Sign in to follow this  

Ruts directly after jump

Today I went riding at a new track for the first time. I hit every juimp except for a step-down (it was a kicker), a 70-foot step-over, and 3 doubles.

Ok, I'm just going to go ahead and tell you that I didn't hit the step-down or step-over because I'm just not good enough. I'm not even worried about them, yet.

The thing I need help with is the 3 doubles. The first one is a 40-foot double, pretty smooth-looking, follwed by a 35-foot double and a small 20-foot double. They look very easy. However, I was rolling the track the first lap and right after each double, the entire width of the track consists of 6 large ruts. You can't see them before the face, and there's no time to choose a rut because they start on the landing face and continue right on to the next double. I didn't hit any of the doubles all day.

Any tips? Everyone else seemed to just commit and go for it, but I don't want to cross-rut and go down hard. Thanks for any help! :confused:

I would get on the throttle before landing and squeeze the bike as hard as you can, that should straighten you out and then you won't need to worry about the ruts.

This is my favortie kind of riding. i use to be scared of really rutted tracks, but now they are my favorite since i learned how to fly through them.

when im going through a really rutted straight i- find a general area of where i want to be in the rut section(way before you come to the section), look past it, get in a further back attack positon( standing with elbows up and in full control), and pin it. while you come up to the section, your peripheral vision(sp?) should guide you through the rut. as long as you keep your bike straight, both wheels should follow eachother and guide themselves into a rut. the faster i go, the easier it is. i do this for mud ruts especially, since they change alot. but works very well for all ruts. main thing is dont be looking directly in the rut. now with a jump after the rut section, you may need to be further forward, but i just try to keep the front end as light as possible and go FASSSSSSSSST!. you can make or break alot of time riding through ruts. im not sure how technical your section was that you were having trouble with, but i think this technique works for everything.

oh, since you couldnt see where the ruts where, go through the section kinda slow and choose of general area of where you want to be jumping and landing. once thats in your head then jump the first one, when your in the air find the general area you want to be in(or a direct rut if you can spot it), then look through the rut to go for the second jump, etc... get your section down and it will come easier and easier. heck, do one jump at a time and cruise through the ruts and the rest of the section, then add a jump every lap.

So basically I just get used to where the ruts are, and after that it's all concentration and commitment? Probably easier said than done lol.

Thanks for the help!

yeah, anytime im on a track(even if ive ridden there a bunch) i take a practice lap and familiarize myself with everything. most of the time i can go right out and rail cause im always looking far ahead, but in blindspots, i use caution until im fully aware of everything.

if you're not use to riding in rutted conditions, then maybe find a spot on the track that doesnt include a jump section and practice on those ruts. just focusing ahead and railing through them. the main thing is to say feeling safe and in control through them. if youre feelin good, full throttle buddy! and like i said before, make sure you know where you want to go before you land the jump, use your airtime to get aware of whats next.

• Like 1

^I practiced ruts early this morning in the trials; thanks a lot for the tips! It's so much easier to commit when you are gliding through the ruts by staing on the gas and looking ahead. I guess the old saying is even more useful than I thought: you go where you look.

I started out by slowly riding through the ruts to get a feel for them, then I started practicing by shifting my weight back a bit, looking ahead, and satying on the throttle (3rd gear, in the power). I pulled right on through, even if my back tire didn't go straight into the rut right away.

I can't wait to practice on the doubles next Saturday. Thanks a lot for the help! :confused:

Yea. I was at Blanchard,OK for practice yesterday and took quite the digger on the back straight. It had a combination of ruts and Deep Sand Whopps. I let the front drop into the valley of one of the whops Cased the next One and over I went, It was quite the tumble at 35+mph.

The ruts at the track were very deep they were all the way to the axle in several places of the track. I got off balance coming into a kicker jump that had ruts on the face of it. Went over on that one to but much slower. I got the hang of it but it took almost the whole practice though. I should have kept looping around the track to go back over the sections I was having trouble with.

The Key like everyone was saying was look at toward the end or past the rut and keep on the gas.

not looking down and keeping the front end light with the throttle is what I do. On straights with deep, straight ruts you can actually cut across the track (left to right) as long as you keep the throttle pinned. I've never cut the throttle while doing this, but I'm sure the result would not be pretty. The most important thing is to keep the front end light.

Stand up, Lean back, Hold bike tight with knees, Stay Fluid, Look far ahead, and HOLD GAS ON! Thats about all it takes and commitment.

Even if you don't line up with the rut perfect its ok. As long as you do those steps you should be fine. You will of course be a bit squirley. But stand up and stay fluid and move with the bike.

What about rutted corners?? I have all kinds of problems with rutted corners!!:prof:

Any advice??

What about rutted corners?? I have all kinds of problems with rutted corners!!:prof:

Any advice??

look at the end of the rut when you enter it and apply the power smoothly

Any advice??

I am by no means fast at the rutted corners but a good tip that a friend gave me was to get up on the gas tank for good control look forward and your wheel will get guided through the rut just stay on the gas and you should be fine and over time you go through them easily :bonk:

What about rutted corners?? I have all kinds of problems with rutted corners!!:thumbsup:

Any advice??

whatever you do, do NOT look directly in front of you, you will most likely fixate yourself on that particular section of the turn/rut, and not the entire radius of it, causing you to cross rut. LOOK AHEAD. when i go in turns, rutted or not, i sit in the slump of my seat(to keep the bike weighted), stick my foot out, and get my upper body forward and pin it. and weight your outside footpeg.

Id say to just go out a practice some good techniques, find out where you want to be looking and get comfortable rutted turns. they can be tricky. i know with ruts, the faster i go, the easier it is. as long as im in total control.

yes everyone else is doing the way you need to to make the next double you have to get on the gas when you do that your front wheel will be light and the front wont have a lot to say about the rut your back wheel is going to guide you through if it is a 30 ft. jump you should not need alot of gas to get over it , stay in the netrural body postion when you see the rut your looking at give some throttle look past the rut not in it and focus on the jump take off when you give throttle lean forward as acceleration till your bike takes off , once it takes off chop the throttle and prepare for landing if you can not double be happy with just singaling the jump untill you get confee with the rut , it will come just take it easy till you get confee

So basically I just get used to where the ruts are, and after that it's all concentration and commitment? Probably easier said than done lol.

Thanks for the help!

yeah all doubles are just commitment i actually love doubles cause they are easiest for me to clear, they are all or nothing unlike table tops. you just have to know where the ruts are and take off in the same spot every lap, most of the time will be on the left right and middle parts of the lip and you'll land directly in a rut.