Sign in to follow this  

how often to do weights

I curious about how often to do weights a week, say a full body workout with mostly compound moves. I'm going for strength, not big muscles (I'm a girl anyway), but not superman, just a good base to throw my wr around. I've just seen in a bunch of different threads either working the whole body (at some point) 1, 2, or 3x a week.

I currently do 3x a week(upper body and core, just added weighted lunges/squats), would it be better for strength to go 2x? I'm not lifting big weights(since I'm doing it at home alone), and I use free weights. I just upped the weights and doing basically 3x8 (I had worked up to 3x12+ before adding weight). Anyways, just wondering if less x's a week would be more beneficial.

thanks!

You can benefit from strength training with just two days a week. Squats, dead lifts, etc. Some would argue only one day per week is needed.

If you have the time then 3 days a week would be optimal. Split routines between upper and lower body could be combined with core/abs. That would give the larger muscle groups (Back/Legs) time to recover. Don't fear the free weights or be concerned with getting muscle bound. That in itself is very tough for women without the help of testosterone. Keep the reps higher than 8-10 go for 13-20 and your rest periods should be only 30 seconds long. This will help with any indurance issue you may have. Lunges, deadlifts(DONE WITH STRICT FORM!!) low rows, squats and incline for chest are the basics. Stay consistant and you will be smoking your class Moto after moto in no time:thumbsup:

Two or three max a week. I try to split mine up between upper and lower body, but my schedule usually interferes and I end up doing the whole bod thing instead.

Figure out what you need to focus on and well, focus on that.

• Like 1

I like to split by body part, but I probably have different goals. I would do three days and put your leg day in the middle, to give your upper body more rest. You could either do a whole upper body workout or split it into pushing and pulling movements (bench presses, shoulder presses, triceps vs. back excercises and biceps). Either way just remember form and consistancy! Don't sacrifice form for weight. Good luck.

If you have the time then 3 days a week would be optimal. Split routines between upper and lower body could be combined with core/abs. That would give the larger muscle groups (Back/Legs) time to recover. Don't fear the free weights or be concerned with getting muscle bound. That in itself is very tough for women without the help of testosterone. Keep the reps higher than 8-10 go for 13-20 and your rest periods should be only 30 seconds long. This will help with any indurance issue you may have. Lunges, deadlifts(DONE WITH STRICT FORM!!) low rows, squats and incline for chest are the basics. Stay consistant and you will be smoking your class Moto after moto in no time:thumbsup:

Mate .... this is a really good post ^^^^^^ !!!!!!!

Here's some info I just sent to a guy who PM'd me ....... I couldn't be bothered editing it ... LOL ....

For big upper body size/strength you must do leg work first in every workout ..... as the legs being the largest muscles stimulate the greatest hormonal activity/changes and energy supply response that allows you to use heavier weights for upper body exercises .....

Cycle your training ..... there are three physical phases that need to be worked .... the aerobic phase = higher reps (12 to 15) ... the lactic acid phase (8 to 12 reps) .... and the phospho-creatine phase (4 to 8 reps) .... so during a workout you can use the 10-8-6-15 reps routine to work all 3 cycles ......

Use that along with the "scientific" full body routine for excellent results ie do calves first because the blood is down there from walking around .

1) Warm up with 2 sets of light weight for 15 reps before every body part ..... then do 1 x 10 - 1 x 8- 1 x 6 - 1 x 15 .... use enough weight so that that's the max reps you can do with it per set ... use minimal rest between sets and gradually reduce the amount of time between sets in follow up workouts ... make the last set a burnout to total failure within the 15 reps .... when you can use the weights for the described reps with near zero rest between sets ... step the weights up and increase the rest time then gradually lower the rest time between sets in follow up workouts until you need to up the weights again and continue the cycle .....

