WR interchange-ability?

I thought I would pick your brains. I am just tossing some ideas around here. I have an '05 WR450 and an '01 WR426. The 426 is a legit dual sport conversion. I am downsizing the garage and plan to keep the 426 because of it's street registration. I am tapering down the desert racing and moving toward organized dual sport rides. I would like to sell the '05 but have become attatched to electric start. What do you guys know about the '05 motor fitting in the '01 frame (it's midnight and I am brainstorming and I have not even looked to see if the mounts are anywhere near similar so bear with me:bonk: ) and any issues involved with mismatching VIN's? I guess what I am saying is the only part of the 426 I want/need is the frame with the license plate as far as the DMV is concerned. I suppose i would run into some difficulty with finding room for the battery in the 426 frame but that may be moot. I only need one bike but I want the best of what both have to offer in that one bike. Should I keep both and go back to sleep?

Even if it does fit your going to have a problem with the engine serial #. In CA motorcyle titles include both the VIN number and the engine number. Probably unlikely you will ever be checked but if you ever intend to sell it things could get ugly.

You really only have 2 options. Sell the 450 and kick start or keep both. How much time do you really spend starting your bike. I'm old and never even gave it a thought when I bought my 426. All the bikes I had, when I grew up kick started. I can only think of a couple times in the woods where the electric would be nice,but not neccessary.

Sounds like quite a bit of trouble. clearly you love your wr's.

I would make sure I have the decompression cam in the 426 and then put a rekluse on it. That way, once its started, it won't shut off.

Then you could sell the 05 and pocket the money.

I have a plated 05. Give me about six months or so and I'll probably be selling it. So make me an offer then. I'm stilll racing, but I have just bought a yz250 smoker to race on. Once its dialed in, I bet my plated wr450 will be getting pretty lonely in the garage.

My .02. I think you could get the 450 motor to fit without a problem since the frames really did not change much between 01 to 05. You could probably bolt on the 05 subframe so the battery and air box will transfer right over. As far as the engine #'s go, I would be certain that if you go to the DMV the have provisions to change the engine # on the title. People blow up the engines in their cars all the time and put in rebuilt motors. Why should a motorcycle be any different? The only problem is that the 450 would be pretty worthless at that point. At that point you might as well transfer as many parts as you can. Swingarm, suspension ect... Sounds like a fun project. Please post your results with pics.

My .02. I think you could get the 450 motor to fit without a problem since the frames really did not change much between 01 to 05. You could probably bolt on the 05 subframe so the battery and air box will transfer right over. As far as the engine #'s go, I would be certain that if you go to the DMV the have provisions to change the engine # on the title. People blow up the engines in their cars all the time and put in rebuilt motors. Why should a motorcycle be any different? The only problem is that the 450 would be pretty worthless at that point. At that point you might as well transfer as many parts as you can. Swingarm, suspension ect... Sounds like a fun project. Please post your results with pics.

MAx hit it on the head! I, too, think there isn't a whole lot of difference between the 426 and early 450 frames...the rear brake reservoir bracket and coil brackets are gone on the newer frames, and the top mount plates might be different, but you can get those from the 450. The subframe and airbox shold bolt right on, solving the battery problem. Don't forget about the ignition black box and voltage regulator...in fact, I would move the entire wire harness over as well.

Because you don't have to worry about emisions (the real issue with swapping engines (and thus engine numbers) in cars, you simply go to the DMV, fill out a "Statement of Fact" form that says you blew up engine no XXXXXXXXX, and installed used engine no XXXXXXX, and they will send you a new title that reflects (after you pay your fees, of course).

I, too would swap out the forks and clamps, swing arm, shock and linkage, plastics, tank and seat (you will have to make some brackets for the tank, but do a search for 450 plastics or bodywork on a 426 and you will find several threads telling you how to do this). You may have to diddle with the pipe, but I would bet the 450 header and can will bolt right up. At least do a trial fit of the motor and see what happens...all you have invested is a saturday afternoon!

It sounds like a great project!

You could always just swap (wink) the tags for a ride and claim an oops if checked. I dunno about you guys but my officer encounters have been more like...license and registration...here's your ticket. No VIN checks etc. Do you really think an officer's gonna get suspicious anyway between an 01 and an 05 426\450? Also, check the VINs to see how close they are...may be able to do a little custom part installation accidental grinding to eliminate the non matching numbers...know what I mean?

I don't know about Alabama, but in Ca. grinding serial numbers is a big no no! You could in up in jail for just possessing a vehicle with a grinded VIN or at least a big ticket and you will lose the bike, with a lot of red tape to get it back. Don't do it!

Hey guys, great responses. I knew I could count on getting some good feedback here. To mauricedorris, the 426 already HAS a Rekluse so that part is covered. I am also kicking around the idea of racing a YZ250 in the future so it sounds like we have some things in common. My big issue is that I have four bikes and need to spend some money on other things right now. That's why maxtherat's post makes sense to me by saying the 450 would be worthless after the swap. Who wants an 05 450 with an 01 426 motor in it? I don't know if I would get enough cash for it to justify all the work and hassle. This is why I posed the question here. I can live without the button but it's been a huge asset in desert racing when the bike stalls, I have it lit back up before I can even put a foot down, and that's because I am 5'7" so I need all the help i can get! I did consider swapping as much of the 05 over to the street licensed frame but the point is, the 05 that's left over would be worth so little...:confused: Birdy426 is making me want to do it though.:excuseme: I don't want a DMV hassle, EVER. The 426 was plated before the ban and I have no worries there. Oh, who knows. The 450 is posted for sale on the District 37 message board and if no one is interested, I may prep both bikes for surgery.

