3/22 Sac Bee editorial on ENF Trail designation

Check your Saturday paper for wrongly worded editorial. We need to make a letter writing campaign against that Sac Bee editorial.

They accuse dirt bikers of claiming that ALL trails will be closed and we're destroying meadows and causing damage to water shed, etc. ...............typical BS environmentalism/sensationalism

Thanks for posting this BigBob, and for the link Brewster. :confused:

This is just a typical SacBee Bullshit editorial though, blasting any inaccuracies or statements made by the OHV community that they don't agree with, but ignoring, even promoting those same things when done by the anti-access crowd.

For instance, the bit in the article about the Tread Lightly website; their statement that "the Eldorado National Forest is preparing to close 75 percent of the forest's roads and trails and two-thirds of its campsites and boat ramps.", and the Bee's editorial stating that Tread Lightly knows that this is not accurate. Well its not that far off. The inaccuracy is that the campsites wouldn't be closed, just inaccessible by motorized vehicles. I'm not sure about the boat ramps, but there is an official preliminary alternative being considered, Alternative E, that would close over 75% of the existing roads and trails to motorized use by OHVs.

Here's a little update on this one, from the Sac Bee "Letters to the Editor":

Letters to the editor

-

Published 12:00 am PDT Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Eldorado off-road vehicle battle

Re "Revving up to help repair Eldorado forest land," editorial, March 22: The Bee captured many of the issues that the Eldorado forest supervisor will have to address in his decision regarding management of off-road vehicles on the Eldorado National Forest.

As the president of the Center for Sierra Nevada Conservation, whose suit led to the off-road vehicle planning, I ask: Will he allow ongoing damage to meadows and wetlands critical to the survival of many species? Will he address the disenfranchisement of the majority of forest users who desire the restorative peace and quiet formerly found in the outdoors? Will he begin to restore damaged watersheds, in order to continue to provide high quality drinking water to the state's residents?

All these questions hinge on the answer to yet another question: Will the forest supervisor find the political courage to stand up to the off-road vehicle users and industry? Or will he take the path of least resistance, give into their intimidation and unreasonable access demands, and leave it once again to environmental groups to seek from the courts the stewardship we should expect from the Forest Service?

- Karen Schambach, Georgetown

No surprises here, I've said all along that if the anti-access crowd doesn't get 100% satisfaction that they will take this to court.

I'm sure Karen and her team already have their lawyers ready to pounce if they don't get what they want.

typical greenie propaganda,spread by the liberal bee.I canceled my subsription years ago because of there bullshit.:prof:

I'm sure Karen and her team already have their lawyers ready to pounce if they don't get what they want.

No that's not right. The reality is they will be filing suit unless all access is completely banned. That's not going to happen so I'm 100% sure they will file suit(s) within days of the final plan release.

Will he address the disenfranchisement of the majority of forest users who desire the restorative peace and quiet formerly found in the outdoors? Will he begin to restore damaged watersheds, in order to continue to provide high quality drinking water to the state's residents?

Is he going to close most of the roads into the forest so the majority of users aren't being bothered by carloads of humans and their spawn who find it necessary to bring half their house up here to "get away from it all". Just when I start to relax, here come the 'happy campers' in a cloud of dust to wreck it all.

Is he going to do something about all the noise from those darned aircraft that pass overhead? It's so annoying when a person is trying to have a conversation and that doesn't even begin to cover the stupid white stripes they make in the sky. It's all very un-natural and nonscenic.

I don't know about the rest of you but many times I've stopped to get a drink at a spring and it's a big muddy mess because of cattle. I've had to work my way upstream to find access and after refreshing myself I go further upstream and find a cow-fop dead center in the water. What is he going to do about this unhealthy situation?

He has the omnipotent power of the Fed to back him up and I expect results.

:bonk: or I'll sue.

Dave

ps: Some people aren't happy 'til everyone else is miserable. :prof:

Here's a little update on this one, from the Sac Bee "Letters to the Editor":

Letters to the editor

-

Published 12:00 am PDT Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Eldorado off-road vehicle battle

Re "Revving up to help repair Eldorado forest land," editorial, March 22: The Bee captured many of the issues that the Eldorado forest supervisor will have to address in his decision regarding management of off-road vehicles on the Eldorado National Forest.

As the president of the Center for Sierra Nevada Conservation, whose suit led to the off-road vehicle planning, I ask: Will he allow ongoing damage to meadows and wetlands critical to the survival of many species? Will he address the disenfranchisement of the majority of forest users who desire the restorative peace and quiet formerly found in the outdoors? Will he begin to restore damaged watersheds, in order to continue to provide high quality drinking water to the state's residents?

All these questions hinge on the answer to yet another question: Will the forest supervisor find the political courage to stand up to the off-road vehicle users and industry? Or will he take the path of least resistance, give into their intimidation and unreasonable access demands, and leave it once again to environmental groups to seek from the courts the stewardship we should expect from the Forest Service?

- Karen Schambach, Georgetown

No surprises here, I've said all along that if the anti-access crowd doesn't get 100% satisfaction that they will take this to court.

that's lotsa blow hard talk Karen, with nothing to back it up as usual. You are not an environmentalist, you are a Nimby loudmouth - Bob Tomlinson, Environmental Engineer and dirt bike rider.

Is he going to close most of the roads into the forest so the majority of users aren't being bothered by carloads of humans and their spawn who find it necessary to bring half their house up here to "get away from it all". Just when I start to relax, here come the 'happy campers' in a cloud of dust to wreck it all.

Is he going to do something about all the noise from those darned aircraft that pass overhead? It's so annoying when a person is trying to have a conversation and that doesn't even begin to cover the stupid white stripes they make in the sky. It's all very un-natural and nonscenic.

I don't know about the rest of you but many times I've stopped to get a drink at a spring and it's a big muddy mess because of cattle. I've had to work my way upstream to find access and after refreshing myself I go further upstream and find a cow-fop dead center in the water. What is he going to do about this unhealthy situation?

He has the omnipotent power of the Fed to back him up and I expect results.

:bonk: or I'll sue.

Dave

ps: Some people aren't happy 'til everyone else is miserable. :prof:

Just send that exact thing to the editorial department. That and a couple regular letters picking apart the bullshit will at least make some difference in public opinion assuming the bee publishes reader editorials. Sounds like the Sac Town media is working hard against us with the other dirt bike news video some one mentioned.