Sign in to follow this  

circle clips on the wiseco piston?

Does anyone know if they make a tool to install these clips, or the easy way to get them in ?

A word of advice. When you're installing the circlips, be sure to cover the crankcase, and wear eye protection. I've seen circlips pop out with enough force to draw blood when ham-fisted people try to install them.

You prolly shouldn't be in your motor by yourself if you don't know what to do.

Relax Dude, he was just asking for tips. That is what these boards are for.

Hi!

I`ve struggled a few times myself with wire circlips without tabs/ ears. Especially on Ducatis, but also on Wiseco pistons. What I came up with was a pair of needlenose pliers, modified by grinding tiny "notches" or steps at the very tip of the jaws (maybe 1,5x1mm) These "notches" keep the circlip from sliding in the jaws (towards you), making the job a little easier.

It still is a bit fiddly, but this circlip design is the safest one, no tabs to break off and end where you don`t want them!

For removing circlips, A small Snap-On O-ring picker is a handy tool.

As it is very easy to bend these when removing them, it is advisable to fit new ones whenever they have been removed. Also try to fit the circlip so that the opening is facing up or down, not sideways. This gives the G-forces at TDC & BDC less leverage on the circlip, minimising the risk of it coming loose.

Does anyone know if they make a tool to install these clips, or the easy way to get them in ?

There is actually a tool. But be careful, you will get it. Caution, dont let the end of the ring gouge the piston, and dont queeze it too hard to where is sets in the groove loose. Like others said, cover the crankcase with a rag.

I put one side in the groove, and push it in with my finger. This worked perfectly. To get them out, I used a dental pick, and a small electrical screwdriver. Put one clip on before you put it on the rod and the other after. That gets half the problem out of the way.

Go to advance auto parts and get some cir clip pliers. They come in a set of 5 for $13 (yes, $13). I've had mine for going on 2 years and they're perfect. Makes the job soooo much quicker and easier. But yes, make sure you cover the case with a rag or you'll be sorry... :confused: