To 650L or not to

I have raced open superbikes (gsxr1000s)here in california, and converted some of my racebikes back to street trim running 180+ HP, but have retired and sold them all. I bought an XR650L and it is the most fun I have ever had on a motorcycle. I spent six weeks and 4000 miles on the thing going to Cabo San Lucas and back and there is not a single other bike that I would of rather had, and many, many other riders on hogs and fz1 were a bit envious of the stories I would tell of where I had been that they could not go.

Surprisingly I thought I would miss the power, but in reality you rarely use more than the 30hp that the xrl has but for an occasional straight away on the big bikes. The surge of power on a street bike is awesome, but you use it maybe 15% of the time when I use the offroadness of the xr 60-70% of the time and I don't fret the speed bumps.

The bike is utterly reliable too.

I have Honda 919 and bought XR650L a week ago. It does well on a highway. Nimble enough below 70 mph to be safe, and power fades as soon as you get into expensive speed range.

My XR650L was lowered and had thicker foam in the seat installed by PO, but after 70+ miles highway riding my butt and hands were getting numb... you do get spoiled on 4 cylinder sports ...

I think it'll be a great machine for you, especially for your commuting needs. Their reputation for being reliable is unmatched, you can't kill a XR! Even though its more of a dirtbike and its heritage is all offroad it does great on road as well because its a heavier machine, you won't be blown around a whole lot on the street. It may not be the fastest bike out there but they are deffinately torque monsters and plenty of aftermarket if you need more. I'm fairly close to your hieght being 5'7" I couldn't ride the bike in stock form so the dealer lowered it for me with a lowering link. Still a little high but you get used to it. Good luck with your decision. ?

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=57843

Redrider,

Your bike looks great. Just wondering where you got the tank. I have a new to me '07 with 1600 miles and I want to get a bigger tank. I've got the smog block off on the way, and I'll be looking to rejet and open it up. I'd love to get a bigger tank. One thing I don't want to do is drop the fuel economy, but I think opening it up will do so.

Its a Clarke 4.7, just google it, there's lots of suppliers for it.?

Redrider,

Your bike looks great. Just wondering where you got the tank. I have a new to me '07 with 1600 miles and I want to get a bigger tank. I've got the smog block off on the way, and I'll be looking to rejet and open it up. I'd love to get a bigger tank. One thing I don't want to do is drop the fuel economy, but I think opening it up will do so.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi everyone . . .

New to the forum and Dual SPorting - and am currently shopping for a steed. I have a long history of street bikes (sport) and have been aching to hit the dirt.

I'm from Canada and the XR650L is the only Honda DS on the Market right now (other than the tiny 230 that doesn't suit my needs).

I've been searching here and on ADV, and Dual Sport BC, and everytime someone asks about the 650L, people chime in about the 650R and how great it is. I'm sure its great, but I'm likely going to have to trade in my current bike and deal with a new model (for reasons I won't go into here). So the 650R isn't an option (unless I can find used at the dealer).

Cheers

If you are still looking for a XR 650R they are still available new in Canada. Burlington cycle said they have one and also one in Hamilton. They are both new, (left over). One dealer said he can still order a left over 650R. Call around sounds like they still have some left. You should still be able to do a trade because it's new.