Sign in to follow this  

Braided Steel brake lines

Not a question, but a recommendation

DO IT!!! DO IT NOW!!!!!

Just fitted Goodridge hoses to mine and taken it for a test run, in terms of stopping, feel and power have improved as much as the mods i've done to increase the going power (3x3, RS2 full system, jet kit, removed solenoid) made it quicker

i was starting to think the brakes were just getting old and needed servicing, however i rode a brand new demo SM a few weeks ago and the brakes were just as crap as mine compared to even the budget brakes on my SV650, so even if the bike is new you'll notice a big improvement by fitting steel hoses, all for the relative pittance of $100 or so...

stoppies anyone?:confused:

Yup, did the front line a long time ago and dont regret it.

Specially as it cost me didly squat!! :confused::excuseme:

Did you do front and back? Where did you get the lines?

no need for rear but for front it's a big +

I think it's pretty much the same price everywhere +/- 75$

my front Goodridge stainless steel line seems to deliver more stopping power as well. or maybe my stock ones just needed bled. i dont know, but i'm pleased with the change. mine cost 35 bucks, but i get a discount from Parts Unlimited. but there is no way they cost 75 bucks.

Did you do front and back? Where did you get the lines?

I did both, the rear has greatly improved feel, there was more than enough power before hand to lock up the wheel so the power wasn't as much of an issue as the front, but it's definately worth doing

i got mine from my local bike shop, who also happened to be a goodridge stockist, goodridge lines and R&G stainless banjos. the 1.4m line had to be ordered specially from goodridge to fit, this is all in the UK of course, i just used dollars as the majority of people on here are from the US

for reference for anyone reading this, i ordered 1400 and 475mm front and rear and they fit perfectly on my SM, afaik they should work for any year

Not a question, but a recommendation

DO IT!!! DO IT NOW!!!!!

Just fitted Goodridge hoses to mine and taken it for a test run, in terms of stopping, feel and power have improved as much as the mods i've done to increase the going power (3x3, RS2 full system, jet kit, removed solenoid) made it quicker

i was starting to think the brakes were just getting old and needed servicing, however i rode a brand new demo SM a few weeks ago and the brakes were just as crap as mine compared to even the budget brakes on my SV650, so even if the bike is new you'll notice a big improvement by fitting steel hoses, all for the relative pittance of $100 or so...

stoppies anyone?:confused:

i did both front and back its a new bike wowowowow do it

They certainly improve the brake feel. The jury's out about whether they actually improve braking performance.

But they look cool. I have a set of Russell brake lines on my Virago, and they're a kind of brass/gold color. It didn't hurt that I replaced the brake pads & cleaned everything off; it took a couple hundred miles for the new pads to bed in good but it stops better & looks better now.

I don't agree...I switched to stainless on the back and then went with a CRF450 rear master cylinder...Much better for dirt riding...

no need for rear but for front it's a big +

I think it's pretty much the same price everywhere +/- 75$

I don't agree...I switched to stainless on the back and then went with a CRF450 rear master cylinder...Much better for dirt riding...

Why pro mx racers don't use stainless brakes lines ? I'm maybe wrong, I just want to understand your point :prof:

Just a quick question on using your brakes.

Does anybody use their back brake on a SM on the road. I don't

think I have ever put my foot on the back brake. I have only used

my front brake so far.

Cheers Rudolph

my front brake so far.

Cheers Rudolph

try that when it's wet and greasy out, or with a pillion - then try both...

the difference is night and day

any anyway, without the back brake, how do you slide the back wheel up to red lights?:bonk::prof:

anyway, without the back brake, how do you slide the back wheel up to red lights?:ride::prof:

:bonk::confused:;)

:prof::bonk::confused:

not that i'd ever do anything as hooligan as that...;)

certainly not while you were looking anyway officer:busted:

my front brake so far.

Cheers Rudolph

I use just the front brake 90% of the time. But when I take it and race at the local college parking lot I use the back break to help in backing it in. Quick use of the back brake helps it to break traction and produce a slide. Once in the slide I left off the back brake and just use the front. Its awesome!

I can say after switching to a stainless line on the rear it got rid of a lot of the spongy feeling...And then the CRF450 rear master made it much more powerful braking able to lock much easier...For $100 why not just do both...I'm talking dirt riding.

Why pro mx racers don't use stainless brakes lines ? I'm maybe wrong, I just want to understand your point :prof:

So you put on SS lines and replaced the caliper with a CRF450 caliper or am I misreading?

Picked up front and rear Galfer lines from these guys. Just shot them an email asking if they had non-sportbike lines.

Will be installing this weekend :prof:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&viewitem=&item=290217366317&rd=1