SM to S Conversion - Gearing/Chain Length Question

I've recently picked up a set of S wheels for my SM, and plan to run the SM wheels during the week for my commute to work, and the S wheels on the weekends.

The stock SM Chain is just a little too short to fit the 44 tooth rear S sprocket on there, so I am wondering what those who have the same set up are running?

Not sure how many links the stock SM chain is, but I imagine 2 more links would be perfect for both set-ups (41 T SM / 44 T S).

I'm thinking about picking up a Masterlink type chain to replace the stocker....is this a safe option??

Thanks!

Colin

I've recently picked up a set of S wheels for my SM, and plan to run the SM wheels during the week for my commute to work, and the S wheels on the weekends.

The stock SM Chain is just a little too short to fit the 44 tooth rear S sprocket on there, so I am wondering what those who have the same set up are running?

Not sure how many links the stock SM chain is, but I imagine 2 more links would be perfect for both set-ups (41 T SM / 44 T S).

I'm thinking about picking up a Masterlink type chain to replace the stocker....is this a safe option??

Thanks!

Colin

Master link chain is fine. Use a grinder to grind down one of the rivets on the stock one to get it off. When you order your new chain order a couple of extra master links.

OK...here goes...I hope I dont look completely stupid with my question because I am not mechanical what so ever, I just love to ride.

So...I think I want to change my gearing/sprocket. I want more speed at top end. I ride mostly in the canyons and I am wondering how much I will miss the 1st gear in turns if I change out the sprocket. Does it make a difference rear or front sprocket? I dont think it does, just price and looks. But more importantly will I miss that 1st gear? I certainly will be happier at 70MPH. Yesterday I tired to notice how much I was using 1st in the turns and because I was concentrating so much on riding I couldnt tell what gear I was in. I think a few times I was in 1st in the tight uphill turns but I am not positive. So what are your thoughts? I sure dont want to lose too much power in turns cause that is my favorite thing to do, but if it is mostly 2nd Im in while turning then maybe I wont miss that first gear at all. How do they gear for the track? I will be trying track in two weeks. Is there a standard for track and canyons?

All I am saying is I want to rip at high speed and rip in the turns!

But not rip in the ground haha!

I appreciate any and all advice.

Thank you and Happy Easter!

OK...here goes...I hope I dont look completely stupid with my question because I am not mechanical what so ever, I just love to ride.

So...I think I want to change my gearing/sprocket. I want more speed at top end. I ride mostly in the canyons and I am wondering how much I will miss the 1st gear in turns if I change out the sprocket. Does it make a difference rear or front sprocket? I dont think it does, just price and looks. But more importantly will I miss that 1st gear? I certainly will be happier at 70MPH. Yesterday I tired to notice how much I was using 1st in the turns and because I was concentrating so much on riding I couldnt tell what gear I was in. I think a few times I was in 1st in the tight uphill turns but I am not positive. So what are your thoughts? I sure dont want to lose too much power in turns cause that is my favorite thing to do, but if it is mostly 2nd Im in while turning then maybe I wont miss that first gear at all. How do they gear for the track? I will be trying track in two weeks. Is there a standard for track and canyons?

All I am saying is I want to rip at high speed and rip in the turns!

But not rip in the ground haha!

I appreciate any and all advice.

Thank you and Happy Easter!

On stock gearing my SM in stock trim would read 102mph on the speedo, I'm not sure even with taller gearing that you will get more speed as the bike doesn't have that much power in stock trim to pull the higher gearing. Now the bike is tuned it will pull nearly 110mph on the speedo which is a nice increase but even so it's not really what the bike is about is it ?

That's what I understand as well. In stock trim, or lightly modified, an DRZ won't pull the higher gearing to much in the way as far as top speed. What raising the front sprocket or dropping a few teeth on the rear will accomplish is lowering the rpm's for sustained high speed travel.

before I swapped to s wheels I was running 15/37 and could cruise at 85-90 w/ out feeling like I was going to get a 398cc slug up me arse... now im rockin 14/47 w/ knobbies, and it ( needless to say) required a new chain.... I still do a little around town riding, so I think I will be getting a 44 tooth rear... its just super aggressive even on trails w/ this gearing.