Whats the best-strongest skid plate?

I see that it tapers toward the back of the engine. Does the skid plate come under the crankcase drain plug or can you drain the engine without it running all over the plate?

yes...i'm thinking about adding a 1" hole there but with the bike on the sidestand ur only tanking about a few drips at the end of the oil drain...same with the downtube drain...

it wud make a mess if the bike is level...probably with or without the hole.

?

• 2 weeks later...
I just called Utah Sports Cyle and talked to Mike Gibbs. I explained what I was looking for in a skidplate, and offered to help them update their design. He was interested, but they're in the middle of moving their shop right now so we won't be able to get started on that for a couple of weeks. I'll post back when we get into the redesign to get input from you guys.

Mike sent me the blueprints for their XR650R skidplate a while ago, and I've made a lot of changes to it. I just sent them the blueprints for the updated center-section of the skidplate and I'm waiting for them to cut and form one of the new center-sections so I can verify the fitment and mounting hole locations, etc. I'll post some pictures when I get the sample.

Changes so far include:

We're going to use the stock skidplate mounting points and hardware.

The center-section of the skidplate is wider and longer towards the back, so it will provide better protection for the framerails all the way back to the suspension linkage.

I added drain holes in the skidplate to make oil changes a little cleaner.

I also re-shaped the leading edge of the skidplate, and incorporated a small funnel to help direct oil away from the skidplate when draining oil from the downtube.

After I get this first sample, I'm going to modify the bend points and angles to equalize the distances between the bends and make all of the bends to the same degree.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Mike sent me the blueprints for their XR650R skidplate a while ago, and I've made a lot of changes to it. I just sent them the blueprints for the updated center-section of the skidplate and I'm waiting for them to cut and form one of the new center-sections so I can verify the fitment and mounting hole locations, etc. I'll post some pictures when I get the sample.

Changes so far include:

We're going to use the stock skidplate mounting points and hardware.

The center-section of the skidplate is wider and longer towards the back, so it will provide better protection for the framerails all the way back to the suspension linkage.

I added drain holes in the skidplate to make oil changes a little cleaner.

I also re-shaped the leading edge of the skidplate, and incorporated a small funnel to help direct oil away from the skidplate when draining oil from the downtube.

After I get this first sample, I'm going to modify the bend points and angles to equalize the distances between the bends and make all of the bends to the same degree.

Any update?

I bought my skidplate from Xrs only and it is the exact same as the utah one shown above. It was made by ricochet armor... I can say i have had one bad crash and is has saved my bike. I highly recomend it

Ricochet and Utah are the same company. I got mine for my XR650R from www.dualsportarmory.com for $83. Very nice skidplate!:busted:

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Since it seems like Utah is dicking off on the redesign I think with 3700 plus views you (jesusgatos) could take some preorders and take your improved design to a small shop to do a build and the group would come out way ahead in cost and have a better skit plate to boot. I imagine there's someone in the group that has access to a fab shop that could make the redesigned skidplate - just a thought.

I think all it would take is a few customers contacting Utah to let them know there is interest/demand. I wouldn't want to cut them out of the loop because they provided me with the blueprints and dimensions that I used to redesign the skidplate, and they do make good products.

Strongest plate I've seen is the home brew one on my pig. Shot from last year, but shows the plate. Its alumn diamond plate that I painted with SEM Trim Black (rattle can) over SEM primer. The paint is amazing (resists rock chips and doesn't flake). The plate is not exactly stylish, and having the diamond plate tread to the outside is a no-no based on my buggy building knowledge (you want smooth for sliding over obstacles), but its freak'n bombproof.

3617127722_156b71d018.jpg

Sent the following e-mail to Utah (dh_gibbs@comcast.net) about the redesign:

To: dh_gibbs@comcast.net

Sent: Thursday, June 11, 2009 8:34 AM

Subject: XR650R SKID PLATE REDESIGN

When are you going to have the redesigned skid plate out (jesusgatos cad files - thumpertalk) or are you not planning on doing the redesign?

Check out the thread on thumper talk https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=623071&page=6 - There are 3900 plus views so I imagine that there's enough of an interest to do the redesign.

Thanks

- recieved the following response:?

(dh_gibbs@comcast.net)

Sent: Thu 6/11/09 1:27 PM

We are stilling planning on looking at that. But, it's wasn't high on our priority list, since that bike is now 2 years out of production. We had a lot of new ATV models to do plates for this year and needed to get them out of the way first. We have a bike for next week so we will let you know what we decide to do there.

Regards,

Looks like if you want the plate redesigned this would be a good time to

e-mail them

• 9 months later...

I just received a new XR650R Richochet Offroad bash plate, to put on my 2002 "L", and there is no way it's going to fit. Not even close (I did take off the stock Honda bash bars first).

It doesn't even look like the "R" bash plate photos previously posted here, so I don't know if they did a redesign or maybe the bash plate is for another application and was mis-labeled??? It has a sticker on it that says "434 Honda XR650R '00-'07". Not sure what the deal is, but I'm mighty disappointed.

I've got a photo, but no photobucket account, if someone else wants to post the photo I'd be happy to send it your way.

I just received a new XR650R Richochet Offroad bash plate, to put on my 2002 "L", and there is no way it's going to fit. Not even close (I did take off the stock Honda bash bars first).

It doesn't even look like the "R" bash plate photos previously posted here, so I don't know if they did a redesign or maybe the bash plate is for another application and was mis-labeled??? It has a sticker on it that says "434 Honda XR650R '00-'07". Not sure what the deal is, but I'm mighty disappointed.

I've got a photo, but no photobucket account, if someone else wants to post the photo I'd be happy to send it your way.

Have the redesigned Richochet Offroad skid plate for my XR650R - Uses the 4 stock skid plate mounts plus 2 frame rail clamps inbetween - Covers the frame rails - The pic on their site is the updated plate - Execellent skid plate - I highly recommend it ?:thumbsup:

Really doubt you could get the R skid plate to fit a L with out cutting it up and redoing it.