The scientific routine is :

1) calf raises

2) squats

3) bent over rows

4) wide grip lat pulls

5) bench presses

6) shoulder shrugs

7) upright rows

8) triceps extensions

9) barbell curls

10) forearm curls

11) ab crunches or sit ups

The above routine should give you the look of a well built symmetrical sprinter depending on your natural physique ..... along with excellent fitness and endurance ... People I've trained using that routine made excellent changes in 2 weeks flat ......

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

All you do is remove the exercises you don't want to do and stop increasing the weights used when you get to the fitness and shape you're happy with .....

Don't worry about building up like a man .... it simply won't happen ..... my first missus trained using that routine ...... (even right up until she gave birth and the doctors and nurses said it was fantastic that she stayed in excellent overall shape ...)

• Like 1

thanks for all the great info, I'll put it all into the hopper. Looks like I'll have to buy a few more dumbells, or improvise(bowling ball, maul, bucket of rocks...). I'm using a set of free weights at home (not at a gym with the whole line up)---I have 100# (straight bar)barbell (I do the standing up part of a deadlift with that), a 40# (zigzag kinda bar)barbell, two 12# dumbells, and 2#5 dumbells, and one #8, also the pushup handles(girly pushups and planks) and 2 more 25# plates. So that's what I have to work with.

So bringing it back to the motorcycle...my main issue(of course) was upper body, mostly my hands would get very tired. I wanted to be able to pick up my bike faster and easier too. I got to ride it a little a few weeks ago around the road(it's like a logging road), and my bike felt a lot lighter, like my old ttr125l even. I can't wait to ride it for real(waiting on parts). Every little bit you do to get in better shape really shows up when you ride!!!!

Thanks again for your replies, they really help me understand better!

PS, I also work very hard at having my upper body relaxed on the bike and not having a death grip(which really helps on overall technique anyways), I guess I'm just trying to say that I've really found that when you combine better strength with working on better technique, having more strength makes the better technique easier, more natural to come by. Quite worth the work!

LOL ....... The scientific routine IS a home training routine ..... You can find ways to improvise .... You've got an EZ-Curl bar (cambered curling bar) which is great for taking stress off your wrists .... plus your other equipment is OK too ... I still have the same things myself for home training ... Removing and replacing weights is a bit of a PITA ..... But you can buy cheap spring collets to make it less of a hassle .... to be fit and strong means to not take the easy way out in everything you do ......

With your push up handles you can do varying width decline push ups with your feet up on a chair ..... you can do bodyweight dips in the corner of railings or kitchen benches ...... you can do triceps extensions holding onto a railing or kitchen bench and bending your arms to let your triceps do all the work ..... if you have a strong clothes line you can do chins (lat pulls) or you can buy one of those el cheapo chin bars that you jam in a doorway .... you can do donkey calf raises using a kitchen bench or strong table to lean on and stacking a few heavy weights to form a lift block or make one out of wood ..... then eventually get strong enough to be able to get your hubby to sit on your back while you do the raises ........ You can do bodyweight squats by holding onto a railing while you do the knee bends ..... that way you can adjust your foot positions for variance or you can do them with your back against a wall ...... and even do one legged squats after a while ..... I can do free standing squats in sets of 10 reps with one leg at a time .......

At 18 I was bench pressing 292 lbs for 8 reps at a bodyweight of 130 lbs ... I worked out at home and used a plank of wood between 2 chairs as a bench and towels for a cushion ... I had no racks or training partner ..... I simply picked the weight up and laid back with it from the very start ..... I could train to total failure safely that way and still lift the weight off myself ....... my abs and other core muscles were like granite from the heavy 1 rep sit ups .... LOL ...

Later on at gyms I still lifted the weight off the floor and laid back onto the bench with it much to everyone's disbelief ......

Mate .... this is a really good post ^^^^^^ !!!!!!!

Here's some info I just sent to a guy who PM'd me ....... I couldn't be bothered editing it ... LOL ....

