Sign in to follow this  

Right size for drz400?

i am 5' 9" and 160 lbs. and am considering the purchase of a drz400s... I am wondering if i am going to be a good size for this bike.

it will be my first bike and plan on doing about 80% on road and 20% off road. Is this bike a good consideration for me?

You'll be fine.

I know people smaller than you that have no problems.

Some people will recommend lowering links and other methods to lower it. But if you just ride it then you'll get used to it. :confused:

I am 5' 11" and 170lbs. I ride my DRZ everywhere, to work, run erands and in the mounatins on the weekends. It is a do all bike. Although it does nothing very well. You will be fine for size. It definitely has enough power to move you around. Just make sure it is jetted properly. Good luck.

:confused:

With high bikes your in-seam matters more than height. You should be good to go. May seem like a chore to get a leg over the bike until you are used to it, but once your on the bike slouches down and you should get a good foot plant. Suspension should be good for your weight as well.

i am 6'-2" and yes this bike is a tall bike.

i sit fine on the stock seat, recently won a used gel seat on ebay which will lower it 1-2 inches.

unless your like 5' tall, you should be fine.

i believe this bike sits higher then the klr-650's

i am 5' 9" and 160 lbs. and am considering the purchase of a drz400s... I am wondering if i am going to be a good size for this bike.

it will be my first bike and plan on doing about 80% on road and 20% off road. Is this bike a good consideration for me?

shit i wish i was that size when i have to ride a motorcycle im 6'1" 250lbs we could be on the same bike and you will go faster get and have fun

I'm about 5'11" and 160 and I it fits me perfect. At stop signs you won't be sitting there with both feet flat on the ground like Harley guys or sport bike guys, but you will have no problem touching the ground.

I'm 5'5" (30" inseam), 130lb and manage well with only an aftermarket gel seat as a height adjustment. You'll be fine, especially if you have some riding experience. Enjoy!

I'm 175cm and I think it's a nice height and the weight doesn't bother me I don't really see why anyone couldn't ride one.

5'8", 165# here.. 50/50 dirt street. i dropped it a few times off road, going too slow, bogging it & killing the engine, then falling over. But i haven't done it in a long time, you get used to the height, & love the suspension.. that's the tradeoff. You get great clearance & suspension with the height. Keep the feet on the pegs & keep on rolling! :confused:

scotty:cool:

If the seat height is a prob, search for seat trimming. I cut some foam out from the seat and reattached the cover with a staple gun. Very easy. Suspension height will settle an inch lower after the first 1000 miles.

If the seat height is a prob, search for seat trimming. I cut some foam out from the seat and reattached the cover with a staple gun. Very easy. Suspension height will settle an inch lower after the first 1000 miles.

:confused: Wow! The suspension settles an inch after a 1000? That sounds disturbing. I want all the suspension I can get for off-roading. Where did you come up with that info?:excuseme:

I bought my DRZ-E(lighter model) when I weighed 135lbs, 5'3", but i also wreslte so..and very proficient at riding. I think you would be alright, just take it easy, learn good throttle control. :confused:

I am 5'5" with a 32 inch inseam, the inseam I think is really the trick. I had to get a Corbin seat and still can only touch (on a good day) almost both balls of the feet on the grouns. Keep in mind that I am wearing boots that give me an extra inch in reach. You will get used to the bike and no matter how it fits, become proficient at not falling down and looking like a bafoon after a while. My short elf ass can now ride the bike on and off road without thinking about the height, the weight of the beast..........well that is another issue.

I'm 5'10" with a couple 34 inchers dangling from my torso. Stock seat, and I can touch flat footed w/boots on. I love the height of this bike.

Enjoy!