leaking forks, easy fix

I have a 4 month old 08 yz450f, a couple of weeks ago I noticed that the forks were leaking oil. It seemed strange to me that it would be leaking, since the bike has only been used about 4 times, most of it for trail riding, not even any major track usage. I did get on a track with it a couple of times, but didn't do any huge jumping with it or anything like that. Anyway, I didn't think it should have been leaking with such small amounts of usage. So I decided to do the 35mm film cleaning treatment to it, and it worked!?:confused: . I cleaned everything real good before and after the 35mm film treatment, took the bike for a ride the next day and there were no more leaks!.? I was already getting used to the idea of paying some shop to change the seals, but that 35mm film really saved me some $$$. So, the next time the seals start leaking I'll pull out the 35mm film and save some more $$$.:ride: :ride:

All OEM seals for 06-08 yamis leak. The design is made for constant maintenence. Most will pull down the dust cover to clean all dirt that builds up and several do it your way. I decided that I am tired of servicing fork seals every ride so I have installed Synergy Seals on my 06 and have not had any further leaks at all and they seem to self clean as there has been no dirt. Thanks to Doug Harvey - suspension guru in Fl for suggesting and selling me these, they are now the only seals that I will use on my 06:thumbsup:

The '04 YZ450 seals are very similar to the Synergy item in that they have a double oil lip and an aggressive outward facing dirt exclusion lip. That's what I use. Had one leak once, but the film trick cured it, and it hasn't leaked again for the last 6 months so far.

do those seals fit the 06-08 yz's or the 07 wr's?

Thanks for the tip. I had problems with leaky seals on my sons 450 as well as my 450. I put on those fork leg seal savers and havent had a problem since I install them.

But they do seam to wear. The lower fork guard does rub on them and they are starting to wear on the inner side.

I'll try 04 seals if my seals start to leak any time soon. Thanks

I thought the diameter of the fork stock increased in 2006 with the arrival of TC s. Guess I was wrong.

Does this 35mm film trick mean that you slide the film between fork seal and then move it around there?

I thought the diameter of the fork stock increased in 2006 with the arrival of TC s.
Nope. 48mm from '04 on, and '05 was the first twin chamber KYB. The change in '06, other than the improved internals, was the tubes are 2mm farther apart.
Does this 35mm film trick mean that you slide the film between fork seal and then move it around there?
Yes.

I thought the diameter of the fork stock increased in 2006 with the arrival of TC s. Guess I was wrong.

yes, just make sure your bike is on a stand with no weight on the front wheel before you do it.

I checked out the synergy website because I might get a set for my '06. They mentioned a set a "pre-wipers" that come with the seals. Do you think these actually improve the performance of the seals?

http://www.synergyseals.com/

Doug Harvey "ShockDoc" has these complete kits for sale for around 40.00. These are the last seals that I will use on my 48mm forks. Pm him for info