Sign in to follow this  

Just found the perfect bottle for coolant overflow. (Energy drink, but not monster)

As I was drinking a NOS energy drink for the first time, I looked over at the bottle and realized that it is the perfect size for a coolant overflow to fit my KX250F. The Kawi's are engineered so that it's almost impossible to cram anything else into their already tight spaces. I bought a Motion Pro coolant recovery bottle/system and I couldn't fit it anywhere on my bike.

Here is the bottle i'm talking about (on right of picture):

Nos.JPG

This bottle is approximately 2 inches wide by 8 inches tall. The plastic is very thick also. Perfect.

I just need some advice on what type of hardware/items to use to create a perfect seal for the coolant to be happy. I already have some hose that will work.

Thanks.

• Like 1

you could mabey just get a lighter and melt the cap to the bottle, that woud make one hell of a seal.

just put some glue on the cap with a good rubber washer and throw it all together the seal is already tight

You don't want a perfect seal. The bottle has to breath as the coolant flows in and out. Drill a hole in the cap that the tubing fits tight in so it can't bounce out and drill a small breather hole. It can be really small 1/8" or so.

How about the bottom of the bottle? I would have to run a tube from there too, so that the coolant would return to the radiators. I was thinking about drilling a hole in the cap to insert the top tube, and then sealing that up somehow. I'm not too worried about the top part.

Plus it would be pretty dang funny to see a Nos bottle on dirt bike. Although i'd probably want to mount it behind the radiator, and also behind the radiator shroud, so it wouldn't be all that visible if you weren't looking for it.

I just had the idea to invert the bottle, so that the coolant would run down and be directed into the tube, rather than sitting at the bottom of the bottle and having some wasted coolant.

Run the tube through the cap to the bottom of the bottle. I guess I should have mentioned that.

Cool idea bro: What you want to do is go to home depot and go to the sprinlker dept. They have these fitting used for planter bed watering. Drill a hole in the top and the bottom and glue the fitting in both ends. Hook the overflow tube from the rad to the bottom of the bottle and then run a little bit of clear tubing off the top fitting. This is in case you have a major boil over and it fills the bottle it will squirt to the ground. Also it better keeps dirt out of your bottle.

Here are some pics of how I did it on my Honda with a turkey baster:

Overflow002.jpg

Overflow001.jpg

Here's how another guy did it. You can see his better, but my placement is better:

puketank.jpg

Good bottle selection, that one should work great. The bottle needs to vent. On mine I drilled a hole in the cap the OD of the hose, cut the bottom of the hose on an angle, put the hose through the hole until it hits the bottom and used a tywrap around the hose, above and below the cap hole, to retain it. It's been on there for 5 years now. I use an armorall bottle with a different cap and painted it black. Hope this helps. Cam.

I still need some concrete ideas on how to pull this off. My brother and I have been trying to think of perfect bottles for a few weeks now, so now that I think i might have one, we need to test it out.

As I was drinking a NOS energy drink for the first time, I looked over at the bottle and realized that it is the perfect size for a coolant overflow to fit my KX250F. The Kawi's are engineered so that it's almost impossible to cram anything else into their already tight spaces. I bought a Motion Pro coolant recovery bottle/system and I couldn't fit it anywhere on my bike.

Here is the bottle i'm talking about (on right of picture):

Nos.JPG

This bottle is approximately 2 inches wide by 8 inches tall. The plastic is very thick also. Perfect.

I just need some advice on what type of hardware/items to use to create a perfect seal for the coolant to be happy. I already have some hose that will work.

Thanks.

DAMN YOU! I WAS GONNA DO THAT!!!!!!!! hahahha just kidding! Good on ya!

whats the point of the the coolant over flow bottle anyway, i know it is to catch the coolant that come out when it boils over, but some bikes have them and some dont, whats up with that. my crf250r dont have one.

Those of us that ride the woods sometimes get bogged down in the mudholes, tight technical sections, and such. We can't always keep the bikes moving fast enought to get enough airflow throught the radiators causing the machines to overheat and blow out some coolant.

Ok I dont have any advise for the coolant overflow but i was wondering if that energy drink tasted good:excuseme: . Please dont flame me for this lol.

Every drop of coolant is important in a four stroke. If you lose too much coolant due to overheating, then it's very possible to blow the bike up and cost you a lot of money. Why not recycle the overflowed coolant to insure that you're bike cools down as fast as possible after it gets very very hot? The X models are trail specified from the factory, so they know how important it is. The R models, such as motocross bikes are not built exactly to race in the woods, so some of the extra parts/weight are not put on the bike. The motocross bikes get more airflow when they are on the track as opposed to a trail bike on a trail.

whats the point of the the coolant over flow bottle anyway, i know it is to catch the coolant that come out when it boils over, but some bikes have them and some dont, whats up with that. my crf250r dont have one.

what tjasb said, and that alot of SM and/or street legal bikes can't be dripping coolant all over the road/track. Especially the SM guys, you don't want that slick coolant all over the track:eek:

Ok I dont have any advise for the coolant overflow but i was wondering if that energy drink tasted good:excuseme: . Please dont flame me for this lol.

Haha, not going to flame you. I love energy drinks even though they have so much freaking sugar. It tasted alright, nothing extraordinary. I like the Java Monsters (coffee flavored) and some BooKoo flavors a lot.

Every drop of coolant is important in a four stroke. If you lose too much coolant due to overheating, then it's very possible to blow the bike up and cost you a lot of money. Why not recycle the overflowed coolant to insure that you're bike cools down as fast as possible after it gets very very hot? The X models are trail specified from the factory, so they know how important it is. The R models, such as motocross bikes are not built exactly to race in the woods, so some of the extra parts/weight are not put on the bike. The motocross bikes get more airflow when they are on the track as opposed to a trail bike on a trail.

thats what i thought, now i know for sure:thumbsup:

i think nos tastes like ass, same goes for the java monsters :thumbsup:

I guess you have to put a "t" off the top radiator hose?

I dont have an outlet on my radiator, so no where to put a hose for an overflow. SO is the T the anwser?

NO! You can't cut into the hose. You will no longer have a pressurized system.

What kind of bike you have. You sure there's no tube on the radiator neck you can put a hose on?

I'm not sure what kind of bike he has, but I'd imagine it's a yamaha. I have a 2006 KX250F, and it has an overflow outlet. I didn't think that any radiators didn't??