Sign in to follow this  

Scorpa SY175F

TTR125 gearbox noise

I just bought an 05 Scorpa SY175F that has the bored out TTR125 Yam engine, no e-start, and magura hydro clutch. It is in very good shape and well maintained, original trials tires still like new. Yesterday the kickstarter kicked back hard against my boot, then a strange knock,rub,peck noise. It speeds up with engine and slows down at idle. Its not in rythym with the engine, but slower like a geartooth on a very large gear every revolution. It does it in neutral, riding slow, with or without clutch pulled in, in gear or out. I pulled the clutch cover and clutch, closely inspected the starter idle gear and the big gear behind clutch basket and all other visible gears. nothing visual could be found. Found a few very small metal chips in the oil screen. Used a magnet thru the holes inside the transmission. No chips. Checked the timing chain and upper sprocket, looks normal. The little bike runs great, no smoke. The noise sounds like inside transmission or behind clutch.Lower end in other words. Anybody know what this could be? I really was not planning to split the case on my newfound treasure the first week!

:confused: find out who bored it out probably a b&j racing kit?did it make the noise before the kickback?my gasgas is noisy from the auto style clutch but goes away when engaged.i used to trials on my buddys ttr for fun great motors plenty of flywheel,see if they added a fly wheel weight to compensate for the bigger bore could be loose and clacking the side cover?or lastly the timing gears!!!

TTR125 gearbox noise

I just bought an 05 Scorpa SY175F that has the bored out TTR125 Yam engine, no e-start, and magura hydro clutch. It is in very good shape and well maintained, original trials tires still like new. Yesterday the kickstarter kicked back hard against my boot, then a strange knock,rub,peck noise. It speeds up with engine and slows down at idle. Its not in rythym with the engine, but slower like a geartooth on a very large gear every revolution. It does it in neutral, riding slow, with or without clutch pulled in, in gear or out. I pulled the clutch cover and clutch, closely inspected the starter idle gear and the big gear behind clutch basket and all other visible gears. nothing visual could be found. Found a few very small metal chips in the oil screen. Used a magnet thru the holes inside the transmission. No chips. Checked the timing chain and upper sprocket, looks normal. The little bike runs great, no smoke. The noise sounds like inside transmission or behind clutch.Lower end in other words. Anybody know what this could be? I really was not planning to split the case on my newfound treasure the first week!

:confused: find out who bored it out probably a b&j racing kit?did it make the noise before the kickback?my gasgas is noisy from the auto style clutch but goes away when engaged.i used to trials on my buddys ttr for fun great motors plenty of flywheel,see if they added a fly wheel weight to compensate for the bigger bore could be loose and clacking the side cover?or lastly the timing gears!!!

Its a factory Scorpa bore I think, it has graphics SY175F but actually 143cc, I guess the French are not good with numbers. The motor sounded fine til the kickback from start lever. We ran the engine with the upper cam sprocket cover off, and listened real close, the noise sounds like in the area behind the countershaft sprocket. Maybe I should check the flywheel, Im sure it has a different flywheel cover than the ttr yamaha, it has some French writing on it. Maybe the large clutch basket gear is slightly damaged and can`t be readily visible. The sound gets quieter after flogging the bike a while and getting it hot. It seems a great little bike, I only ride in the old mans amateur class so I don`t need the power of my previous GasGas Pro 280. The little bike seems to handle pretty good, it does nose wheelies and regular wheelies easily. It will pull me up about anything, although not with blinding speed. Going to drain and strain the oil tomorrow and look for metal chips again. And like you said, look inside the flywheel cover. thanks, Robert