Big Dude needs change

Im 6-2 and 270 pounds. Been going to the gym with a 12 pound weight loss in 6 weeks. Im wanting to change my diet and maybe find some motivation in books or something. I get bored with the rower and eliptical and need some advice on how you guys keep it exciting. We started racing here again and that helps cause it lets me know how bad of shape Im in. Any advice is welcome.

I know what you mean about stuff getting boring in the gym. Make sure you are doing some weight training as well. out of anything you can do that will burn the most fat and calories. I don't know much about dieting. one thing that a lot of the guys i ride with do, myself included, is we have cut fried foods out of our diet completely. other than that we eat normally and probly drink more beer than we should but it has helped. i'm not a big fan of the eliptcal, i feel like running works better but the elip is easier on the knees. I have found that to keep things interesting and to mix it up a little i will take the classes that my gym offers maybe every two weeks take an aerobics, water aerobics, tae bo, abs, or some class that they might offer to mix it up. they are usually good cardio and good for endurance. plus depending on where you work out they offer some nice scenery. That is what i have been doing. usually water areobics. It's pretty fun and different and you get to see some chicks in swim suits. :thumbsup: bad part is sometimes you see chicks in swimsuits that you really wish you hadn't seen:thumbsdn: . Good luck man, keep at it.:thumbsup:

Im 6-2 and 270 pounds. Been going to the gym with a 12 pound weight loss in 6 weeks. Im wanting to change my diet and maybe find some motivation in books or something. I get bored with the rower and eliptical and need some advice on how you guys keep it exciting. We started racing here again and that helps cause it lets me know how bad of shape Im in. Any advice is welcome.

Find a partner to workout with and you'll be amazed how qiuck the time goes. Try to find someone who has a decent workout plan already and someone who can motivate you, and you will really start to see results. Good luck!

If fat loss is the goal then your diet will be 80% of your results. DON'T starve yourself:naughty: . I have found that six small meals a day would be much better that than three large meals. Take in the right amount of protien but watch those carbs. You do need some for sustained energy and brain function but too many will result in an insulin spike and fat storage. At you weight running is not good for the knees. Focus on light weights with high reps and keep your rest in between sets to no more than 30 seconds. As for cardio, the eliptical is a good, but I see too many dudes act like their running a damn sprint on the thing. If you want to loose that fat keep your heart rate at about 120-135 beats per minute. This will help you loose the fat and keep some muscle while raising your metobolic rate in which you burn fat even after excercise. If a pool is available then swimming is a great excercise also. Just don't be discouraged it takes some time to build up that endurance in the pool. That's the basics. If you follow them and are honest with yourself about your effort then you will see real results in as little as 3-6 weeks. Given more time and commitment you will be 6'2 220lbs by Oct-Nov. Good luck....:thumbsup:

Check out the book by Bill Phillips "Body For Life." It's hard work but once you get into it... I lost 50 lbs and have kept it off for five years. Basically, food is fuel. Put in crappy fuel and your body runs crappy.

Thanks for the input. Really good stuff on here. Gosh, 6-2 and 220, that would be awesome. Maybe I could stop getting waxed in Junior 25 +!!