08 Aprilias really more reliable than 07?

Hey everyone - just sold my KTM and am out shoppin!

I was really interested in the RXV550 when it came out but like many I was scared off by reliability issues. (There was what I read on forums, then I went to a dealer who offered me a test ride. Don't know what happened but gas just started spurtin everywhere. He was gonna call me when he got it going but never did)

So I've heard they've doubled the service intervals for 08 ... does that mean they did anything to the bike or did they just print a new owners manual?

Anyone log in some serious miles on an '08 yet?

BTW I know what I'd do for marketing if I was Aprilia. Yamaha just made a supposedly bulletproof version of the WR250F - the WR250R. If I was Aprilia I'd make a Reliable RXV550. Destress the engine robbing 5 hp or so, add 20 lbs making the subframe stronger, oil cooler, fan, etc and try to make it compete with a DR or KLR for reliability while still kicking butt off road and on.

Hey everyone - just sold my KTM and am out shoppin!

I was really interested in the RXV550 when it came out but like many I was scared off by reliability issues. (There was what I read on forums, then I went to a dealer who offered me a test ride. Don't know what happened but gas just started spurtin everywhere. He was gonna call me when he got it going but never did)

So I've heard they've doubled the service intervals for 08 ... does that mean they did anything to the bike or did they just print a new owners manual?

Anyone log in some serious miles on an '08 yet?

BTW I know what I'd do for marketing if I was Aprilia. Yamaha just made a supposedly bulletproof version of the WR250F - the WR250R. If I was Aprilia I'd make a Reliable RXV550. Destress the engine robbing 5 hp or so, add 20 lbs making the subframe stronger, oil cooler, fan, etc and try to make it compete with a DR or KLR for reliability while still kicking butt off road and on.

I haven't had any problems with my 07. A lot of issues are dealer/owner created IMHO.

I agree with your marketing idea but, it comes with a fan and the subframe is strong. The oil cooler would be a nice touch though.

Yes the 08 is certainly more reliable. Different engine cases and all the problems have been solved. Still need a dealer who know's his stuff though. The 06/and early 07 had some production troubles caused by stupid luigi's... I'd go for a 08 they looks sweet too with the black fairings.

Yes the 08 is certainly more reliable. Different engine cases and all the problems have been solved. Still need a dealer who know's his stuff though. The 06/and early 07 had some production troubles caused by stupid luigi's... I'd go for a 08 they looks sweet too with the black fairings.

It's been said that the early 07's were hand assembled for some reason (I don't know if this is an urban legend or not). I haven't had the issues a lot of 07 owners have had. I've also got one of the first US models.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an 08 RXV550 and although it doesnt have a lot of klms on it yet it seems good. I have never ridden an 06 or 07 but I am aware of there issues.

The bike arrived home with 40mm of oil above the full mark in it and the dealer deristricted it and left the restricted map in it as advised from the main importer. The dealer issue still ramains.... find a good one who knows the bike.

I dont feel the difference between the soft and hard mapping switch unless the problem lies with the restricted map still being loaded. The services intervals have doubled and there is also a 2yr warranty and full Arrow comp exhaust system.

I plan on changing the front tire to a 100 after I flog the rear out to help front end grip. The front guard is black and the rear is white. The seat is red and a little hard after 3 hrs in the saddle. You will also definately need the 12lt tank as the 7.5lt is asking for more after 70klm.

I have had it come on after 52klm but that was playing hard and power sliding every corner.

It is a fun bike to ride and the there are not alot around. Aftermarket parts are rare as nobody makes them. Its all red,yellow,green,orange or blue.

• 4 weeks later...

I could be mistaking but as for the engine case I believe it's the same as the 07. I think I read on the AF1 forum that they changed the piston design and used different case sealant. There were other improvement as well such as the stater and starter updates.

I got my RXV 450 back in September of 07 and have just over 1200 miles and still going.