First ride on Yz250

Well I purchased a brand new off the showroom floor 06 yz250. Today I had the chance to to go sledding in the morning and then go ride my new yz in the afternoon, what an awsome day!

Power- WOW! I am coming off of a gas gas ec300 and this bikes tears it apart. I was just breaking it in but I still did a few hill climbs and it was everything I expected then some. It is hard to keep the front wheel off the ground.

Handling- The bike turns very well, and feels very light. It can sometimes feel to light when you are riding over roots and rocks and you are on the gas the front end can get scary. I will for sure be adding a stabalizer.

Overall I am very happy with the purchase and am adding the wr gears as soon as possible.

Glad to hear it. I know you were apprehensive at first but now you're a believer it sounds like! Good find.:confused:

Well I purchased a brand new off the showroom floor 06 yz250. Today I had the chance to to go sledding in the morning and then go ride my new yz in the afternoon, what an awsome day!

Power- WOW! I am coming off of a gas gas ec300 and this bikes tears it apart. I was just breaking it in but I still did a few hill climbs and it was everything I expected then some. It is hard to keep the front wheel off the ground.

Handling- The bike turns very well, and feels very light. It can sometimes feel to light when you are riding over roots and rocks and you are on the gas the front end can get scary. I will for sure be adding a stabalizer.

Overall I am very happy with the purchase and am adding the wr gears as soon as possible.

how much does an '06 YZ250 fetch for in canada?

you better take that bike back somthing is wrong it should be really hard to keep the front wheel on the ground:thumbsup:

Today I had the chance to to go sledding in the morning and then go ride my new yz in the afternoon, what an awsome day! Quote

Please do not tell us that here in Ontario. We know you can do that in B.C. and we hate you because of it!

Just kidding, 05,06,07 YZ 250 2 strokes make excellant Harescramble bikes, you may want to revalve the fork but ride it a bit 1st and see what you think.

And never rub that ride my sled in the AM, ride my bike in the PM in our face anymore. Thank you.

Good to hear you enjoyed the bike.

Interesting on the power delivery that you mentioned over the 300 GG. I have never heard or known anybody to compare.

In may be prudent to have the forks re-valved for offroad work if that is your preference as the Yz is set up strock as a SX bike.

how much does an '06 YZ250 fetch for in canada?

we picked it up for under 6, and that is an awsome deal. If was between this and a ktm 300xc, but it would have been 3 grand more.

The power of this bike is great compared to my old GG 300. the bottom is close to the same but the 300 as a little more, everywhere else the 300 does not stand a chance. It is still easy to lug this bike a gear high. I was expecting to have to change the gearing around to get a lower first gear but after the ride, it does really well before stalling.

I need to find a way to keep the front end from getting so crazy.

rekluse will make it not so crazy

Its not a power problem, I think its just that the suspension has not broken in yet.

we picked it up for under 6, and that is an awsome deal. If was between this and a ktm 300xc, but it would have been 3 grand more.

The power of this bike is great compared to my old GG 300. the bottom is close to the same but the 300 as a little more, everywhere else the 300 does not stand a chance. It is still easy to lug this bike a gear high. I was expecting to have to change the gearing around to get a lower first gear but after the ride, it does really well before stalling.

Canadian $6k for a brand new '06 YZ250 and a $9k for a katoom 300! wow, that would still seem quite a lot... but anyway, different countries have different mark ups for each item. bought my '08 from the US for about US$6.7k, shipped it here in manila, and it cost me another US$1k.

i agree with the bottom end power... you might wanna check your stock jetting by looking into your plug after sometime of riding. i leaned out mine 1 step down on the pilot and main jets just so recently to compensate for the hot weather here, and noticed a boost in throttle response and power.

enjoy the bike, mate... kindly post some pics of it :confused:

Set your sag, check tire pressure. Also, the SSS fork sometimes comes from the factory with inconsistant oil levels. Go with the least amount that the manual says in the lower chamber. It makes the fork much more woods friendly.

Fine tune with the clickers. A good starting point is Upallnight's settings. Do a search.

Right now im riding around 3000ft, Would the stock jetting still be to rich? It is difficult for me to tell because it is my first time on the bike and I dont really know what it should be like.

The dealer has my manual, but what is the correct tire pressure?

thanks.

Right now im riding around 3000ft, Would the stock jetting still be to rich? It is difficult for me to tell because it is my first time on the bike and I dont really know what it should be like.

