Sign in to follow this  

Msf

I have had my license for 18+ years. The Marine Corps has an order about making you take the MSF every three years. After all this time, and 6 times through the course, I still always manage to learn at least 1 thing. Who's been through it, and what was the thing you will never forget?

If you have not, you should. MSF is great.

Maybe we can share some experience here.

Oh boy, I hope bronco reads this:lol: :confused::excuseme: :excuseme:

They did a great job of teaching my wife how to ride, I personally haven't taken their course but have often considered taking the experience rider one.

The best part is its free on base...

They are actually dieing to get people to volunteer to be trained as instructor trainers. (That's bux in the civ world). I would, but I go to Iraq in a couple months..family>class for 18 days.

I have learned a lot from the course. In Illinois the course is free, $20 deposit to hold your seat in advance. We offer 3 different courses this year in the southern IL region, the normal BRC, the IRC (intermediate rider course), and the ERC (experienced rider course).

Most people know what the BRC is, the IRC is designed for those who already have riding experience or have completed the BRC and want more practice. The ERC is for those who currently ride, and the course is taken on your personal motorcycle.

It is hard to beat free, and if you decide to take the BRC and donate your deposit, you are paying around $1.00/hr for use of a motorcycle and instruction on how to ride it and minimize hazards on the street, plus the lesson materials and use of helmets are provided. If that isn't a fair deal, you are free to find somewhere that is cheaper!

If you'd taken a local MSF course before your 21st birthday, like this one, your fee would have been subsidized.

There are 1000 excuses not to take one, but that's not the topic.

What did you take away from the course?

I learned not everyone should be on a motorcycle based off some of the people who rocked out.

There are 1000 excuses not to take one, but that's not the topic.

What did you take away from the course?

It's only as good as the instructors,

Like every company, MSF has great people, and really bad ones,,, yet, they still allow them to work..

Gunny, I may have you by a few years in service, riding and number of MSF courses I've "had to take", so this is just what I've seen.. yours and others observations may be completely different.

What I'll say is, everyone should go take a MSF (or better Team Oregon , if you live in OR)

but keep in mind, the instructor, is just just an average rider, that paid his money, took the course himself, then passed a very basic instructional course, and is now set loose on the public as an "expert" Making HUGE money for MSF. I've found many of the instructors are far from subject matter experts.. more like a "Tech" on a computer help line.. they know only what they have been told to say (what the computer in front of them says) . And at least one, that was down right dangerous with what he was "teaching"

At some point in history, MSF was just out to teach Motorcycle safety, now they are out to make money, the instructors follow a cookie cutter approach to riding, mostly an ok thing, and along the way most learn something useful.

I have lost of actual observations to support my claims, this is not stuff I heard or read on line.... So take it for whats it's worth.

Bottom line,,,, As long as the instructors stick to the program of instruction and they and not complete idiots,, It is a good basic course. Worth taking for all new riders.

I am also in the military and have taken the course 42,000,000 times........it get me off work for a couple of days.

The greatest bit of info I have learned is that there are alot of first time riders who buy a 1,000,000 horsepower bike and don't know how to accelerate, brake, turn, stop blah blah blah safely. Alot of the guys are short like myself and can barely touch the ground so I don't understand why they would want to get a bike that is too tall or heavy for them to really learn on.........now before any one gets crazy on me and does the "let people get what they want blah blah blah etc." I don't really care myself what someone wants to do with their life, just pointing out what I have seen.

Hombre

Oh, had a chance to take the instructor course next month, but don't have time.......military gets you cert'd for free also to teach through MSF. So, if you want to do the MSF course or Become an instructor for FREE, you could always join the military.

. So, if you want to do the MSF course or Become an instructor for FREE, you could always join the military.
The MSF course has been free on every post I've been stationed at.. BUT the last two, MSF instructors were contracted as part of the overall post safety drivers training program.. A civilian company owns the contract.. No one is getting anything for free.. you want to be an instructor,, pays your money, then go apply for a job.. military or not, makes no difference.

The Basic and experienced course are free for Military and family, but the instructor course is not. at least here at Fort Hood, and at Fort Lewis when I was there. Never checked at Fort Bragg, Fort Hood, Fort Jackson, Fort Wainwright, or Fort Richardson.

AND JUST TO BE SURE I"M NOT MISQOUTED...... YES both MSF courses are a GREAT idea for new riders... Like a DOC of any other service provider, one bad one, does not make the training or service a bad idea.. Just find a better instructor.

Wow I am really surprised at the responses here. Never thought it would be so negative. I live in IL, it cost me a 20.00 deposit. They provided the motorcycles and a place to ride. I had a fantastic time. Everything I learned about riding was new. Had I listened to their advice I would never have broken my ankle two years back.

I recomend the MSF course to anyone who listens.

Oh yeah, and best part is you get to use their bikes and test on last day of class. If you pass you go to your dmv and get the M stamp on your license. I saw a bunch of dropped bikes, and a bunch of people learn alot on those few evenings. And no body had to pay anything for it. As far as I am concerned, if you want your license here in in illinois, this is the only way to go. I wont lend my bike to you to go test for the first time, and driving a motorcycle around without an m cert is illegal.

I am taking the middle course with my SM, and would like to take the advanced course some day. They were fun and in a controlled environment, I will continue to take them. I really dont understand why someone wouldnt...

I knew a guy in Tahoe whom was a retired MSF instructor. He was very knowledgeable and passionate about riding. He was always seeking out info about riding, and alwayswas talking motorcycles. I bet he would have been a good instructor.

Okay,

Then I guess if you want it for free, join the Navy. :excuseme: On a serious note though, that is strange, every MSF instructor I have ever met got the course without paying a dime out of their pocket, they just have to teach on base for the Safety Department. We also have civilians who teach the course, but most of the instructors are active duty. They do teach off base on the side and make good cash. :confused:

Can you teach an old dog new tricks ?

They taught this old dawg new tricks. I think I was right at 60 when I took it. Best $80 I have spent. I had ridden before, but it had been a few years (like about 45...:confused: ).

They taught this old dawg new tricks. I think I was right at 60 when I took it. Best $80 I have spent. I had ridden before, but it had been a few years (like about 45...:excuseme: ).

I hope I can still ride when I grow up.:confused: