'07 Needs New Sprockets & Chain

I have an '07 CRF450 and the rear sprocket is almost worn out. It's currently set up as 13/48, just wondering what front/rear (#of teeth) you guys are running for mostly SX/MX track riding.

Also, I guess I need to replace both front/rear as well as the chain so what is recommended? I put Sidewinder f/r & chain on my 250 2-smoke and have been very pleased with the durability :confused: but they are very expensive. :excuseme:

Not sure if this makes too much of a difference for sprocket ratio selection but my bike was built with a lot of Pro Circuit parts (I bought it that way) like piston, valves, cam, exhaust, pipe and whatever else PC makes.

Thanks,

CS

• 5 months later...
was wondering if anyone can explain the difference between o-ring, x-ring, z-ring and any other rings that apply to chains. Advantages of each? Cost? Durability?

thx

The x-ring has less friction and also seals better than a o-ring chain. I use to run the DID 520VM x-rings and they are superb chains that last 100+ hours. The only issue is they rub on the crankcase so a shim is necessary behind the countershaft sprocket to clear the case. I never really like offsetting the sprocket alignment like that so I installed the narrower DID 520VT T-ring chain this go around and it is holding up just as well as my old x-rings did, without having to mess with the chain alignment. I just made my first chain adjustment to the t-ring today after 15 hours and it was very, very small adjustment at that. I'd give the DID 520VT t-ring chain five stars. The only downside is cost. They aren't cheap but if you factor in how long they last, you'll be money ahead in the long run.

Gearing really depends on you and the tracks you ride. I prefer the stock 13/48 for the type of tracks we have around here.

The x-ring has less friction and also seals better than a o-ring chain. I use to run the DID 520VM x-rings and they are superb chains that last 100+ hours. The only issue is they rub on the crankcase so a shim is necessary behind the countershaft sprocket to clear the case. I never really like offsetting the sprocket alignment like that so I installed the narrower DID 520VT T-ring chain this go around and it is holding up just as well as my old x-rings did, without having to mess with the chain alignment. I just made my first chain adjustment to the t-ring today after 15 hours and it was very, very small adjustment at that. I'd give the DID 520VT t-ring chain five stars. The only downside is cost. They aren't cheap but if you factor in how long they last, you'll be money ahead in the long run.

Gearing really depends on you and the tracks you ride. I prefer the stock 13/48 for the type of tracks we have around here.

Thanks, what's the deal with the rivit master link? No clip?

Thanks, what's the deal with the rivit master link? No clip?

Yes, the DID sealed ring chains utilize a rivet style master link which is typically found on street bikes. This style ML is much stronger than a clip style but requires a special tool to install the side plate and peen over the pins. If you have the right tool and you know what you are doing it only takes a few minutes to install. I use a micrometer to insure that I have the pressed the plate to the exact same width as the rest of the chain before peening over the pins. If you have never done this I'd suggest that you have a knowledgeable mechanic install it for you.

I just picked up the t ring as well off ebay I got it for 70 bucks shipped witch is a deal! Also i got the tag sprokets form motosport in 13 50 i ride everything for terrain and love this set up. the only down side with the t ring is the master link is a press on so if you dont own the chain press you have to make freinds.