Dr. Mark Allumnus

I've been seeing more and more people are going to Dr. Mark for first surgeries and re-work to fix botched jobs. To give people a better reference point to get information, I thought it might be a good idea to start the "Allumnus" thread.

If you've been to see Dr. Mark, list a date and brief description and maybe Dr. Mark will make this a sticky so people can find information easier and possibly eliminate some repeat posts.

Bilateral knee surgery to repair Chondromalacia in knees, Feb 2006.

Riding, running and biking again :prof:

Broke my R clavicle on 12-9. Local Ortho said it will be fine but 5 weeks later, still no signs of healing.

I let Dr Mark operate on 1-18 and 2 months later I am as good as new. I am so pleased w/ Dr Mark and his staff that I am sending my son to him this Thursday.

Any who needs an Ortho should consider Dr Mark.

Daughter had ACL Opposite knee Patella graft same day as Racer Chaser 2.25.08. Biking, Lifting weights,running, did aerobics today. Very happy with the progress. She is counting down the days til she can get back on the bike. If you have questions feel free to ask. :prof:

We flew in from NC

Fractured clavicle repaired, Spring 2006. I missed only two SXs. Usually your are out three months for this

Repair of dislocated thumb, Spring 2007. I was back two weeks after the cast was off. Total time off the bike six weeks.

If I had only known Doc back in the '90s my racing career would have been completely different.

Good luck to all.

JD

ACL revision after botched ACL reconstruction surgery by another ortho.

Back riding in around 5 weeks, racing a short time later.

My Mother was told by two other doctors that she needed a total knee replacement, Dr Mark fixed her up with outpatient surgery...she couldn't be happier!

Broken clavicle in 7/2007. Had it repaired by a local ortho who screw it up. Five months later, a complete non-union. Dr Mark repaired it 12/07 and although not completely healed yet (due to the first Dr's screw up) all is going great and getting better every day

Broken clavicle. Had it repaired by the local ortho that did a wonderful job on my very broken and poking out of my skin femur last summer, but the plate wasn't long enough to screw into stable bone, so with my high level of dishwashing and litter-box-scooping, the screws pulled out of the bone. Went to see Dr Mark (who pretty much predicted exactly what happened) to get it fixed.

I was very impressed with his straightforward demeanor, knowledge, experience and understanding of the thought processes of motorcyclists.

Don't understimate the ordeal of traveling for surgery. It is many times more stressful and tiring (and more expensive, depending on you insurance) that doing it locally and getting to go right back home to bed. OTOH, it is less stressful and tiring and expensive than getting it done wrong locally and getting to go right back home to bed, and then flying to houston anyway 5 weeks later.

I have known a few people who have had acl reconstruction, and I have to say I was flabbergasted to see one of dr mark's acl patients on his feet and fairly comfortable walking around the DAY AFTER SURGERY!!! Clearly this guy knows something about getting athletes to recover quickly.

I strongly recommend that anyone flying there do one of two things:

1) bring a wife, girlfriend or other friend to sign you out of the hospital, cuz they will try to imprison you overnight otherwise, setting back your recovery a few days.

2) if you can't do #1, then find someone on TT or bribe a taxi driver, or even a bum on the street to masquerade as your friend and sign you out. Hospitals are where they keep sick and fragile people. It's no place for someone trying to recover from surgery to be.

ACL revision - Right knee. Traveled from Denver to Houston for 3/3/08 surgery. That was 4-1/2 weeks ago. I am now riding a lot of stationary bike miles, jumping, lifting weights, doing stairs... The pain is quickly decreasing, and I am getting a lot of flexibility back.

I rode a quad around a motocross track last weekend. I could not keep up with my 8 yr old on his ktm 65, but was happy to be on the track even though it was not the YZF 4 fitty.

I would be happy to talk to anyone considering a trip to Houston. If I had done that for my 1st ACL 10 years ago, I would probably not be having this "fun" now.

Bankart to repair torn Labrum from multiple dislocations done by local doc 11/06 in the land of fruits and nuts. Took over 6 months before i could get back on my bike.

Messed it up again after a small get off....Flew to Houston 09/07 to get it fixed with Dr. Mark. I was his first out of town patient in his new facility. I was back trail riding with my son in 2 months...racing again in 3. Absolute best decision i ever made....

Jason

Dr. Sanders is THEMAN. 2005 Blown out Labrum, raced again in 3-months. 2006, tib-fib fixed. Dr. Sanders is always there for his patients and is passionate about our sport and us. You'd be crazy to at least not talk to him!!!

ACL replacement with oposite knee as donor, bone graft. 1/28/08

Flew down account wanted the best Doctor to operate on. As the saying get it done right the first time.

Went down alone for this and spent the 1st night after surgery at the hospital. I don't feel it set me back in any way. It acutually helped account alone and needed the nurses help with changing the ice in the Cryo Cuff and remind/help me to do my stretches every hour on the hour. If your strong enough you can do it alone since you WALK out of the hospital the next day. Plus your not on any heavy pain killers. Therefore, since you can walk, it's not that bad. Gives you motivation to move and get ice from the machine. Plus, being alone your not tempted to go traveling around Houston. Just sleep and do your daily exercises and ice trips down the hall. One or two trips to the pharmacy for supplies.

Returned to work after 3 weeks off.

No pain now and getting stronger and thinner daily. Getting back on the dirt bike Saturday:banana:

My trip/exp was top notch professional and Dr Mark and staff are awesome. Feel free to IM me

4/15/08, Went riding this weeked and knee felt great. Took it slow on easy/moderate single track on Saturday. Sunday was at open ORV play area with whoops/sand, plus fast woods sections. Not much around here open for riding with all the snow. Virtually no swelling on ACL knee and no pain at all. Did 46 miles in 2 days and it felt so good to sit on the bike again. Rode untill fatigue and didn't push it to much. Sticking to the PT was worth the work. My body was soar on Monday, but in a good way. Thanks Dr. Mark for doing a great job.

ACL reco, 11-15-07, flew from WA state, I wouldnt want to go by myself. Glad I went to Htown after I got back people were suprized how well I was doing. I was snowmobiling in 6 weeks, would have rode the bike before 3 months but the track was closed.