getting an 08..question

without searching through everything...

how much better are stainless valves?

i will be wringing the bike out a bit more than most and will ride strictly mx, racing it quite often.

should i get stainless valves right away and have them put in?

i change my oil all the time and stay on top of the air filter...

i put 85 hours on my 07 honda 450 last year and it held up perfect. had it apart at 40 hours and it was perfect. will the 250 handle that too?

any input appreciated as it should be in this week.:thumbsup: :thumbsup: looking forward to something different..cant wait to get out riding:ride: :confused:

also does the linkage and steering head come lubed well?

i think i will pull it all apart anyway while its still clean.

is there any other basic stuff i should keep an eye on since i have never owned one of these before.

i would re grease all your bearing because honda gets cheap on the grease lol

without searching through everything...

how much better are stainless valves?

i will be wringing the bike out a bit more than most and will ride strictly mx, racing it quite often.

should i get stainless valves right away and have them put in?

i change my oil all the time and stay on top of the air filter...

i put 85 hours on my 07 honda 450 last year and it held up perfect. had it apart at 40 hours and it was perfect. will the 250 handle that too?

any input appreciated as it should be in this week.:thumbsup: :thumbsup: looking forward to something different..cant wait to get out riding:ride: :confused:

also does the linkage and steering head come lubed well?

i think i will pull it all apart anyway while its still clean.

is there any other basic stuff i should keep an eye on since i have never owned one of these before.

Lube up all of the linkage points before you ride it. Swing arm, swing arm pivot, linkage, steering head, axles, etc.

The bike will hold up good, just stay on top of maintenance. :ride:

I wouldn't bother with stainless valves until the stock ones wear out. Once the stock ones wear out, send out the head to get the guides checked and seats cut. Then you can install your new Stainless valves, seals, springs, cotters and retainers. (I like the Faction mx intake kit).

You should be changing the oil, engine/trans after every good hard ride at the track, or 2 normal ones out in the bush/3 or so hours. Oil filter after every 10.

Lube up all of the linkage points before you ride it. Swing arm, swing arm pivot, linkage, steering head, axles, etc.

The bike will hold up good, just stay on top of maintenance. :confused:

I wouldn't bother with stainless valves until the stock ones wear out. Once the stock ones wear out, send out the head to get the guides checked and seats cut. Then you can install your new Stainless valves, seals, springs, cotters and retainers. (I like the Faction mx intake kit).

You should be changing the oil, engine/trans after every good hard ride at the track, or 2 normal ones out in the bush/3 or so hours. Oil filter after every 10.

Yeah I figure it will be good to lube everything before I go getting it dirty anyway.

So stick with the regular valves until they wear out? Will I have trouble putting 60-70 hours on stock internals?

Like I said my 450 lasted 85hrs and was still good. Wondering if these are typically the same.

I will change the oil after every ride, and the filter every 2-3 rides.

As for break in I figure I will just go out for an easy trail ride..Let it cool a few times then come home and change the oil and filter.

I know my 450 had a bunch of "gunk" in the oil filter the first time. No shavings though.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

For the break in. Make sure you warm up the bike good, then go ride it hard. Change oil after the the break in ride like you said. If you do not ride it hard the piston rings will not seat to the cylinder walls.

This is what I did on my bike. Got 27.4 hrs on it right now.

when you break it in another way to keep the valves adjusted right, add just a little 2 stroke oil to your gas