Big Dawg Enduro '08 - Marion, IL

The flyer for the Marion Big Dawg Enduro states, "Qualifier Style, no timekeeping needed" - What does that mean? Is this a hybrid Hare Scramble?

I rode the CCDR "Big Red" Enduro last year - I finished it without houring out, but it wasn't easy. Is the Big Red the toughest D17 enduro?

How does Big Dawg enduro compare to the "Big Red"?

By comparison, how are the other D17 enduros in terms of 'endurance required' or "degree of difficulty to ride" by the 'Big Red' standard?

If you respond, would you let me know the class you ride?

Thanks!

Marion, IL you say? When is this Big Dawg race? The only riding area near Marion is LEOR and I havent heard of a race by that name.

Is this the enduro down in southern IL on April 29 and 30th? I am no expert!:confused: what I have read is they are taking the time element out of the enduros due to the enduro computer and to attract new riders into the sport.

The new style will be sections that are timed. You ride as fast as you can through those sections. Then you come to a free area where you ride to another timed section. The person with the least amount of time in the sections wins. It is still ran in groups of 4/5 riders on single track. I am not sure about all the specifics. Since so many riders are running computers, the timekeeping was performed by the computer and not the rider. They opted to get rid on the timekeeping.

If you get a web site to the big dwag race, post it please.

Yep, thats the right enduro.

what I have read is they are taking the time element out of the enduros due to the enduro computer and to attract new riders into the sport.

The new style will be sections that are timed. You ride as fast as you can through those sections. Then you come to a free area where you ride to another timed section. The person with the least amount of time in the sections wins. It is still ran in groups of 4/5 riders on single track. I am not sure about all the specifics. Since so many riders are running computers, the timekeeping was performed by the computer and not the rider. They opted to get rid on the timekeeping.

The current AMA magazine has an article about this format change, while it doesn't go into specifics. It does mention what woodsridr said about attracting new people to the sport. Also that you no longer would need a "street legal" bike. Which hopefully will draw more MFG support to the events as well. Having not run an enduro before, I am only going on what I've read in this current issue of AMA's mag. However, if this is the case, I'd sure be interested in running an enduro in the near future..

Cheers,

Phil

I guess my question is - how is a hare scramble different from an enduro when riders are scored by how "fast" they go rather then maintaining a "pace" through each section?

Am I right - under a "Qualifier Style" enduro the only thing different between between a hare scramble and an enduro is one loop/section vice multiple sections? Its "the first one across the line wins" verse "the one that stays on pace/time wins".

I'm still very new to enduros - but the attraction of an enduro is riding difficult, technically challenging terrain and... managing your pacing/schedule based on the route sheet. I thought is was fun checking your timing/pacing as you run the course and see where you are as you roll into a checkpoint. I'd hate to these elements of an enduro get dropped.

HS are based on how many laps you do in a determined amount of time!

Enduro's are scored on your ability to keep a determined speed over the course. Faster or slower speeds will grant points when you come into the check points. The person with the least amount of points(the person who was able to ride a constant speed over the set course) will be the wenner!

Enduros and HS terrian are alot alike in my view. Enduros usually have a longer loop(25-75miles) where HS are on a 5 to 10 mile loop.

Both enduros and HS comingle alot of similarities!

Where are you from woodsridr? Is anyone from TT going to be riding this event? I was thinking about doing it since I'm so close. We got alot of rain last week and places all over are flooded down here so I'm thinking it's going to be pretty sloppy.

My buddy who I was planning on racing with this summer got hurt first race out- Belleville - so now I'm looking to maybe meet up with some people at some of the D17 and 18 events.

This event is a modified Qualifer Style enduro. It's something that we have been trying in D17 for the past couple of years. They will hopefully have a 10+ mile loop that we will ride 3-5 times (depending on your class) and each lap will have a certain amount of time to complete it. If you don't complete it in that amount of time you get points like a normal enduro. If your early you don't get penalized like a normal enduro. All you really need is a watch to ride this event. This is not the National Enduro format of Start Controls, it has some of that element but there is typical only one check at the start of the loop and one at the end. I know it's not a normal enduro but it's worth it. Last year the trail was great and I'm expecting great trail again this year.

I do know the club is working on test sections this year but haven't gotten final word on how everything is laid out this year. I know they had a big work day on Friday and Saturday. I should have some info mid week on the final layout and will post on my website. www.midwestenduros.com

Falcon, if you finished White City then you can finish this one. Last year the Little Egypt and White City events were the most technical all year. With the rain this year it may be more of a challange but should still be good.

Ryan Moss

AMA D17 Enduro Director

www.midwestenduros.com

Thanks Ryan - I think this will be fun to try. For a new guy, this format appears to be easier then the standard enduro format I have been anticipating. We'll see ya down there.

Cheers

Make it a full weekend as the club also has a family poker run scheduled for saturday at 1:00pm. 11 mile loop with classes for all.