Sign in to follow this  

Poison Spider Suitable for Family

Taking the family to Moab for the week then meeting up with 20 bros to man ride for a few days. Someone mentioned that I might take the family on Poison Spider. I have a 14 son, 12 daughter, 8 son and the wiff. All have been riding for a long time but don't want to put them in something over their heads. :confused: Whattaya think?

Poison Spider is not a technical ride. You should be able to ride around OK.

However, they call it "Poison" for a reason. There are several 500+ foot shear drops in that area and some sneak up on you if you're not paying attention.

I remember a rider that got stuck on a steep slope at Poison Spider on a trial bike and got so scared that he wouldn't move. We had to grab him and walk him up. I don't like heights but this guy was in tears.

Everybody reacts differently but I would pay a lot of attention to where the kids are.

I would be a little worried about the younger ones riding the type of bikes that fit them, which means bikes with smaller wheels. There are plenty of rock ledges and rough terrain that bigger bikes easily navigate and wheelie over that could cause problems for small bikes. I wouldn't do Poison Spider with the 8 year old.

I would definitely keep them out of Gold Bar/ Spike. Poison hooks up to those so make sure you don't go to far. Those trails kinda run all together.

My wife has a TTR230 and my sons GF has a TTR125. They are beginners.

Both my son and I agree that we'd be in big trouble if we took them on Poison Spider. Maybe we could ride up the waterfall for them but I doubt they'd even like the rip rap or rock enfested road right from the river.

But what's hard for some is a nothing for others.

They liked Sand Flats road and the CG's most and they did ok on Gemini Bridges and back tho. :confused: Then they played cards in the MH while we had fun.

I probably would not do it unless they ahve some experience with Advanced technical stuff, it isnt crazy hard but there are some spots that will certainly challenge the smaller guys, in sayng that I have some friends with kids that can easy up that trail, take your time, the waterfall is something that would be hard, but you could ride for them as someone else said but be careful because it isnt hard to get turned around and end up on Golden Spike or in a bad spot and you can always turn around. There are some pretty bumpy spots and tough rocks to ride, I wouldn't be worried about the bikes so much as the skills, I have seen a lot of TTR125's and KX100's up there but they were pretty good riders.

Kane creek is pretty good until you get closer to the end but youll have time to see it and turn around, Hurrah Pass is really easy. If you ride Fins n Things starting from the entrance closet to Slickrock it is a good ride and can be done as a family, It is considered Intermediate technical compared to Advanced for Poison Spider. But dont take Fins to Porcupine Rim (there is one spot thats pretty narly), bring it back by looping around on Fins. There are lots of signs.

One thing Ill mention, when you get to the entrance of the Kane Creek there is a lot of open riding and some easy in and out trails to ride.

If you want an idea here are some pictures of Poison Spider, pics 11-37 with the exception of #20 and I am not sure about 17 +18 either but the rest between 11-37 are the deal.

http://obgod3.smugmug.com/gallery/2494661_XVYwW#130956589

Others that might work are:

Arches

Gemini Bridges

Bartlet Wash

There's my 02.

Have fun.

Whattaya think?

Like the others have said, I wouldn't take them on it unless they've done some of the easier trails and are excelling on obstacles and ledges and stuff. If they dig that, then take them on it and watch the fun!!

There's the Sovereign trail, too. Not the singletrack but the wider trails out there might be good if you have beginners. Maybe Monitor/Merrimac?

White Wash. The Utah Trail Machine does their family rides there for a reason.

My kids are little older than yours, and I wouldn't take mine on Poison Spider. I would wait until they are 16+ and enjoy technical rides.

You might consider Klondike Bluffs (on a non crowded mountain biker day), Onion Creek (very easy with fun stream crossings), Chicken Corners (fun full-day ride), Dome Plateau, or the Dolores River Overlook. My family has enjoyed all of those.

My kids are little older than yours, and I wouldn't take mine on Poison Spider. I would wait until they are 16+ and enjoy technical rides.

You might consider Klondike Bluffs (on a non crowded mountain biker day), Onion Creek (very easy with fun stream crossings), Chicken Corners (fun full-day ride), Dome Plateau, or the Dolores River Overlook. My family has enjoyed all of those.

I'll second these suggestions!

I'll second these suggestions!

To really enjoy Poison Spider, you need to be able to get your front end up - a lot. There are multiple areas where someone who just doesn't know how would end up flying over the handlebars. I think it would be frustrating to someone who doesn't or couldn't do that.

eddie