DNA Extreme Wheels???

I am looking to buy some new wheels for my crf and have found good deals on DNA Extreme wheel sets. Do any of you have this brand and or know anything about them? I was also thinking of just buying the rim and the spokes and lacing them to my stock hub. If any of you know where I could go to get some good deals I would appreciate it. Also, I don't want to get a crappy set, if there are other brands on wheel sets that are better or anything please let me know what brand and where to buy some. Thankyou.

Obviously Excel wheels are the best, and the A60 are the best of the best. They happened to be the most expensive too...odd huh... :prof:

My personal opinion on the best cost effective setup would be the A60 Rims, a set of Bucanan stainless spokes on your hubs. You dont really need a billet hub unless your racing Baja, Supercross, the Nationals or you're rich.

Lacing them yourself is easy.

Ive heard some less than flattering things about the DNA wheelsets. Some about customer service, some on strength...no personal first hand experience though.

i have also heard some less than flattering things about the DNA wheels

I got a good deal on normal excel's from a friend, if you use the standard hubs, I can recommend to have the hubs powdercoated, if done you can get a nice bling for low price :prof:

HPIM23321.jpg

No doubt it's worth getting stronger stainless spokes, and reusing spokes is a NO-GO, in most cases.

If I do that, I will need the A60 rim with 32 so that it will match my stock hub right? Most of the A60's I have seen are 36.

Also, I can get warp 9 wheels and spokes at Rockymountainatv.com for a good deal. Will these work on my stock hubs. Anyone had these kind of rims before? By the way, thanks to all for your time and help.

Pro Wheels.

The excel a60 rim and spokes on my hub sounds nice. That sounds like the best option vs price/performance. Just found some "PRO WHEELS" on ebay though. Anyone know anything about that brand. Still wondering about warp 9 too. Just because the price difference vs Excels.

I bought regular black excels ( not a60 ) & spline drive spokes. Polished my stock hubs on a lathe & assembled............... This is the cheapest / strongest path.

I also installed red anodized wheel spacers xr-only / rbr....... It looks pretty trick.

Well would love to hear the first hand stories on the DNA issues. Love the bashing without any facts to back it up. I have seen problems with other brands of wheels out there - bearings and rotors on the prowheels, rad hub issues and excels are only as good as they are laced and trued. I dont like the modular hub on the excels either as they can shear bolts, round of heads and just more parts to mess with and weight.

I have only heard of a few bearing problems. Easily fixed. They do come as complete wheels. I dont believe you can buy the spokes or rims directly from them. I know the spokes are much larger than stock, so probably would not fit a stock hub. COming as complete wheels, you dont have to mess with the labor for lacing and truing. They use a different bearing than stock that is about 25% stronger. They use their own spacers to adapt it to the bike. So you cannot use the stock spacers. They also come with a 1 year warranty to.

I have a few sets of them and a few friends that have them. No problems with them so far.

I love my DNA wheels. they are so true no problems at all. GREAT WHEEL!

I just purchased a Warp 9 wheel so I can keep my paddle tire on the stock setup. So far it seems pretty good!! The spokes are beefy, nipples are strong, and everything seems to be high quality! And you can't beat the price for what you get!

I strongly would not recommend Warp 9 wheels. I have blown two of the rims apart on the join. I got the first one replaced under warranty and I'm not even going to bother getting this one replaced!!!The only thing keeping the rim round was the tyre and spokes. Once I unlaced my rear wheel (To put a new excel rim on) the rim sprung apart and looks like a c!!!!! The hubs seem fine (They're just a cast OEM copy).

I'm sure they'd be fine in a sand situation, But I ride MX and I don't think they're up to that sort of abuse. Mine flat spotted first moto!!!!

And yes, I was running correct air pressures and adjusted the spoke tensions at the intervals recommended by warp 9.

I'll post a picture up when I get a chance.

those TCR hubs seem to be really good. they claim less weight and used by many pros.

I strongly would not recommend Warp 9 wheels. I have blown two of the rims apart on the join. I got the first one replaced under warranty and I'm not even going to bother getting this one replaced!!!The only thing keeping the rim round was the tyre and spokes. Once I unlaced my rear wheel (To put a new excel rim on) the rim sprung apart and looks like a c!!!!! The hubs seem fine (They're just a cast OEM copy).

I'm sure they'd be fine in a sand situation, But I ride MX and I don't think they're up to that sort of abuse. Mine flat spotted first moto!!!!

And yes, I was running correct air pressures and adjusted the spoke tensions at the intervals recommended by warp 9.

I'll post a picture up when I get a chance.

Interesting, there are so many mixed reviews on these wheels. A guy I ride with has had a set on his 04 CRF since the company came out and they are still in perfect condition. He weights a good 230 and is not a slow rider by any means. From past post I know Eddie loves these wheels and I promise he has some of the most powerful bikes around.

I have my paddle tire on my stock setup and my nobbie on my warp 9 wheel. I have done 2 races and 6 or so practices and the wheel still looks great. Time will tell though, I ride a good amount of desert and mountain trails with lots of rocks and stumps too. Did a very rocky 45 mile loop has week and there where no flat spots on the wheel. So far so good!

Well would love to hear the first hand stories on the DNA issues. Love the bashing without any facts to back it up.

I picked up a pair for a great price. I run offroad and definitely destroy rims like nobodys business. For some reason i love to find just the right rock. Stock rims only give me about a race or two where as my DNA's have never failed me. That is, Until my hub exploded. Yes my sprocket was tight. Like the excels i ran before them i could not damage the rim or spokes, but the hub gave out on me.

I would say definitely buy them. I am probably a 1 in 10,000 chance a hub would detonate like that.

After I put a few hours on one set on my RMZ the front bearings went out, and after about 30hrs on the set on my CRF I have noticed that the rear bearings are starting to get crunchy. So other than the cheap bearings in them they are great wheels. BTW the bearings in both sets are a 6005 series bearing which if I am not mistaken is the same as a KTM bearing. These are DNA's by the way.

After I put a few hours on one set on my RMZ the front bearings went out, and after about 30hrs on the set on my CRF I have noticed that the rear bearings are starting to get crunchy. So other than the cheap bearings in them they are great wheels. BTW the bearings in both sets are a 6005 series bearing which if I am not mistaken is the same as a KTM bearing. These are DNA's by the way.
thanks for the update , bearings can go bad thats no big deal , when racing we replace bearings every few races

i love my dna wheels.. 400 for a set and they come laced.. cant beat it!

I have a set of DNA Black rims/ stainless spokes and silver hubs on my CRF450 for two years. They are great, was concerned about spokes comoing loose based on other posts but mine have needed very little tightening.

COming as complete wheels, you dont have to mess with the labor for lacing and truing.

thats not what my local shop told me when I brought them to get installed onto the bike and got a 500$ bill!!

:worthy:

They also come with a 1 year warranty to.

huh? explain?

I bought DNAs off ebay last november and am having problems with the hubs all banged up and the spacers are banged up. I cant even find spare parts that im willing to pay for let alone a free 1 year warranty...