Burley-

Take a look at what the parts you have left from both bikes are going for on e-bay... I bet you could get a couple hundred for the suspension components, a couple hundred for the wheels (if you don't want to keep 'em for spares), seven or eight hundred for the motor...with a little more work on your part, pretty soon, you're in the "what the 426 would be worth without the plate" neighborhood. I say do it. It would be really, really sweet!

the 426 already HAS a Rekluse...

I am also kicking around the idea of racing a YZ250 in the future...

I have four bikes and need to spend some money on other things...

Who wants an 05 450 with an 01 426 motor in it?

The 426 was plated before the ban and I have no worries there.

Burley, I've seen your bike on the D37 website. Clearly you take care of it. You've even painted your frame to make it look better. If it were a woman, I would say "the carpet matches the drapes!".

If you are like me, most of your rides are races. A green sticker yz250 would be a good race bike. Mine has a wr tranny from a wr400. It needs a little work, so I'll end up paying about $1800 to get it fully setup. Factor in that cost in your final decision.

The 450 with a 426 motor in it will be worth no more than a plain old 426, if you could sell it at all. However, if I were a buyer, I'd rather buy a 426 that is really a 426 instead of something that doesn't match. I'd be nervous that you did something wrong. You've got to consider the ignorance of buyers (like me!)

You need money (like the rest of us), so sell the bike that you can get the most money for. Your 450 may get you the most dollars because its estart and its sweet looking. If you have a rekluse and a plate on the 426, then that is maybe just as good as an e-start, right?

Besides, you gotta keep the 426 to do the dual sport rides and you shouldn't be stalling it quite as much if you aren't in the rocks as much. Don't you have the starting routine down on the 426 by now?

Burley, I've seen your bike on the D37 website. Clearly you take care of it. You've even painted your frame to make it look better. If it were a woman, I would say "the carpet matches the drapes!".

If you are like me, most of your rides are races. A green sticker yz250 would be a good race bike. Mine has a wr tranny from a wr400. It needs a little work, so I'll end up paying about $1800 to get it fully setup. Factor in that cost in your final decision.

The 450 with a 426 motor in it will be worth no more than a plain old 426, if you could sell it at all. However, if I were a buyer, I'd rather buy a 426 that is really a 426 instead of something that doesn't match. I'd be nervous that you did something wrong. You've got to consider the ignorance of buyers (like me!)

You need money (like the rest of us), so sell the bike that you can get the most money for. Your 450 may get you the most dollars because its estart and its sweet looking. If you have a rekluse and a plate on the 426, then that is maybe just as good as an e-start, right?

Besides, you gotta keep the 426 to do the dual sport rides and you shouldn't be stalling it quite as much if you aren't in the rocks as much. Don't you have the starting routine down on the 426 by now?

Maurice, you need to be quiet! This could be a sweeeeeeeeeeet project and many of us want to see if he has the skills to pull it off.

Maurice, you need to be quiet! This could be a sweeeeeeeeeeet project and many of us want to see if he has the skills to pull it off.

You're right.

But what I really want to see is if he can dress up the 426 and make it look as nice as his 450.

Have you guys seen his wr450?

http://www.district37ama.org/forums/showthread.php?t=20442

I race my wr450 and it looks like hell. Its amazing how this bike looks.

I think he's an artist

I am with Birdy on this one. I think it would be a great project one which I will be watching closely (hopefully).

I think you would do pretty well parting out the 426 on Ebay maybe even better than you would just selling the 450 I know I know it is very nice 450. Can I have it?:excuseme:

You would have to become an Ebay expert if you are not already.:excuseme:

Radiators ,wheels, forks, shock engine, brakes,subframe, Pipe, now that i am thinking about it I might be lining up to relieve you of some 426 goodies. :confused:

Good luck.

That's pretty! But don't lose site of the fact he's in Ca. and the 426 is a legit plated bike. In this state, it's quite rare to have one with e-start, and with his skills, he could build something special.

Its only rare if its a yamaha. My 05 is plated, which is why I am keeping it for now.

I'd get rid of mine tomorrow if I could trade it for a street legal 250 race bike (wr or crfx or husky or ktm). I really like riding the technical stuff and fireroads bore me to death. I am sick of busting my ass on the 450 so I am downsizing.

After I get my yz dialed in, I'll be selling my wr and looking for that 250f to replace it.

its good to know that I won't have a problem finding any takers.

I believe a guy named "TeamScream" did a wr450 plastic and subframe etc onto a 426, so you could follow all of his info, add into it the 450to426 frame swap and you got yourself a 02WR450 in 05 clothing... Wish you luck, and by the way "Your 450 is the nicest I've seen!!!":worthy: :confused:

Jamie