The dealer has my manual, but what is the correct tire pressure?

thanks.

suggest do not touch anything yet, mate. i assume you are safe at stock jetting (size 50 pilot and 178 main) ....should be "ok" for colder countries, not quite though for tropical climates where i live.

what's the temp out there, freezing?

Hey Flynn,

You and I ride similar terrain and climates (unless you're in the Okanagon or way up north near Prince Rupert). You need to lean it out. Check out the jetting sticky at the top of the page.

I'm running N3EJ needle in #2 position, 172MJ and 45PJ. My needle is leaner than yours which is a N3EW. Tire pressure is 15PSI but I run it lower usually 11-13 depending on available trail traction and speed I will be riding at.

I would start with your needle (raise clip) and a leaner PJ first and then perhaps a leaner MJ too.

Thanks guys for the good info.

Shrub, I live in whistler and all my riding is 3000 and above, sometimes reaching over 7000ft. To be honest the bike feels lean if anything. I am going for another ride today and I will let you know how it goes.

Shrub, I live in whistler and all my riding is 3000 and above, sometimes reaching over 7000ft. To be honest the bike feels lean if anything. I am going for another ride today and I will let you know how it goes.

yup, test it first for some more time, mate. is it almost freezing out there?

before you adjust the jetting, do read your plug first. if the plug is black (and wet), then refer to RCannon's suggestion.

i haven't tried yet the N3EJ stock needle of the '06 YZ250 model. you and i are running the slightly richer needle N3EW at the current. i will be leaning out again (today) to a 45 pilot jet and 172 main jet. i'm running 32 : 1 ratio, motul 800 2T. my plug is still black and kinda wet even after leaning out 1 step across. temperatures here are now between plus 90 (morning) to 100 (noon) degrees fahrenheit. our playgrounds are somewhere between 1000-1500 ft only. if i see i'm still rich at 45 pilot and 172 main, then i may just try putting in the '06 needle, N3EJ :confused:

p.s.

oops, i'm sorry, you are running the N3EJ on your '06 blue 250, after all!

abbreviated process. break in the bike, then try jetting the pilot and main jet separately. if you are really trying to jet the main jet at your current temperature, you need to do a high rpm run (drag racing style) with a new plug and shut down your bike, not allowing the engine to go back to idle rpm. read the plug for your main jet. for the pilot and air screw, set your throttle to about 1/3 throttle and start turning the air screw. if you can't get to the cleaner run transition (rpm change) between 0-1/2 turn and 2 1/2 turns out, change your pilot accordingly. changing your pilot and main at the same time to tune will get you to pull your hair out.

I have an 05 YZ 250, and a 07 GG 300, both setup well and are well jetted with kits. Yes the yz250 brings on the power more suddenly, my GG is pretty fast though too and the difference in TQ between the two is substantially noticable.

I think you are a little smoke screened on the illusion of power between the two because of the aggresive power delivery of the yz, that or your GG did not run as good as you thought, cause my 300 jams up the hills like a 450 4t, my YZ well....feels like a nice 250 2t up the same hill! I just rode both bikes back to back at the track this weekend and both were really fast bikes in their unique ways and both sweet bikes.

BUT.....

As a casual rider I was faster on the track with the YZ for only 1 reason, the rekluse. Yes the rekulse made me a faster rider, if my GG had the rekluse instead I would have been faster on that instead.

Something may have gotten lost in the translation from English to metric?? If you're riding from 3000-7000 feet now at whistler you must be dodging alpine skiers and snowmobiles. There's a TON of snow now at that elevation here now.

3000ft=914m

7000ft=2133m

If you are somehow riding at these elevations then you will be lean as the temps must be freezing. The cool air causes you to run lean but I had my stock jetting save for a 172MJ when I rode in the snow here just after Christmas. LOTS and LOTS of spooge because the expansion chamber was caked in snow and my pilot jet was too rich as well. Gotta raise combustion temperature to burn the fuel properly thereby avoiding spooge.:confused:

haha sorry, but im talking in general. Right now im trying to stay as low as I can in order to stay out of the snow (around 2500FT). As soon as the snow melts I will be doing most if not all of my riding above this elevation.

Hollywood, My GG was an 03 and maybe they changed the engine between then and 07? My GAS GAS was alot easier to ride because the power was alot slower to build up. Riding that bike was like an illusion, you would be going alot faster than it seemed. I love to hill climb and the yz250 not only goes up faster but easier. All in all they may be close in power but I think the YZ over shadows the mighty 300.