motocross entrepreneur

Hi I am trying to put together a project of trying to open a indoor mx track near the mv,va,wv. i was wondering what kind of things would you like on a indoor mx track. I also want to add a in house full service shop for people to get what they need a the track. We would also like to add a motocross track around the property on the outside of the facility with showering wash bay and camping. I would like to know what the motocross community would like to see or expect in this type of facility. Thank you I am looking forward to hearing all the comments you have to offer:ride:

I like the idea of a indoor/outdoor combo. If we had a good track, with that combo around here, I would get their 'all you can ride, Gold membership'.

With diesel prices soaring it would be nice to go to a 'all in one place' instead of traveling all over the place.

As far as the track setup goes, I would suggest lots of tables, with a couple of moderate doubles. Tables are fun for people who like to get air, but still have to make it to work on Monday.

Dang, if it were in the OH, PA, WV area that'd be sweet. As for the track, I like what usmcpaul said, lots of tables and a few doubles. Maybe a step up or two. There is one jump at my track I really like though. It is right out of (basically you have no run up except the ramp face) a 90 degree left hand turn. The face is about 4 feet high, and the jump distance is only about 10 feet. You don't really go far, I just like that jump, that's all.

I wish it was going to be in UTAH.

I like the Table Top jumps and maybe some smaller doubles for us working fools. As far as the facility goes dont forget about the future of our sport a Pee Wee track is always the first thing I look for when I am venturing to a new track. A wash rack would be awsome and if you have the cash get full RV hook ups. Another thing I like is a asphalt pit area, kind of helps keep things clean. If your going to put in a service center make sure the help is knowledgable and not some punk working there so he can ride free on his days off. Make sure all prices are reasonable. Thats not to much to ask is it?:confused:

Remember, Americans want the most, for the least. Read Sam Waltons book. He always made things as as cheap as possible for the customer and people flocked to Wall-Mart. Even by his own admission, some of the early Wall-Marts were kind of a dive, but the prices were right and people kept coming back.

Cheap concessions should be a big part of your business plan. I know that if a place sells hotdogs/pop cheap enough, I wont bring my own because it's not worth the hassle, and there is a lot of profit in concessions

Parts and service are much more difficult to stay competitive with, for a lot of reasons.

It's a difficult balancing act; You have to make money to stay open, but if you charge too much, people will not come back (and they won't tell you why either, they just smile and say they had a good time, and then never return).

Good Luck.

Learn to run a business first. Take classes, or get a degree in business. You may ask, "why is that important"? Building a track is easy. Running a business is not. An indoor facility will be expensive. If can't run the business end of it, you won't succeed.

All good points. If I were you, i would start researching all of the failed motocross tracks and look into some of the problems that they had. One of the biggest problems these days is in insurance. Very expensive for poor coverage. Just because you can get money doesn't mean you should waste it on a poor business plan and bad business vision. Just keep doing your research and keep asking yourself, "can I lose my ass on this and would it be worth it?"

Also, IMHO, the last thing I would be thinking about right now is track layout since it would probably change weekly once you open up. Just keep your ducks in a row and your head on straight.

Let us know how things go

Chad

I would like an indoor track with 2 holes cut in the roof and a jump built up to go out one of them and into the other.

I think it would be cool to have an indoor supermoto

Have a cart track to draw non moto people. their money is green too

Making money is #2, being safe is #1 but I would like it to be affordable

Good flaggers

Hot chicks working the gates

An in house Dr to write excuses so I can present them at work for taking days off

Camp Woodward might make a good model for a money making operation that becomes a destination for the community. Geared towards kids and teens wanting to advance in their sport (skate, bmx, gymnastics, etc.). Woodward is always packed and one hell of a facility. It encorporates teaching areas as well as areas for the big boys to show off. Could translate well.

Camp Woodward might make a good model for a money making operation that becomes a destination for the community. Geared towards kids and teens wanting to advance in their sport (skate, bmx, gymnastics, etc.). Woodward is always packed and one hell of a facility. It encorporates teaching areas as well as areas for the big boys to show off. Could translate well.

except woodward is EXPENSIVE. make it affordable and fun. that way the poeple who cant noramlly go and ride because of the expenses get a chance to ride more often. deffinately put an easier track for the younger kids. make sure you have good insurance, affordable parts and concessions. maybe even throw in a small fmx course for the dudes that do that. also if you have enough space, make a foam pit for fmx'ers to learn tricks and for people that want to learn fmx to use. maybe start mx lessons on certain days, and make sure your tracks are maintained.

good flaggers and try and make the indoor not so tight b/c there is an outlaw AX track in tappohannanok and its a death trap. in door should have medium sized rythm section, whoops, a triple, n a few tables and on off type things. i would also think about a 50 track or somthing of that sort. for the outdoor have big tables, doubles, and step ups/step downs. is the track gona be AMA sanctioned? sounds like itl great id liek to have a place to race durning the winter.

Remember, Americans want the most, for the least. Read Sam Waltons book. He always made things as as cheap as possible for the customer and people flocked to Wall-Mart. Even by his own admission, some of the early Wall-Marts were kind of a dive, but the prices were right and people kept coming back.

Cheap concessions should be a big part of your business plan. I know that if a place sells hotdogs/pop cheap enough, I wont bring my own because it's not worth the hassle, and there is a lot of profit in concessions

Parts and service are much more difficult to stay competitive with, for a lot of reasons.

It's a difficult balancing act; You have to make money to stay open, but if you charge too much, people will not come back (and they won't tell you why either, they just smile and say they had a good time, and then never return).

Good Luck.

That's a good point we were trying to figure out what type of prices we will charge for this type of facility

except woodward is EXPENSIVE. make it affordable and fun. that way the poeple who cant noramlly go and ride because of the expenses get a chance to ride more often. deffinately put an easier track for the younger kids. make sure you have good insurance, affordable parts and concessions. maybe even throw in a small fmx course for the dudes that do that. also if you have enough space, make a foam pit for fmx'ers to learn tricks and for people that want to learn fmx to use. maybe start mx lessons on certain days, and make sure your tracks are maintained.

you mentioned that Woodward was expensive what do you think would be a reasonable price for something like this.

you mentioned that Woodward was expensive what do you think would be a reasonable price for something like this.

i would say a good reasonable price would be 10 bucks for a day for kids 15-20 for adults, maybe for a years pass 200-300. nothing that is at such a high price that people cant afford it, because the price of keeping your bikes in good shape is expensive enough and some people arent fortunate enough to own their own land.

^^^^At that price I would buy 3 yearly passes, unfortunatly at those price levels I dont think the owner would have have a profit. $15 per day per rider, Pee Wees $5-$10 per day depending on what track they ride and age.

For those that dont buy the season pass make every 10th ride free.

^^^^At that price I would buy 3 yearly passes, unfortunatly at those price levels I dont think the owner would have have a profit. $15 per day per rider, Pee Wees $5-$10 per day depending on what track they ride and age.

For those that dont buy the season pass make every 10th ride free.

that may be true, but its also true that more people would be prone to buy the passes at such an affordable price