Sign in to follow this  

Ride From Mammoth AZ SUN 22nd

I am gonna head to Mammoth and check out this loop that I really want to do an overnighter on some time. Should be gnarly,steep,rutted,washed out jeep trails. 75 miles or less round trip. Gas is not available so we can carry some or siphon some from me. Route will go into Aravaipa Canyon. If you have never been it is a well kept secret in the State. Route will also be on the RUG Road, google it for more info. Anyone wanna check it out? I will truck my DR350 there, and have room in my truck for 1 more. Bike does not have to be plated. This is certainly different than our normal rides, and should be an incredible view into a remote riparian area. There will be others on the trail, so we will not be left for dead if we have any issues. I would like to be on the trail by 9 or so, which means leaving around 7 or so in the morning. We should be back in the valley late afternoon. Any takers?

Sounds interesting, but can you save me the google thing and tell me where it is LOL?

I might just truck my Honda 450X and a friend(KTM 450) out there and go with ya...........

Edit: I found it on the map, down by oracle so about an hour + drive to stage I would guess? I would take a few Gatorade Bottles full of gas.

I should be able to get 70 with an extra gallon.

Sounds interesting, but can you save me the google thing and tell me where it is LOL?

I might just truck my Honda 450X and a friend(KTM 450) out there and go with ya...........

Edit: I found it on the map, down by oracle so about an hour + drive to stage I would guess? I would take a few Gatorade Bottles full of gas.

I should be able to get 70 with an extra gallon.

I have a range of 160 + reserve, so I can siphon off if need be. I am not sure the best way to go, either to Oracle or up the 60 to Superior and down through Winkleman etc.....That would be great if you joined me, when you gonna know for sure? I will PM you my number, as I am heading out to ride in an hour or so, ill be back later this afternoon.

EDIT: Best way for me (I am not sure where you are) is the 60 to Superior, and then south on 177 to 77 to Mammoth. About 100 miles from mi casa in Chandler.

This is a great ride....I did this a few years back...We went to Klondyke and back in one day..

Since then I had heard there was a feud with a landowner along the road to Klondyke and they had closed the gate across the road...I guess there were really pissed at all the bikes and quads racing on the road to the store in Klondyke..

Make sure you can get through if you plan on going to Klondyke..I believe the store and gas station are for sale and not operating...so no fuel will not be available..I could be wrong....but check if this is your intent..

Its basically a rough Jeep road and the conditions change due to winter runoff and rains...Lots of rock...The ride through Arivapai canyon is cool...several creek crossings..Big trees..real riparian area...great place to camp..

Gates are open. Several legal cases involved with that over the last few years. No gas at store. Store is closed. I'll post pictures manana night.

This is a great ride....I did this a few years back...We went to Klondyke and back in one day..

Since then I had heard there was a feud with a landowner along the road to Klondyke and they had closed the gate across the road...I guess there were really pissed at all the bikes and quads racing on the road to the store in Klondyke..

Make sure you can get through if you plan on going to Klondyke..I believe the store and gas station are for sale and not operating...so no fuel will not be available..I could be wrong....but check if this is your intent..

Its basically a rough Jeep road and the conditions change due to winter runoff and rains...Lots of rock...The ride through Arivapai canyon is cool...several creek crossings..Big trees..real riparian area...great place to camp..

Damn! If I didn't have a family Easter thing, I would meet you there.

Have a great time! Let's do the overnight thing this spring...

Damn! If I didn't have a family Easter thing, I would meet you there.

Have a great time! Let's do the overnight thing this spring...

Right on...We need to talk this week about next weekend dude. Give me a call Mon or Tues...

Right on...We need to talk this week about next weekend dude. Give me a call Mon or Tues...

Planned on it.:confused: Have fun...

Looks like DR 400 and a buddy of his will be meeting up with me at the gas sation off of 60 before Kings Ranch Rd. Anyone know the name of that place? If anyone else is interested, meet us btwn 7:45 and 8:00 manana morning.....Should be a good one.

Looks like DR 400 and a buddy of his will be meeting up with me at the gas sation off of 60 before Kings Ranch Rd. Anyone know the name of that place? If anyone else is interested, meet us btwn 7:45 and 8:00 manana morning.....Should be a good one.

Aint that a Shell station with an attached mini McDonalds?

Tom, have fun! And if it's a good ride, I hope you'll want to do it again on a weekend when more of us can join you.

Aint that a Shell station with an attached mini McDonalds?
Maybe......:confused:

Sounds like a great ride for my son & myself.

We cannot go as the neighbor kid needs some one to take him out tomorrow to ride his mini quad. I have been working on it this evening & he does not have a father figure at home to take him on a ride or fix his bike so he has not ridden it in around 3 months or so.

His name is Hunter & he is 5. He wants to race some day & Hopefully I can turn him onto motorcycles & get him going some time in the future.

Any how I promised him I would take him out tomorrow at 8:00 am for an hour & see how it goes.

Maybe we can make it next time.

Sounds like a great ride for my son & myself.

We cannot go as the neighbor kid needs some one to take him out tomorrow to ride his mini quad. I have been working on it this evening & he does not have a father figure at home to take him on a ride or fix his bike so he has not ridden it in around 3 months or so.

His name is Hunter & he is 6. He wants to race some day & Hopefully I can turn him onto motorcycles & get him going some time in the future.

Any how I promised him I would take him out tomorrow at 8:00 am for an hour & see how it goes.

Maybe we can make it next time.

Good on ya Jason.....:confused:

Tough Ride, ala "The Donald". Brutally long hills with lots and lots of rocks. Some BIG rocks too. We made it 90% of the way and my clutch cable broke!:confused: We were able to rig it and head back. In hindsight we should have continued on to the Creek but oh well. Great to meet Rob (DR 400) and his buddy Dov. My DR350 took some hits, both mirrors(even though I turned them in), a tailight mount, shifter,(why can't I get it into 2nd?) numerous scratches/dents/dings/ and a snapped clutch cable. Awesome day! The trail is very doable, but choose your ride carefully. No way I would take a KLR down there, unless there were 3 of us, and we would have to walk the bikes at times...Next time I am taking a dog dammm dirt bike! P I C T U R E S

Looks like fun! Nice pics! Next time you want to go down there, let me know. But more notice!

Oh yeah...now I remember...Rocks and then some more rocks..on top of rocks on top of rock.:excuseme:

The last bit before you drop into araivapai canyon..is the pumpkin patch...a few miles of large round rock, pumpkin size..different then the broken flat slippery stuff you just did 30 miles of..:confused:

Its a doable ride, but tough....wears ya down....I remember sayin I wouldnt do that again.

I'm home now, hit up a good BBQ str8 in from the ride. Some tough sections on that ride, but nothing undo-able. Rides like this I can only describe as a good work out and good practice on line picking and making standing a priority. Not sure I would do that area again as it really didn't do it for me because the drive to get there was a haul. Lots of good views from the mountain tops, plus a nice good cool breeze kept us all cozy for the 45 mile round trip. Funny we never saw no one else on this route it was us 3 and no one else. Only thing I would say to someone thinking of doing this ride is..... Have a good skid plate, spare tube and be ready for an upper body pounding if you choose to sit down over these rocks.......

Good times Tom get that clutch cable fixed and I'll see ya next weekend for the dual sport ride to Wickenberg.

Dr. 400 :confused:

The real treat of this ride was dropping into Arivapai canyon....But that was only like 2 miles long..beautiful though..And the store for a burger, beer and gas..But with that gone..Takes away some of the reward..