Sign in to follow this  

Does synthetic oil burn?

I have always been told that synthetic oil didn't burn so I thought I'd test that theory with the motorex from my last oil change. It burned very very well. It almost seemed like it burned more readily than regular oil. Have I been given false information? Do other synthetics burn?

Anything will burn or turn to steam if the temp. is hot enough. Remember, energy is not created or detroyed, just changes forms.

You were given false info.

Synthetic oil will burn. It may have a higher smoke point than conventional (dino) oil, but it will burn nonetheless.

Yep it'll burn. But one of it's main advantages is it takes much higher temp before it breaks down than conventional oil.

Anything will burn or turn to steam if the temp. is hot enough. Remember, energy is not created or detroyed, just changes forms.

That's vaporisation, not combustion.

So you lit a match to the oil and it burned??? What did you think was going to happen? You ever lit a match to a steel wool pad? It will burn very well too! What...steel will burn??? (Don't tell Opra...she still doesn't think the twin towers actually burned.) Dude, anything will burn if it gets hot enough.

I highly suggest you buy some cheap petroleum oil and run that from now on if you don't think your "synthetic" oil is cutting it.....the cheapest $hit energy conserving car oil that you can find!!!

Thanks guys. Personally, I run synthetic in all of my vehicles and I think it is better than dino oil. I was just curious because I was told that the synthetics wouldn't burn so I went to make a fire and put some on the starter wood and it lit up quite easily. The oil was used in my bike so I guess I was just concerned that it was somehow getting contaminated.