what fuse to use?

I'm currently installing grip-heaters on my bike, but i got no clue what so ever on the electrical part.

So i really have 2 questions;

1. Im connecting the swithc directly onto the battery, so what fuse should i use between ( strengh of it).

2. Will i survive tuching both plus and minus on the battery when the ignition is off? <--- that scares me o.O I'v gotten some badass shocks in my life doing less complicated electrical stuff.

If anyones interested i can snap some shots of how iv done it. :confused:

I'm currently installing grip-heaters on my bike,

If anyones interested i can snap some shots of how iv done it. :confused:

I am interested:ride:

I'm currently installing grip-heaters on my bike, but i got no clue what so ever on the electrical part.

So i really have 2 questions;

1. Im connecting the swithc directly onto the battery, so what fuse should i use between ( strengh of it).

2. Will i survive tuching both plus and minus on the battery when the ignition is off? <--- that scares me o.O I'v gotten some badass shocks in my life doing less complicated electrical stuff.

If anyones interested i can snap some shots of how iv done it. :excuseme:

The fuse should be rated high enough to keep from blowing under the load of the grips but low enough to protect your wiring. The grips should have an amp draw rating max on the package somewhere. If not call the manufacturer and find out. They actually should call out the size of fuse you should use in their instructions.

You will survive touching 12 vdc with your dry bare hands. Low voltage does not pass through high resistance (dry human skin) too well. Just like taking a 9v battery and laying it up againt your dry skin you will feel nothing.... however add a bit of water and a shorter distance (like sticking the 9 volter on your wet tongue) and things begin to heat up a bit. :confused: The current is what gets you... and there is enough current in a 12 motorcycle battery to kill you... but without the carrier (voltage) it's mostly docil in high resistance contact.

Aha i see, but no there was no info at all on the package, but i'll try to get a hold of them when easter's over.

Thanks for the help, and swanni, expect the pictures later today

my grip heaters are among the warmest I've experienced and they draw 4.2 amps when on "high".. so I'll vote for a 10A fuse

mxrob is exactly right. 12 volts is not enough potential difference to pass current through the body. Current as mxrob stated is the killer. Only 100ma to stop the heart. Thats .1 amps.

iiih :S just blew 2 fuses @ 15 a, gonna go over to the shop tomorrow to get some input.

iiih :S just blew 2 fuses @ 15 a, gonna go over to the shop tomorrow to get some input.

Wow! If you are blowing 15 amp fuses on a stand alone line for your heated grips you have an isse of some sort. Sounds like a direct short to me.... :prof:

yeah xD i swallowed my pride and phoned the shop, found out that my two classes 3 years ago in physics and electrics didn't cover all :confused:

Turns out i missed the grounder,:bonk: there is two cables from each heater, just one of them's supposed to be connected to the plus/minus pole. The other... well, they's short, so im not gonna find a piece of frame without paint...

Think i will jack them into the grounder from perhaps the headlight, any opinions of how that should work? I will disengage the whole system and just connect the heaters to the battery when i do this.

I might have blown the heaters already, but the rest is still intact :prof:

my poor bike, i do my best to love her, but beeing the learner bike for my mechanical skills cant be easy.