Sign in to follow this  

Switching from a CR250

I've just spent the last several hours today, scouring through posts on this board. Either you guys are obsessed with your bike maintenance, or I made the WRONG decision to leave my trusty old 2000 CR250 for my new CRF450.

I cannot believe I have to check/adjust valve clearances and change the oil every 2 freaking rides? that is insane. 20 hours is about 2 months of riding for me.

I've just spent the last several hours today, scouring through posts on this board. Either you guys are obsessed with your bike maintenance, or I made the WRONG decision to leave my trusty old 2000 CR250 for my new CRF450.

I cannot believe I have to check/adjust valve clearances and change the oil every 2 freaking rides? that is insane. 20 hours is about 2 months of riding for me.

Its not that bad. Some guys will do nothing and get a 100 hours before a rebuild and others have to adjust valves at 20 hours and rebuild at 60-80. It all depends on how you ride and oil and filter maintenance. Why do you feel the need to go 450? Are you racing?

Multitude of reasons, however mostly, I just got tired of replacing all the worn out parts on the CR250. I don't race anymore, so that wasn't a factor.

I blew the top end up pretty bad this past september, so it needs a crank rebuild, cylinder, piston, everything. I couldn't come to grips with spending 1500 to rebuild an engine on a bike that is worth less than the repair.

figured I would get a good 2 full seasons out of a new thumper, without having to replace a shitload of parts. Maybe I was wrong in that assumption? This is my first new bike in 10 years, last one was a 1998 CR250

Don't worry about it. I still have my cr250 as well, but never ride it. Many of these guys on the forum will make you paranoid at times. Just do the basics, especially if you aren't a "racer." Change the oil every 2-3 rides, or after a weekend trip. You will be fine, I know people and have read about people on here getting 200+ hours by just doing that. Also, if you aren't really hard on your bike it makes it last that much longer. :thumbsup:

You'll be fine without doing the meticulous maintenance some guys do or what the manual recommends. The manual is VERY conservative.

I know CRF450s that are still raced weekly, zero problems and zero valve adjustments.

Keep the oil changed and keep the air filter clean and you will be fine.

thanks for the encouragement.. I went ahead and added an hour meter to my first parts order (just to make sure) need to re-spring the front and rear to my weight, and add the bare essentials.. glide plate, twin air filter, chain and sprocks, etc..

setting up a new bike is fun, but it can get pricey real quick! i usually change my tranny oil in a 250 every 2-3 rides. Air Filter is every ride (PITA on this bike!)

I blew the top end up pretty bad this past september, so it needs a crank rebuild, cylinder, piston, everything. I couldn't come to grips with spending 1500 to rebuild an engine on a bike that is worth less than the repair.
Getting new OEM parts shipped at online prices, a cylinder runs around $290, piston kit around $120, OEM crank around $210, new head around $65, bearings, seals and gaskets around $100... adds up to less than $800 for almost a complete new engine assembly. Heck, you could also get new left and right engine case halves and still be in for less than $1,300. What all did you blow up :thumbsup:?

thanks for the encouragement.. I went ahead and added an hour meter to my first parts order (just to make sure) need to re-spring the front and rear to my weight, and add the bare essentials.. glide plate, twin air filter, chain and sprocks, etc..

setting up a new bike is fun, but it can get pricey real quick! i usually change my tranny oil in a 250 every 2-3 rides. Air Filter is every ride (PITA on this bike!)

Clean air, clean oil = long life.

If you haven't already spent it, you can cancel the twin air.

Stock filter works extremely well...seriously.