armourbl

How to: Service 2008 Steering Damper (lots of pics)

so i just put in some 10-40 and it was a huge pain to get the big cir-clip in so i put it on the bike and its on the stand and it feels light draging but the more to either side it goes the more drag it has is this properly functioning?

i just redid my oil, after putting together should the shaft slowly push out on it's own? i redid a 2nd time pushing the shaft down before putting the circlip on and it still does somewhat.. is that a bad thing? seems to damen in and out just fine, works on the bike moving the bars back and forth, just when i held it in my hand the shaft would push out on it's own a bit..

That damper is a worthless piece of C R A P buy a Scotts!

i actually find it does well. for what its designed to do that is.. it's more of a steering aid, not a damper to get you out of trouble. i actaully like the fact it doesn't dampen in the mostly straight steering area of travel. but having 2 crf's, an 04 and an 08, the one with the damper (08) is noticeable.

Perhaps I overlooked it, but Armourbi, what did your buddy think about his with the Rotella?

It felt it was a noticeable improvement, but still ended up putting a GPR on his bike. I ultimately did the same. The conditions where I tend to ride really warrant a traditional steering dampner.

ben

It felt it was a noticeable improvement, but still ended up putting a GPR on his bike. I ultimately did the same. The conditions where I tend to ride really warrant a traditional steering dampner.

ben

Well I'm definitely going to give this a try on my '09. I've noticed in the last 3 months a vast decrease in damping and I'm ready to refresh it. Not to decide on what weight/type of lube to use......

just rebuilt my 2011 with 10w fork oil. after making a huge mess and lots of cursing i have a damper that actually helps. it isnt as good as a gpr or scotts but 6 bucks for a bottle of oil is much better than 500 for a damper.

Excellent write up! Just finished servicing the damper on a 2010 and it feels great. Used 5w Honda fork oil and rearranged the valve stack around as pictured.

What is the torque spec on the shaft nut?

My threads got a bit buggered when loosening the nut, had to do a little cleanup. Perhaps the threaded end of the shaft was peened?

I also had lots of trouble seating the snap ring. I might try to remove the clicker adjustment next time so that the damper fills and bleeds like the rear shock.

Bolt sizes for the parts extraction.

M8 x 1.25 for the inner piston. FYI This is the same size as the chain adjuster bolt and is common in bolt kits.

M4 for the plastic cap on the spring side.

Thanks again!

Edited by uuc328

Can any body help me out?

this damper doesn't do any damping when the bars are dead-straight, or very slightly off straight. the damping starts to occur with the bars slightly turned, and progressively dampens more the further to full lock you go. It's a "Steering aid", not so much a steering damper that dampens ALL the time, even when straight. If you have resistance when the bars are dead straight, you may have your steering head bearing lock nut below the top clamp too tight. Just take the damper off, and check

Can someone please post the pics back up. I neeeeeed to do this.

Thanks!

Does anyone has the pics and can repost them or send them to me? rebuilding mine, picz would help right now im following the service manual.