Kenda K760 Trakmaster II

I'm new to DS and bought a 2001 XR650L. It already has the "dave mods" but it needs some new tires.

For the rear, how would the Kenda K760 Trakmaster II do for 60% to 70% dirt?

The off-road riding includes everything from dirt & gravel roads to single track with rocks. Always some mud in the low sections, but usually it's dry and hardpack.

Thanks!

I ran that tire on a 96 XR650L and a 01 KTM 400 and it was a very decent tire. I rode about 90% dirt but it did fine on the road. Now, I never "tested" it's road qualities mind you, I never took it to the limit on tar to see what it could do:eek:

Lasted pretty long too.

I just tested one out a little. I just dual sported my XR650R and I had a brand new Trakmaster (rear) on at Hatfield McCoy in West Virginia last weekend. It was very muddy in most spots, and very steep and rocky in others, and I was rather impressed with the hookup.

I wore the edge off the knobs off a little, but otherwise I think it is a good tire. I was surprised that with the power of the bike in the steep rocky stuff it didn't just shred those tall knobs right off.

I have not ridden too many street miles, but it seemed to behave on what little I did, although it's noisy. But I was more concerned with hookup in the dirt, I don't ride it too much on the street.

I just put one on my DRZ400 and can't really say much about it so far. I do mostly dirt but since putting it on I have done around 200 miles of pavement and 50 miles of gravel. No serious dirt yet. It seems to be wearing faster than I expected but I haven't been taking it easy on it either. For the price I think it will be a good tire for what it is made for.

Great minds must think alike. I agree 100%, have a 450X as well, and will probably just sacrifice a 606 the next-go-round. It doesn't hook up as well but lasts over 1,000 miles longer, even on 90% dirt. ?

For the price of the TMII why not buy 2 of them and not sacrifice in the dirt? ?

Great minds must think alike. I agree 100%, have a 450X as well, and will probably just sacrifice a 606 the next-go-round. It doesn't hook up as well but lasts over 1,000 miles longer, even on 90% dirt. ?

I rode in a extremely muddy AMA dual sport ride with a friend. He was running a Dunlop 606 and I had the Kenda Trakmaster. The increased amount of traction that the Trakmaster was able to get in those conditions was remarkable. If traction offroad is a priority, I don't think you can beat the Trakmaster (for DOT tires). If you want on-road traction or longer wear, then go with the Dunlop (or a host of other options).

Love it. 30% road is going to eat through it though - I'd say 1500 miles tops. Onroad traction is good at best but offroad the tire is unbelievable; especially for the price you cant beat it. You will love it!

-Lou

I have one on my 450X and like it for the price. Just know that they are very soft and you have to keep that in mind or you will tear the knobs clean off.

I think next go~around I'll spend a little more and get the D606. ?

+1

I have the TMII on the front and the D606 on the rear and it works well, but the TMII front has a lateral slide to it that is discomforting in the sand, otherwise not bad. I think most of these folks are talking about the opposite setup - d606 front, TMII rear. I love my d606 rear though, I have had the bike in mud up to the handlebars and just powered out, great traction and doesnt cling to mud

The TMII front is useless, it won't stick to any surface under any circumstance. The rear has excellent straight line traction, but lateral stability leaves a little to be desired.

This is different than my experience. I have never had the front wheel wash out in anything except slick clay mud. In those conditions (slick clay mud), I think a specific soft terrain (mud/sand) tire would work better but I don't know of any that are DOT approved that would be better than the Trakmaster II.

As far as lateral stability, I have had good luck with the rear. It slides predictably and gets good traction while cornering. Maybe playing around with the tire pressure would help. I know from experience that the TM II is really squirrelly in corners on pavement if the pressure is too low.

...I think a specific soft terrain (mud/sand) tire would work better but I don't know of any that are DOT approved that would be better than the Trakmaster II.

Any of the Pirelli fronts are DOT. Including the Scorpion Pro and MT44 which are soft terrain tires and personally I would take any day over the TMII front in the dirt.