will these mods make me faster?

Hello everyone- I was wondering what you thought about these mods for 08 CRF 450 R.

-ToykoMods full engine kit for aggressive mx

-ProCircuit Titanium full system

-Hinson slipper clutch

-RG3 Suspension with all the trick parts and coatings

My friends say that it is not necessary, i think it most definitely is. How can having the fastest bike and best suspension not make me faster?

Thanks and glad to be part of thumpertalk!

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, they will make you look silly when you get beat by the guy on the stocker. :confused:

Seriously, I think suspension setup by someone who knows what they are doing is a must if you race MX. The coatings, etc are really just eye candy for a non-pro.

A pipe to move the powerband to where YOU like it is not a terrible idea either, but a cam is a lot cheaper. If it's just a random pipe that isn't tailored specific to what you are looking to improve on the bike, then you haven't accomplished much except to have a spare stock pipe.

Proper jetting setup can also make or break your race. I've had a couple of motos where bad jetting ruined my day (too rich on the pilot causing an unexpected flameout in a corner).

So a full blown Tokyo mods motor? Not unless you have the $$ to burn or you are a local pro trying to earn some dough.

Otherwise, good tires, good suspension setup, proper jetting, and practice.

a revalve is about the only thing that would make sense to me. the honda is already so bad ass that its almost a shame to go changing it before you as a rider can use its power to full potential. get some serioius seat time in before you go doing that kinda stuff. i smoke check fancy bikes on my stock 06 450 all the time.

a canadian national rider told me one day at a race.you can have all the power you want but the suspension will make you faster.most 450s have more power then most can use.I would spend my money on the suspension and go from their.

Hello everyone- I was wondering what you thought about these mods for 08 CRF 450 R.

-ToykoMods full engine kit for aggressive mx

-ProCircuit Titanium full system

-Hinson slipper clutch

-RG3 Suspension with all the trick parts and coatings

My friends say that it is not necessary, i think it most definitely is. How can having the fastest bike and best suspension not make me faster?

Thanks and glad to be part of thumpertalk!

You should KNOW that a mod is going to work beofre you shell out for it. The way your post reads, it sounds like you have a pile of money and are throwing it at whatever you think is cool, or what somebody told you is cool. Which is not cool. Unless you have the speed of a local pro or better, only the suspension mods will help you. I hope you were honest when you told them your skill level and riding style.

Lots of practice. A few days at a good mx training school. Fresh rubber every other ride. Keep the bike in spec and the suspension fluids fresh.

Those things will make you faster than anything else and require no mods to the bike.

there are only 3 people i have seen that can possibly use all the power a 450 has and they are carmichael, stewart, and reed- just about nobody else can use all the power a 450 has- the suspension would be the only thing i would get- maybe an exhaust system to set the power the way u like it, but other than that nothing

I want to type the letters T R O L L, but in the name of kindness, I won't.

I thought the same thing after reading his initial posts.

Really, if you have to ask whether or not the $5k+ you are thinking of blowing on your bike will make you faster, it probably wont.

Spend your time and money on seat time and lessons, then upgrade the bike when it is holding you back in some areas.