Very stupid question, but what way do you tighten spokes?

I too, use the 'ping' method on old wheels. There is too much stiction in the spoke nipples on an old used wheel to have a spoke torque wrench be accurate. However, when I build a wheel myself, I use anti-seize on the spoke threads. I use the spoke torque wrench. It does do a better job than by ear. To do this on an old wheel, you would need to remove the spokes, chase them with a tap and die, anti-seize. Ugh, I need a nap!

when I build a wheel myself, I use anti-seize on the spoke threads. I use the spoke torque wrench. It does do a better job than by ear.
I use paraffin (from any grocery store, with the Mason jars). It's preferable to anti-sieze because there is no oil base to sneak into the wheel and attack the rim strip/tube/tire, and because it's a bit more temporary.

I will use a spoke torque wrench to get the spokes in the right range of tension, but even on a new wheel, I use tone to balance the tension. IMO, it's a more accurate indication of the actual tension on the spokes.

Gray, the paraffin idea is a good one. Also will 'seal' the spoke threads a little. Next wheel, I'll give that a go.