Sign in to follow this  

Surging after DJ kit???

I installed the DJ kit today and the bike has WAY more pep BUT it surges pretty bad at steady speeds. I thought the DJ kit was supposed to help with the surging?? Wierd thjing is this bike didnt surge at all until I put the kit in?? I set it up just like Jesse recommends. 155 Main, 4th groove down and 1 turn out on the air screw. Modified the airbox and also drilled the slide.

Anybody else run into this?? Now I know what the fuss was about when it comes to the bike's surging. :confused:

I installed the DJ kit today and the bike has WAY more pep BUT it surges pretty bad at steady speeds. I thought the DJ kit was supposed to help with the surging?? Wierd thjing is this bike didnt surge at all until I put the kit in?? I set it up just like Jesse recommends. 155 Main, 4th groove down and 1 turn out on the air screw.

Anybody else run into this?? Now I know what the fuss was about when it comes to the bike's surging. :excuseme:

Stock Buick muffler I take it? Stock air filter or K&N leaf catcher? :excuseme: 1 out on the pilot screw may be a bit lean. I'd go to 1-1/2 turns out and put the clip in the 5th groove. Leave the 155 and see if that helps your surging. I think you'll see a marked improvement in surging. :confused:

Oh yeah Stock Buick Muffler and stock filter. I had the air screw at 2 turns out and it seemed to surge a bit less, so I will drop to 5 clip and go back in a bit and see what that does.

While were at it .. Is there an easy way to just spin the carb and change the needle or does the carb need to come out again???

Mx_rob thanks for all that you have done for this forum ... You are the man :confused: I owe you a cold one or three if you ever get down south.

Oh yeah Stock Buick Muffler and stock filter. I had the air screw at 2 turns out and it seemed to surge a bit less, so I will drop to 5 clip and go back in a bit and see what that does.

While were at it .. Is there an easy way to just spin the carb and change the needle or does the carb need to come out again???

Mx_rob thanks for all that you have done for this forum ... You are the man :excuseme: I owe you a cold one or three if you ever get down south.

No, you don't need to remove the carb to do a needle clip position change. You can even do it without removing the throttle cables if you are real careful when twisting the the carb for access to the cap screws. Just remove the plastic cable ties up the frame a bit to allow plenty of cable movement and turn the carb carefully. Do not, however, try leaving the choke cable attached. The cheesey plastic guide will break if you glance at it wrong so whip out the black wonder of engineering before any tilting goes on. :sweden::confused:

A cold one sounds good right about now.... because I'm steaming over this white sh*t that's piled up again.... Damn! We just got this cr*p melted off. :excuseme: I have DR work to do! :crazy:

sirwrecksalot,

Please let us know how this goes. I've just bought a dynojet kit off the Advrider Fleamarket and hate to think I may get myself back into surge trouble. Thanks

Sarah

sirwrecksalot,

Please let us know how this goes. I've just bought a dynojet kit off the Advrider Fleamarket and hate to think I may get myself back into surge trouble. Thanks

Sarah

I think it's surging because it's lean. Now that I have the wide band 02 meter set up on my bike I'll throw the BST back on (after finishing up with the FCR's) and get some real information about main jet size and clip position requirements for the Buick muffler and the FMF-Q2. The data I had from the narrow band was obviously very suspect. :confused:

I will definitely let you know Sarah. One thing I can tell is that it REALLY wakes the bike up. I read over at ADV that a guy said this was the best bang for the buck on ANY bike he has had and I agree with that statement now. The bike went from almost too tame to something much more fun. The grin factor went way up. :confused: It sounds way different too with that "intake noise" from under the seat.

Hopefully I can get it all sorted out before you put your kit on. We live in fairly similar areas of the country so settings should be real close.

I too have the stock exhaust on my bike. Not for long though, the Q2 should be here this week!

I am running a mikuni 155 main jet and a.035 shim for the needle and I have no surging. I did try the slide drilling and that seemed to cause some surging. I didn't like it so Ifilled the extra hole. Runs great again.

I'm going to start off with a 160 main jet with the Q2. Hopefully the drivability will remain OK.

Thanks, Sir! By the way, we live in Glasgow; I've read we're at a tad less than 800 ft elevation.

Sarah

Well I dropped the needle to the 5th clip and went anywhere from 3/4 out to 2 1/2 turns out on the screw and it still surged about the same. i am begining to not like this vacuum slide stuff.

I am starting to think like Jonboat said, maybe the drilled slide is what is causing the surge??? :confused:

So jonboat .. What did you use to fill the hole???

I used a gell type of "super glue". Make sure the glue is cured before assembly.

There seems to be a bunch of stuff you can do to the stock carb, with jets and needle shimming. Sometimes I wonder if I'm just getting lucky with my setups? Hopefully, when I get my Q2 I can get away with just changing the main jet and not the needle height.

BTW I am getting just over 50mpg with my slightly modified carb setup now, and I like to twist the throttle!

Well I dropped the needle to the 5th clip and went anywhere from 3/4 out to 2 1/2 turns out on the screw and it still surged about the same. i am begining to not like this vacuum slide stuff.

I am starting to think like Jonboat said, maybe the drilled slide is what is causing the surge??? :confused:

So jonboat .. What did you use to fill the hole???

I've never been a fan of drilling the extra hole in the slide. It will certainly make the bike more likely to surge based on pressure variences withing the air box. It increases volume to the diaphragm which does make throttle response better but it also allows air box pressure variences to affect the slide height at a much faster rate. :excuseme:

Thanks Jonboat

Well to confuse things even more ... I called Jesse at Kientech and he talked me thru the install again and I did everything he suggested correctly. He suggested that I go back to 4th clip and go 3/4 turn out on the screw. For lack of any new ideas I tried it and NO surge now ... :confused: ... The only thing I can come up with is that I noticed that somehow I sorta had the little canister filter under the seat in a bind and this may have cut off airflow to carb causing a lean condition.?? The only other thing it could have been was mybe the carb wasnt sitting in the boot correctly letting air in making it run lean. ?? If for some reason it comes back I am gonna seal that 2nd hole just to see what this does.

Sarah I wouldnt hesitate to put the DJ kit in it REALLY makes a difference. I dont know if I would drill the slide right off the bat but Jesse swears that the DR is the only CV type carb on a 650 that has one hole. Thousands of them out there have the 2nd hole according to him.

Thanks again to all of those who have helped along the way. I am sure these wont be the only questions I will come up with.

Mike

Mike,

Glad to hear you got things sorted out; I was starting to have doubts again about the dynojet install. Last thing I want is to get back into that surging mess. Thanks again for the update.

Sarah