Sign in to follow this  

The Desert Superiority of the YZ 250 2t

Did the annual Desert 100 race here in WA state this last weekend... Ill just say that my bike performed flawlessly, for the most part.. Top ten on the bomb start out of several hundred riders and seventh overall after the first 50 mile lap... :confused:

Went back out and only about five to ten miles in, me, or my bike, made a mistake and ended up testing my helmet in a rock garden.. Good news, the helmet worked but I busted my arm in two spots and gashed er open pretty good.. Only 40 miles to go, I can do it..

Me an my busted YZ finished the remaining 40 miles with a flat rear, bent pro tapers, a bleeding broken arm and a concussion... The YZ did all the work as I kept asking what lap I was on.. :ride: Couldnt even count to two after the dinger I took... :ride:

The top four bikes in the 250 cc (open ability) were all YZ 250 two strokes.. Mine being the fourth one of over 85 entries in the 250 class alone..

:thumbsup: Long live the YZ 250 :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Got nuthin but praise for ya:applause: I am hoping that my YZ will assist my sorry arse in the Dez too...........not likely but it's worth a shot:excuseme: I just gotta get used to riding a real bike again after 4 years on a CRF 250X.

Good job! :thumbsup::thumbsup: I hope you heal up soon, without any unnecessary difficulties.

There's no way the yz 250 would keep up with my wr450 in the open spaces and climbing hills.

BUT... at the half way point in the race, I'd be so damn tired, I would have to pull over and rest for 10 minutes. At that point, all the yz250's would pass me up and keep going. I'd never see them again.

So now I am on a lighter bike and plan on doing a lot better.

Did the annual Desert 100 race here in WA state this last weekend... Ill just say that my bike performed flawlessly, for the most part.. Top ten on the bomb start out of several hundred riders and seventh overall after the first 50 mile lap... :confused:

Went back out and only about five to ten miles in, me, or my bike, made a mistake and ended up testing my helmet in a rock garden.. Good news, the helmet worked but I busted my arm in two spots and gashed er open pretty good.. Only 40 miles to go, I can do it..

Me an my busted YZ finished the remaining 40 miles with a flat rear, bent pro tapers, a bleeding broken arm and a concussion... The YZ did all the work as I kept asking what lap I was on.. :ride: Couldnt even count to two after the dinger I took... :ride:

The top four bikes in the 250 cc (open ability) were all YZ 250 two strokes.. Mine being the fourth one of over 85 entries in the 250 class alone..

:thumbsup: Long live the YZ 250 :thumbsup:

Hero status in my books, well done bikedude, heal quickly.

Hey bikedude how the hell do you even ride like that, what type of training do you do? I rode the ironman and have raced the dez100 in the past but my hands could never hold on. They would just hurt so bad I could not grab the clutch or brake. You were absolutely flying when I seen you, and I think you were around 5-6th place out of 780 off of the start. Good job man, sorry to hear about the wreck I hope you heal up fast.

Hey bikedude how the hell do you even ride like that, what type of training do you do? I rode the ironman and have raced the dez100 in the past but my hands could never hold on. They would just hurt so bad I could not grab the clutch or brake. You were absolutely flying when I seen you, and I think you were around 5-6th place out of 780 off of the start. Good job man, sorry to hear about the wreck I hope you heal up fast.

Thanks again for the compliment... :ride:

SEAT TIME :thumbsup: The most important thing is seat time.. The more you ride, the more familiar you will be with your machine, and obviously the better shape you'll be in.. I try to ride at a minimum of once a week.. If at all possible, (very common in summer) to ride three or four times a week.. This is all done in the evenings and weekends :thumbsup:

SET-UP :D Its no lie that Ive spent nearly all my ride time in the last six months or so, setting up for THIS RACE.. Suspension is key.. I like to run soft compression settings and fast rebound for this type of terrain to keep my tires on the ground.. And have found that stiffer springs help the bike carry through the gnar gnar very well and still provide bottoming resistance for the "OH SHIV" situations...

DIET :confused: The foods you eat and the things you drink are very important, especially the days leading up to an event.. I try to really cut back on a few things for about a week prior.. Things like, caffeine, alcohol, sugars, drugs, (if that pertains to you) etc And really load my days with fruits, veggies and carbs and LOTS OF WATER.. You cant hydrate the day of, you need to drink water before :ride: BANANAS.. Eat bananas the day of.. Loaded with Vit B and potassium... MMMMMM

Some people thinks its funny, but I have a grip exerciser that I use when I drive.. Just two handles on a spring and you squeeze it.. Pretty simple but will help with the arm pump...

Last but not least, it really helps to hit your head a few times a year.. Helps you realize the voice of reason is only for adults, not 27 year olds.... :D

Congratulations bike dude!!!!

You're the man!!! I should've raced that race just to see the thumpers looks on their faces when you scream past them. "Gotta have a 450 to do the Dez 100".

You kicked A$$ and on a crippled arm no less.:thumbsup::confused::thumbsup:

• Like 1

Thanks for the info, but I'm only 23!

The fear and reality dont set in until you're about 25 and a half :confused: After that, you have to trick your brain into thinkin you can still go fast and/or crash without injury... :thumbsup:

My brain will need some more training after this weekend :thumbsup:

Bikedude.... What pressure did you run in your tires? I was told to run alot so I had them at 20 psi and still got a flat before the first check point.

I had to reread a few times to get it through my wooden head that you actually broke your arm and kept going. Holy :thumbsup: , Batman.

The fear and reality dont set in until you're about 25 and a half :ride: After that, you have to trick your brain into thinkin you can still go fast and/or crash without injury... :thumbsup:

My brain will need some more training after this weekend :thumbsup:

Try that when your 40+:confused:

I thought two strokes were obsolete? :D

Cool post and bike bikedude! :thumbsup:

ME TOO! HAHA! :D

darn 4-joke age!! :ride:

Long-live is the BEST 250 2T in the Planet!!! --- The (Bruce) Almighty YZ250 :thumbsup::confused:

...and Long-live BIKEDUDE, the GREATEST desert pilot EVER haha! :ride:

I ran 16 front and rear with a 20" front and an 18" rear.. Thought Id be flat proof :cheers: Oh well.. MOOSE BIBS next time :thumbsup:

I had to reread a few times to get it through my wooden head that you actually broke your arm and kept going. Holy :ride: , Batman.

Im not that tough.. I didnt know it was broke, just knew I was bleeding.. All I could think about was following pink ribbons :cheers: I didnt want to give up such a great run.. I was very surprised to be running so well actually.. My best finish was a 24 O/A and to be running 7 had me buzzin on adrenaline.. Stopping never crossed my mind Sunday

Try that when your 40+:lol:

NO :D

ME TOO! HAHA! :lol:

darn 4-joke age!! :banana:

Long-live is the BEST 250 2T in the Planet!!! --- The (Bruce) Almighty YZ250 :confused::ride:

...and Long-live BIKEDUDE, the GREATEST desert pilot EVER haha! :D

Actually, there are these guys that are way faster than I.. :lol: Kevin Parks, the O/A champ three years running, has beat me by an average of 45 minutes over those years.. I dont even know where to begin on making up that kind of time... Maybe I need a KTM 450 :thumbsup:

NEVER :lol:

Im not that tough.. I didnt know it was broke, just knew I was bleeding.. All I could think about was following pink ribbons :thumbsup: I didnt want to give up such a great run.. I was very surprised to be running so well actually.. My best finish was a 24 O/A and to be running 7 had me buzzin on adrenaline.. Stopping never crossed my mind Sunday

The fact that you didn't notice says something about toughness man. Glad that's all you busted by the way.