out that air flow focusing it more at the jet. Thus when you have a big carb it halps a lot. My personal 450 has a 41mm carb and it helped, a 250 with a 39mm carb it should help a lot. A 525 with a 39mm carb? If it helps it is going to be little.

Any of these application need to be jetted right and the AC pump working right first!