Sign in to follow this  

Broken kick starter (check yours)

Just asking you guys to go out and check your kickstarter levers.

I broke mine off near at the pivot last week while prepping for my clubs 100 mile desert race in over her in WA state. The upper lever part at the juntion cracked from the retaining bolt down. So I brought it into a little farming town and had them weld it up (at a farm equipment garage). Oh I also had them add/fill in where the lever conects with the foot peg as it had chewed a "V" there pretty good.

Lever lasted 2 more days of lots of restarting and then broke clean off where the crack was. Luckily I was refueling my bike and back at camp ready to go out on another lap sweep riding when it happened.

Just wanted you guys to go out and check your starters as loosing it all together like I did would suck if I was on a long trail ride.

This is my second kickstarter I have worn out. :thumbsup: I kick it to hard. The swivel stop also gets warnout and the lever starts to hang up between the foot peg and the frame.

Pic from Sat about 30 miles before the kickstart sheared off. Braap!

l_f4edd5ee01d44eedee3108dd20476f23.jpg

oooh snaps would never have guessed that 1 hahaha :thumbsup: thats a good trick bro. does it work well?

oooh snaps would never have guessed that 1 hahaha :thumbsup: thats a good trick bro. does it work well?
It was kinda hokey but it performed as one would exptect a section of inner tube ziptied to the end of an muffler would. :thumbsup:

Front tube was to small so I used an old rear 19" tube.

People were talking about that Suzuki with the flopping tube on the muffler. :confused: They didn't know it was me...they fixated on the tube so much they didn't pay attention to me. lol I am not a std size rider...

Rhino

I am not a std size rider...

Bro trust me im in the same boat being 6ft 1in and going back and forth from 260 to 270 all the time lol so i totally know what you mean. :thumbsup: Go big boys :thumbsup: hahaha

i have noticed that my kick starter is loose where the lever arm rotates on the steel mount/pivot thing. the foot peg is also rubbing away at the lever like you said.

i have noticed that my kick starter is loose where the lever arm rotates on the steel mount/pivot thing. the foot peg is also rubbing away at the lever like you said.
$117.99 plus tax for a new kickstarter....

I have placed a radiator hose over the section that contacts the foot peg. I will see how long that lasts.

The "stop" that the lever comes against when rotated out can get worn/hammered down. That allows it to swing in between the peg and frame. It is not a lot of material. I bet if it was welded ot built up somehow that would stop a lof ot wear half way up the lever.

I had the chewed up portion welded and it seemed to be OK. If you don't want to chance welding aluminum try thick rubber or radiator hose over the part getting chewed up to halt additional wear.

Just trying to save another $130 expense if not needed. :thumbsup:

A couple of things may help you:

Try rotating the assembly forward, so the gears engage sooner.

Don't do a full leg extension when you kick it. All it should take is a short stab to spin the engine. If you're having to kick away long and hard you may want to check your compression.

I've seen a broken kicker once before, but it was a result of the operator slamming the lever into the foot peg.

The trick to starting any 250 is quickness ~ not force.

A couple of things may help you:

Try rotating the assembly forward, so the gears engage sooner.

Don't do a full leg extension when you kick it. All it should take is a short stab to spin the engine. If you're having to kick away long and hard you may want to check your compression.

It is already laying against the pipe when retracted.

In my opinion, the 04 has a design problem with its kick starter. On most bikes it feels like you can get about 1.5 – 2 engine revolutions per kick. On the 04 RM (and maybe other years?) you only get about ¾ of a revolution out of the engine before the kick lever hits the footpeg.

In my opinion, the 04 has a design problem with its kick starter. On most bikes it feels like you can get about 1.5 – 2 engine revolutions per kick. On the 04 RM (and maybe other years?) you only get about ¾ of a revolution out of the engine before the kick lever hits the footpeg.

This is another reason why you use a "quick stab" technique, instead of brute force. If your hammering the lever into the foot peg, your not doing it right. Yes, I sometimes hit the peg, but I also own a 1981 RM-250 and it has the orginal kicker.

Just push through the kicker a couple times, once you find the point where your starting to ramp up in compression, back off and get the kicker to it's highest engagement point, and then "stab it!"

This is how I start every bike I own, and even a borrowed KX-250 and KX-500. As well as a RM-465 and a couple of vintage Can-Am's.

Just find compression, get the kicker to the top, and stab it.

Works every time.

Take the kickstarter apart (at the pivot) and grease ocassionally. Or at least spray lube it after washing.......(push kickstarter down to peg and hold there while spraying some lube at pivot, hold for a little bit to let it soak in.) While you're at it spray your pivots at pegs and shifter too.

Yep, I take mine apart periodically and regrease it. Just be careful taking it apart: there's a spring and a ball inside and the ball likes to go flying.

For those with the kicker laying against the pipe, the stop on the pivot is probably worn. A little dab of JB Weld to build up the the stop will keep the kicker from rattling on the pipe.