Test riding an 03 CR250...what to expect and look for?

Well i met a guy at the track who has an 03 cr250 that he might be selling and he said that if i wanted i could take it out for some test laps. It has PC headwork. PC also split the cases and rebuilt it. It has full Factory Connection rebuilt suspension, and v force reeds...along with some other parts on it.

What should i look for as far as performance goes, and what do you think its worth?

Sounds like a great bike. Pc is good stuff and FC too. Is he about the same weight as you? You may have to change springs and factor that into the cost. The 03 is a great bike that is held back by a motor that wont pull off the bottom. Till up the track and it becomes even more lack-luster on the low end, volumes have been written in here about how to get it almost maybe kinda sorta as good as all the other bikes of the same year with lots of porting and bolt ons but the fact is, the bottom needs help. Moto814 is a popular place. There is too much volume in the crankcase(case reed induction motor) Everything else is really great with the honda, handling is confidencee inspiring, it feels light and has a super strong mid and up. Youll have to keep an eye on your jetting the mikuni is a little picky, lots of guys did a kehin carb swap on this bike, do a search its an option if your jetting gets difficult. I felt more comfortable on that 03cr than any other bike, but I had to get off and push it out of turns........ Still I miss that CR enough to go and try an 05 or newer, thats when they reduced the case volume to attempt to get some bottom back, with marginal results Im told. Its a very durable machine, brakes are great, clutch is good, shifting may be a little picky under a load I found, but no worse than any other brand. I think you will be really happy with it, but due to the pc work you may have a little jetting/gas trial and error to work out. Good luck. :confused:

Thanks for the reply. The guy is a lot taller than me, but he hasnt even set it up for himself, the guy he bought it from was a local pro who is about the same size as me. It would just be a matter of dialing it in. From my understanding, you shouldnt really be in the bottom end on the track. Ill have my local mechanic jet it and etc, to save some headaches, he is the once that works on it regularly anyhow, so i know that it runs strong. Thanks for the info:D

Railer80, if you buy that bike and keep the Mikuni carb. You will probably need to get used to adjusting jetting so you can make minute changes during the day. It performs well but it really is picky to climate and altitude changes.

You will really love it. :confused:

we'll, see, might test it this week, or the next..ill fill you guys in on how i like it.:confused:

I had some bogging issues with mine about a week ago and went riding yesterday and it ran fine.One thing I've got to say is that I've never ridden a finer handling machine.Confidence inspiring to say the least.

sweet, hwere i ride there isnt much elevation change, so i dont think i should have jetting problems.

Be sure and check the grill for any yz's, kx's or rm's that might have gotten in its path that didn't make their way out of the exhaust yet. :confused:

fmf and that other place says to put in a 6bhy38-70 needle. its a diff taper to it. sup its a fix to thos carbs.?

Hey railer, if your into reading Mag tests & shootouts on yours, I probably have a few as I collect Mags and have over 600 issues I think.

Just PM me your email address and I can take pic's of the tests and send them to you.

Sometimes the tests have jetting specs, suspension recommendations, what ales the bike, etc,etc .........so they might be handy to have and read.

I felt more comfortable on that 03cr than any other bike,

I couldn't agree with this statement any more, and the weird thing is I haven't actually owned one! When searching for another bike I looked at an 03' CR 250, the test ride was a simple up and down the street a couple times and a quick roomp through a nearby schoolyard, it left me thinking this bike was custom tailored to fit me. To this day I never have felt more comfortable on a bike than those few minutes on that CR. I settled on the 01' for the motor, but sometimes I question that decision!

Be sure and check the grill for any yz's, kx's or rm's that might have gotten in its path that didn't make their way out of the exhaust yet. :excuseme:

:excuseme: especially those kawis:thumbsup:

Hey railer, if your into reading Mag tests & shootouts on yours, I probably have a few as I collect Mags and have over 600 issues I think.

Just PM me your email address and I can take pic's of the tests and send them to you.

Sometimes the tests have jetting specs, suspension recommendations, what ales the bike, etc,etc .........so they might be handy to have and read.

Wow, ill send you a PM right now, thus would be really helpful and alot of fun to read.:confused:

I couldn't agree with this statement any more, and the weird thing is I haven't actually owned one! When searching for another bike I looked at an 03' CR 250, the test ride was a simple up and down the street a couple times and a quick roomp through a nearby schoolyard, it left me thinking this bike was custom tailored to fit me. To this day I never have felt more comfortable on a bike than those few minutes on that CR. I settled on the 01' for the motor, but sometimes I question that decision!

How would you say it felt compared to a YZ?

Heck does it apply for me too? :bonk: I would love to have 05'-07' CR250 test & shootouts. :prof:

check all the bearings.. I have an 2003 and I've had to replace every bearing in it.. I've put tons of miles on it though