Sign in to follow this  

losing pacience with new wheel

I finally got around to respacing my new Sm wheels (white bro's excel/talon) I built my own truing stand (out of jackstands... works for now) before I attempted to work on them and read countless articles and threads on how to true a wheel. Eddie, thanks again for offering to help me out. I thought this was a good learning experience for me and being that my training schedule (work) has been delayed lately, I thought this would be the perfect time to sit down and figure out how to do it on my own.

Here's the problem I'm having. I used the rotor edge as my primary reference for truing the wheel. I started first with "roundness" then worked on "axial runout." After a few hours, I had the wheel PERFECT (on the rotor side). The sprocket side, on the other hand, was less then perfect. It had a definite imperfection that I could not get out without completely ruining the "trueness" of the other side. The imperfection in the wheel was located directly at the weld seam of the wheel. Is this normal? What are acceptable runout limits? I'm sure if I remounted the tire and never thought about it again, I would never notice it. It just angers me that I can't get the wheels PERFECT!

Am I alone here? or could there be a manufacturer flaw in these rims?

edit: Here's a video of the wheel untrueness. The other side if nearly PERFECT.

You often have to over look the weld seam. Just skip what ever the weld seam is doing. What do you call perfect? .010 in, .020, .030? Less the better but really anything less than 1mm (.040) is pointless. 2mm axial and 2mm radial are the usual min standards. As you now know, you can do much better than that, but save yourself a headache and stop at 1mm and overlook the weld if it is worse than that.

You often have to over look the weld seam. Just skip what ever the weld seam is doing. What do you call perfect? .010 in, .020, .030? Less the better but really anything less than 1mm (.040) is pointless. 2mm axial and 2mm radial are the usual min standards. As you now know, you can do much better than that, but save yourself a headache and stop at 1mm and overlook the weld if it is worse than that.

That's what I had to do... overlook the weld. Everything else (roundness and axial runout) is less then 1mm, but the weld seem is about 2mm. Very annoying. Not what I expected from a premium excel rim. Especially annoying when i compare it to the OEM wheel I have that is right on the money. Almost tempted to take the OEM 4.5 rear rim and swap it out for my 4.25 excel/talon.