A word of warning to DRZ owners

Just went out to the patio to move the Drz out of the wind and i noticed a small trail of red oil. After having a look it turned out it was the bolt at the bottem of the engine, on the right side where you undo to drain the oil out, Had worked its way out. I found it on the patio but i dread to think what may of happened if i was riding around and didnt notice. Keep em pealed and check yours. It could of been VERY expensive.

very bizarre

Did you re-use your crush washer during your last oil change?

torque wrench

Did you re-use your crush washer during your last oil change?

Havent change the oil on it yet. I have had it 6-7 months but the weathers been so bad i havent really done any miles

Not a mystery,, it was not tightened properly. You can drill and safety wire it if ya must, but unless required by some race tech inspection, not really worth the time.

Simply snug it up.. DO not go ape with a wrench or long ratchet handle, You will pull the threads out of the case or crack the case. Just snug it up crushing the washer...

Ideal, It more than likely it wasent tightend properly

Havent change the oil on it yet. I have had it 6-7 months but the weathers been so bad i havent really done any miles

Could it not have been properly tightened from the dealer (?)

Change the crush washer every time you take the drain plugs out.

If it wasnt tight I could see it falling out while riding it, but just sitting.......weird.

The dealer cross threaded my dipstick. First time I fell of, it popped out and I got an oil shower.

How exactly do you safety wire it in?

How exactly do you safety wire it in?

Just to be clear,, unless your on a paved track, and the rules require,, IT IS NOT needed in most cases IMHO,,

But, you drill a 1/16" hole through the flats of the bolt head, and safety wire it to the motor frame tab.

Not hard if you do a lot of this stuff, and not needed. Just use a good washer (note I did not say new, most go that route for good measure,, but in every ride or so oil changes for 5 years,,, I've not cracked the chase, pulled the threads, had a bolt fall out, or leak. and I've only replaced the washer three times, all because I lost or damaged them while out for other reasons.. )to each his own.) I have mine drilled, but only wire it up prior to a race... 24HR GP, 8 hour scramble, ect ect I'm not going to be looking at the drain bolt, or washing the bike (looking for issues as I go) so it a nice added insurance for the duration of the race.

Had worked its way out. I found it on the patio

It just fell out sitting still in the garden ??

Who have you upset would be my first question :excuseme:

Neil. :confused::excuseme::sweden:

I personally do not replace the oil drain bolt gasket unless it is leaking or damaged. I can see under the bike where I park it at work and in the garage & will notice even 1 or 2 drops. If you torque it properly you can get many oil changes before you need to replace it. They are only $1 so not too expensive here is the info on it - GASKET, OIL LEVEL PLUG, P/N 09168-12002. I like the idea of safety wiring it especially if you are going to be on the track or in a long rough race for the extra safety & piece of mind.

Anyone have a picture of it safety wired? I'm kind of wanting to do it to mine. Do you need safety wire pliers for safety wire or can I just use regular pliers? I have some grips I want to safety wire too.

It just fell out sitting still in the garden ??

Who have you upset would be my first question :excuseme:

Neil. :confused::excuseme::sweden:

Thats what i thought, But they would of had to have a knowledge of a drz to know to loosen that one

On drain bolts, particularly ones with the little magnet inside, I really suggest strongly that you DON'T drill straight across the hexes (on a drain bolt, that would mean drilling through 14 mm of metal). The reason is that you don't know how deep the pocket for the magnet may be.

With a little practice, you can drill through a corner of the head. You'll go through far less material.

Also, down from the top and out a side works well enough and is quite a bit easier to drill.

...They are only $1 so not too expensive here is the info on it - GASKET, OIL LEVEL PLUG, P/N 09168-12002...

where do you get these for $1? i see them for about $3

where do you get these for $1? i see them for about $3

I recently ordered a bunch of OEM parts from RideNow:

Mfg Product Number: 09168-12002

Description: GASKET, OIL LEVEL PLUG for 2004 Suzuki DR-Z400S 2000-2004 Order Quantity: 5 Unit Price: $0.70 Total Cost: $3.50

Mfg Product Number: 09168-10002

Description: GASKET, OIL GALLERY PLUG for 2004 Suzuki DR-Z400S 2000-2004 Order Quantity: 5 Unit Price: $0.83 Total Cost: $4.15

I also changed my oil this weekend and can now confirm these parts numbers are correct.