Swingarm

Ok so I took apart my rear end. I have the linkage and swingarm off. But I have a question. Inside the swingarm, there are two pieces of tubing(sorry don't know the term) That are basically the inner races that can be slid out. Well on the outside part they are rusted, what should I do buy new ones or are they fine because the part that is rusted doesn't make contact with any part of the bearings. thanks:thumbsup:

heres the pics,

The tubing things after cleaned with parts cleaner:bearings001.jpg

And the swingarm BEFORE cleaning:bearings003.jpg

bearings005.jpg

They should be OK. If you want you can clean them up with a high grit sand paper and parts cleaner, 400 or higher.

Where it is rusted isn't where the bearing rides. You can see the shiny parts that have some wear on them, thats where the bearing rides. So just clean them up as good as you can, then load it with grease.

Its fine, you are going to get some rust on the ends, because that part is not inside the seal. It won't hurt anything. Coat the entire surface with grease before assembly, and that may slow the surface rust down a little, for a few pressure washes anyway.

thanks guys. And also . How exactly do I go about getting all the grease already in there out?

I forgot what kind of bearing we are doing here.

Just pull the collars off the ends, then blast brake cleaner in there, and wipe around, and rotate paper towels inside. Repeat until the needles appear clean. Let all the cleaner evaporate thoroughly, then apply new grease.

Remove the needles by magnet, or blast inside with brake cleaner to remove some of the grease, then pull them out. Once they are all out, clean the inside with more brake cleaner, a brush, and paper towels. Put the needles in a bowl and brake cleaner, roll them around between some paper towels. Once everything is dry, dab fresh grease on a couple needles at a time, insert them back in the bearing, then slather as much grease as you can, working them around, and slide in the spacer. Make sure you have a clean, uncluttered area to work, so if you drop a needle, you can find it. Its a good idea to count them as they come out and make sure they all get back in. You don't want to lose one! Good luck!

Ive heard you cannot remove the bearings from the swingarm without a press. Is this true?

Ive heard you cannot remove the bearings from the swingarm without a press. Is this true?

Yes, ignore that post, I edited it. I was thinking about the linkage bearings :thumbsup: Sorry about that, and yes, they have to be pressed out.

Yes, ignore that post, I edited it. I was thinking about the linkage bearings :thumbsup: Sorry about that, and yes, they have to be pressed out.

alright thanks.:thumbsup:

2 more questions.:thumbsup:

Well how exactly do those seals come out? They dont seem to want to budge. I tried picking at them with a small flathead but am afraid of riping through them.

And idiotically I forgot which side the longer and short tubes go in. I think the longer one is on the break side but not 100%. thanks again

Sorry, bad choice of words by me. I would leave the seals in place, if you are just cleaning the bearings. Don't risk damaging them. I guess I meant to say, remove the collars. And off hand, I don't remember which side the longer one goes on. You should be able to look at the top of the swingarm and determine that. Besides, it will only bolt up one way...if you get them in the wrong sides, it won't go!

Sorry, bad choice of words by me. I would leave the seals in place, if you are just cleaning the bearings. Don't risk damaging them. I guess I meant to say, remove the collars. And off hand, I don't remember which side the longer one goes on. You should be able to look at the top of the swingarm and determine that. Besides, it will only bolt up one way...if you get them in the wrong sides, it won't go!

Ok alrighty.