06' DR650 Black Plastic Chainguard-Do I Need It???

Hi . I have the 06' DR650. I just put on the DID Xring Premium gold chain and the 14t/45t sprockets. It is at the shop today and i pick it up 2morro. I want to show off the chain and take off the Black plastic guard that is mounted above the chain. Would this be ok or would you advise against it and why. Thank you ?

I too am interested in opinions on this. My 99 does not have it installed, and I never noticed any ill effects. This bike does almost all street miles and I cant see anything getting caught in the chain during my normal riding conditions. However I would be hesitant to ride offroad much with it missing.

Mine fell off, and I replaced it. I didn't have any issues while it was gone. If I had soft saddlebags, I would want it there for sure. I think another function is to keep chain lube from getting flung onto the bike or you.

If you ride a lot in the mud, you might want to remove it, as it can get clogged...

• Like 1

If you do any riding in mud keep it on. Otherwise the tire will deposit mud right on top of the chain which will transport it down to the countershaft sprocket. The inside of the countershaft cover will completely pack up with mud ruining the seal.

I broke mine yesterday, tried to super glue it, however I think I'll have to replace it. Where can I find a replacement? Are there better after market replacements out there?

Thanks for any help.

If you do any riding in mud keep it on. Otherwise the tire will deposit mud right on top of the chain which will transport it down to the countershaft sprocket. The inside of the countershaft cover will completely pack up with mud ruining the seal.

I stand corrected... I posted what someone told me once. I don't ride in the mud, myself...

I don't know of any after market stuff but here's where you can find one.

http://fiche.ronayers.com/Index.cfm/Module/Main/TypeID/26/Type/Motorcycle/MakeID/2/Make/Suzuki/YearID/37/Year/1996/ModelID/7040/Model/DR650SE/GroupID/303921/Group/REAR_SWINGING_ARM

I broke mine yesterday, tried to super glue it, however I think I'll have to replace it. Where can I find replacement? Are there better after market replacements out there?

Thanks for any help.

The only real reason i can see for keeping the guard is if you carry a passenger, nice for her if the guard is there in case the chain would snap. Even though i'v never heard of it happening on a bike.

In sweden the guard is mandatory if the bike has passenger pegs, otherwise it's no need.