Handguards for XR650L

I'm thinking about buying handguards for my L. Cycra says you don't have to cut the brake or clutch lever to fit the Cycra Probends. Are there any others that you don't have to cut the levers? What is the preference on mounting systems? I would think that the triple clamps would be better but I don't have any first hand experience.

Thanks

Tobin

I have the Cyrca Pro Bends and really like them. I bought the barmount system for my Pro Tapers. I have yet to break any levers on my L after many lay downs/ crashes and feel that they are well worth the money. I can't comment on the triple clamp version as I don't know anybody that went that route. Hope this helps. V

I love the Bonz mounts but I just can't justify the cost. I'm interested in the Tusk guards if you don't have to cut the levers. They are a lot cheaper about half the price of the Cycra. Anybody have both to compare. IMNXNYR I can't seem to get your pictures to work I keep getting a "you don't have permission to see this error".

Thanks

Tobin

Sorry bout that. Try using this link. It'll bring up 5 thumbnail pictures. The 4th and 5th will give you an idea as to what the tusks look like mounted from front and rear. Click on the thumbnail picture and it'll bring it up to about a 640x480, then click on the little magnifying glass with the + sign in it to see the pic in actual size which will give you better detail. The pictures are actually quite huge and in full size should be twice your monitor size when in actual size display.

Now on a side note, I did not have to cut the levers however I did slide both lever perches towards the center of the bars about half an inch and of course both grips as well as the throttle tube will need to be cut for bar end mounting. Another point to consider is that on my bike (07) the electric start/kill switch unit and the high-low beam/turn signal unit had a small protuding plastic dowel on the lower half of the units that aligned with holes on the underside of the OEM bars (I guess to prevent the units from rotating on the bars) this may not apply to your year bike but if it does and you intend to slide the electrical units inboard (to allow for the perches to be moved as well) the dowel will need to be removed. Did mine with a round file.

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/562994128dcvGrq

Moose hand-guards here. I cut the little balls off the ends of the levers. You don't need them anyway because the levers wont be hitting anything ever again after installing the hand-guards. ?

just installed some this weekend. my levers sit just under the guard, did not have to trim. they were a pia to mount with renthal atv bars.

All electricals work just fine. Because of the added 2+ inches of height and extra inch width of the bars as well as the placement of the bar mounts for the guards, I ended up re-routing both the brake and throttle cables to allow for no binding from lock to lock. In hindsight I would of gotten triple clamp mounts vice the bar mounts for the tusks and I believe that would have eliminated all cable routing. It all came down to money for me at the time as I bought 3 complete sets of guards (mine and my daughters and her husbands). There are some brands out there that were equal to or exceeded my total cost for just one complete set. The workmanship on the tusks are exceptional IMHO and although there are some posts out there that mention the products weak point is in the bar mounts, I would have to disagree up to this point. Both my kids bikes spend alot of time on their sides while trailing and so far no damage to anything aside for scratched spoilers. I have seen pictures on this site of the broken bar mount which may quantify the weak point but I would think you would have to really take a pretty hard dive at a considerable speed for it to break.

Nonetheless I really like the style and the cost is pretty hard to beat.

As soon as I submit this reply I will take a couple of additional pictures of the setup from above and below and post them in "My Garage" (which I just today figured out how to use).

I use Cycras with triple clamp mounts on my L. I had to do a lot of adjustment to the guards to make them fit with my CR-high renthals. You have to get longer bolts to make them work. The brackets are pretty thick. I use them to clear up space on my bars for other things.

Why do you guys have to make my life difficult?? I'd have to give the style edge to the Cycra with Bonz mounts. BUT the Tusks jobs aren't bad at all, and the price.....?:confused:

LOL dedice between the price and looks and go with the one you can live with the best, you know we can never get the cake and eat it too!! GL

Thanks for the input everyone. I still haven't decided. I'm leaning towards the Cycra probends because I like the idea of the triple clamp mount. The price is just hurting my head or maybe my wallet. I need to decide this weekend because my friend and I are taking of and heading to bald eagle state park to run their dual sport trails at the end of april.

Thanks

Tobin