xr250r put to much oil in

hello all,

done an oil and filter change in me xr250. just wanted to know what symptoms i would get if i have put to much oil in?

I have put 1.8 liters in her. the oil level after letting it idle is on the upper paat of the dipstick and not over it....will putting this much in upset my bike?

You should have an oil check bolt on either side of the cases,let it warm up idling for about 45 seconds shut it off and take out the bolt oil should drain out and you will have just the right amount.

but sureley iff i have put to much in oil will drain out anyway!

How much too much did you put in?

What year is your XR250? The engine changed in 1996.

Too much oil will over pressure the cases.

Also, the bike will smoke.

A couple of Oz or a few cc is no big deal.

The shop put in an extra quart after rebuilding the top end. :thumbsup:

==EDIT==

Just read that the oil level was on the top mark of the dipstick. This should be totally fine as long as your 100% that it's ON or below the mark and not above.

If you are then there's nothing to worry about.

========

Yeah definately get it drained out to the correct level or you'll be blowing your oil seals. :thumbsup:

If you've just filled it up then you could probably just drain it all out into a container then measure it up again and put it back.

I'm not sure if there's any truth behind this but i read that you cant just let it idle then check the dipstick.

I was under the impression that the bike actually had to be RUN warm I.E - taken round the block once or twice, THEN left to idle for 3 mins then stand the bike UPRIGHT with engine off for a couple of mins then check the oil....

Deepsky, you can let the bike idle or ride it, I prefer to ride. It just needs to be warmed up. You should not let the bike set for a couple minutes after shutting it off. Check the oil right away or it will drain back down to the sump. Upright is correct.

Deepsky, you can let the bike idle or ride it, I prefer to ride. It just needs to be warmed up. You should not let the bike set for a couple minutes after shutting it off. Check the oil right away or it will drain back down to the sump. Upright is correct.

Dont you want to measure the oil in the sump? Isnt that the point of the dipstick? :thumbsup:

I'm not sure if there's any truth behind this but i read that you cant just let it idle then check the dipstick.

I was under the impression that the bike actually had to be RUN warm I.E - taken round the block once or twice, THEN left to idle for 3 mins then stand the bike UPRIGHT with engine off for a couple of mins then check the oil....

XR400's will not read correctly using the Honda directions to let it idle for a few minutes. I have to do a lap or two around my Suburban. Until the gearbox moves, it always reads low. This probably why the shop that put in new rings, also put in 3 quarts of oil.

The absolute best way to check your oil.

Change the oil, put in the correct amount per manual.

Experiment with checking the oil.

You know it should read full. See what needs to be done.

I over filled twice in my life. The first time my XL175 shot out my shift shaft seal and gushed oil everywhere. I was changing the oil in 5 bikes in an hour and forgot to drain the 175, just refiled it. (Stupid me)

The second time I realized it before I started and used a clean turkey baster to suck out the oil through the dip stick hole.

I agree with Kev_XR, at oil changes I just put in the correct amount and then check to see that its right.

Hmm that's lame. why would they tell you to do something in the manual which could potentially harm your machine!!!

thats a definate:thumbsdn:

I have put 1.8 liters in her.

Just for future reference a xr 250L & R with a filter change sould take 1.4 Litres (1.5 US Qt)

The XR400's with a filter should take 1.8 litres (1.9 US Qt)

(These are for 89 through to 03)

:thumbsup:

So yeah, your .4 Litres over. Definately need to drain that out otherwise you'll be blowing your seals.