OIL leak

Hey guys:

I dont have a kawi but my friend has a problem with his 450R. He has a LOT of oil in his air filter box. Every time he rides, he gets a lot of oil leaking into his airbox. He is not droping the bike...he swears he is not overfilling the oil. He has taken it to two dealers and one said the factory forgot some seal and they added that seal. The other dealer said it was his primary sprocket seal and replaced that as well. It is a bran new bike 2008 and this problem started the day he bought the bike. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Its the crankcase emission control system. from what kawasaki says...

"This system eliminates the release of crankcase vapors into the atmosphere. Instead, the vapors are routed through an oil separator to the intake side of the engine. while the engine is operating, the vapors are drawn into the combustion chamber, where they are burned along with the fuel and air supplied by the fuel injection system."

I have the same problem with my Kawi!

BTW: Can someone tell me what is the correct procedure of oil level checking?I do what they write in awners manual,but when I start bike and left engine to work a few minutes,stop and wait few minutes again ,the level is too low.I apply some oil (until the level reach the midle of check window) and after only 10 minutes of riding the level is too hight and begin the oil leak from airbox valve(I put a valve from XR).May be it is something wrong in checking procedure and I'm overfilling the bike???What you thing about?

ok heres a stumper..... went riding today with my bud who has a pretty much stock klx450 and toward the end of the day he heard his valves starting to roar..... shut her down at once and found that he had lost ALL of his oil(it was dripping on the ground at a pretty good pace)... Filled it with some more oil and he had lost it all pretty much coasting down the mountain, sprayed the motor down, filled again and searched for the leak couldn't tell where it was coming from still..... looked like it may be coming from behind the front sprocket, but not sure..... he went home and cleaned refilled, ran, and searched once again only to find that there was not oil leaking and was still full???? any thoughts?

he went home and cleaned refilled, ran, and searched once again only to find that there was not oil leaking and was still full???? any thoughts?

Try riding it and loading the front sprocket...see what gives

As far as oil in the airbox...do these bikes come with sopping wet (with filter oil) filters? I used to have the same issue on my Yamaha and found that I was over oiling my filters.

Drop the oil, measure out into a jug correct amount and refill, don't fill by the sight glass just use it as a guide to see if level changes. Possibly overfilling and pressurising gearbox. Not sure how the ais works as its not fitted here in Aus, crankcase breather runs from the front left of the engine along the frame and into the airbox on the "dirty" side of the airfilter, if the engine is overfilled oil is pushed through this pipe then drips out the airbox drain onto the swingarm, countersproket area. Is the same setup? Fitted a KX breather to mine and blocked off the air box.

On the klx450r there is a blocked tube at the bottem of the airbox like 2 inches long once that fill's up it backs up in to the airboxs it is not from over oiling the filter! it has to be from over filling oil, quick fixs is i'am thinking of just takeing the 2inch hose and putting a drain hose that goes down with all the other hoses.

Make sure the bike is vertical when checking the oil level, not on the kickstand.

It is vertikal, but there is no oil on the check window!And after 10 minutes riding the level is in the middle of window.I don't understand whats happened.If the procedure is correct, it means a great loose of oil.May be 100-150 ml for 500 km (300 mi)

Check the KX section, there's a lot of stuff on oil level.

Basically, the oil level will only appear correct in the window 5 min or so after you've stopped running the engine, but you have to run it for a minute or two to get it right.

Measure the amoount you put in, around 1 litre, run the engine a bit, and check the window to verify after it's set a couple of minutes.

• 2 months later...
I have the same problem with my Kawi!

BTW: Can someone tell me what is the correct procedure of oil level checking?I do what they write in awners manual,but when I start bike and left engine to work a few minutes,stop and wait few minutes again ,the level is too low.I apply some oil (until the level reach the midle of check window) and after only 10 minutes of riding the level is too hight and begin the oil leak from airbox valve(I put a valve from XR).May be it is something wrong in checking procedure and I'm overfilling the bike???What you thing about?

be as careful as posible when measuring the oil amount you are about to put in when doing your oil change.if the manual says to put in 1300ml when it is completely dry then only put in 1200ml at first and then run it for 2 minutes,wait 2 minutes after shuuting down then check it to see what the level is.if its still down a bit only add 50ml at a time and repeat this process and you should never over fill it.bear in mind it should definately take no more than 1300ml.dont forget that if you leave the filter in then it wont even take this much oil,maybe start by only putting in 1000ml as the manual says it should only take 1060ml in that situation.hope this helps...

I'm not talking about overfilling.I put 1200 ml wnen change filter or 1100 when not change filter.The problem is that bike lost 150-200ml of oil between 2 changes (600km/370 miles).May be it is normal......????.

There is no white smoke from silencer and I see only 1 oil leak-from air box, where the pipe from breather is puted.What you thing?

I'm not talking about overfilling.I put 1200 ml wnen change filter or 1100 when not change filter.The problem is that bike lost 150-200ml of oil between 2 changes (600km/370 miles).May be it is normal......????.

There is no white smoke from silencer and I see only 1 oil leak-from air box, where the pipe from breather is puted.What you thing?

i change my oil every 250km and i can't say it seems to have lost any oil between these changes,as for the breather/catch tube at the bottom of the air box i have only ever had a little bit of water mixed with a little bit of air filter oil in it and i'm talking only just enough to fill the little (approx 2" )tube.i would guess that any more than that is probably not good!.