For big upper body size/strength you must do leg work first in every workout ..... as the legs being the largest muscles stimulate the greatest hormonal activity/changes and energy supply response that allows you to use heavier weights for upper body exercises .....

Cycle your training ..... there are three physical phases that need to be worked .... the aerobic phase = higher reps (12 to 15) ... the lactic acid phase (8 to 12 reps) .... and the phospho-creatine phase (4 to 8 reps) .... so during a workout you can use the 10-8-6-15 reps routine to work all 3 cycles ......

Use that along with the "scientific" full body routine for excellent results ie do calves first because the blood is down there from walking around .

1) Warm up with 2 sets of light weight for 15 reps before every body part ..... then do 1 x 10 - 1 x 8- 1 x 6 - 1 x 15 .... use enough weight so that that's the max reps you can do with it per set ... use minimal rest between sets and gradually reduce the amount of time between sets in follow up workouts ... make the last set a burnout to total failure within the 15 reps .... when you can use the weights for the described reps with near zero rest between sets ... step the weights up and increase the rest time then gradually lower the rest time between sets in follow up workouts until you need to up the weights again and continue the cycle .....

The scientific routine is :

1) calf raises

2) squats

3) bent over rows

4) wide grip lat pulls

5) bench presses

6) shoulder shrugs

7) upright rows

8) triceps extensions

9) barbell curls

10) forearm curls

11) ab crunches or sit ups

The above routine should give you the look of a well built symmetrical sprinter depending on your natural physique ..... along with excellent fitness and endurance ... People I've trained using that routine made excellent changes in 2 weeks flat ......

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

All you do is remove the exercises you don't want to do and stop increasing the weights used when you get to the fitness and shape you're happy with .....

Don't worry about building up like a man .... it simply won't happen ..... my first missus trained using that routine ...... (even right up until she gave birth and the doctors and nurses said it was fantastic that she stayed in excellent overall shape ...)

this sounds like a great start for me or my wife.

just to clarify, you do all reps of each exercise then move on to the next, or do one rep of ech exercise and move on circuit style and come around doing the whole thing again til you are thru the phases as you described.......

Thanks..

Hi mate ...... you do all sets and reps of each exercise on it's own then move onto the next exercise or body part .... that's the key to it's effectiveness ....

The varying intensity is what causes the muscles to HAVE to alter to cope .... your physical shape will only alter to do what it CAN'T do .... not what it already can do .....

I've seen thousands of people plodding along in gyms doing the 3 to 5 sets x 10 reps thing and 2 years on they look exactly the same ... in fact some of them still don't even look like they've been working out regularly at all .....

Here are some wise words that were told by Larry Scott at his seminars ......

Go for the maximum pump and burn in the least amount of sets and reps ....... then STOP ... to keep on going is counter productive ... go for the most enduring burn for as long as you can stand it ..... that's what causes the body to respond to exercise .......

The 10-8-6-15 routine does exactly that ....... if you're getting maximum pump and burn when doing the sets and reps then you're doing it right and you'll start to see and feel real and genuine .... not to mention MOTIVATING improvements in your physique ...... There's nothing more boring or uninspiring than working out and seeing minimal or zero results ......

As you progress .... it takes longer and longer to reach the point of maximum pump and burn and that's PROOF that you're getting fitter ... as a result , when you ride bikes .... you don't cop arm pump or burning since the intensity of riding is lower than it is in your workouts ........

Hi mate ...... you do all sets and reps of each exercise on it's own then move onto the next exercise or body part .... that's the key to it's effectiveness ....

The varying intensity is what causes the muscles to HAVE to alter to cope .... your physical shape will only alter to do what it CAN'T do .... not what it already can do .....

I've seen thousands of people plodding along in gyms doing the 3 to 5 sets x 10 reps thing and 2 years on they look exactly the same ... in fact some of them still don't even look like they've been working out regularly at all .....

Here are some wise words that were told by Larry Scott at his seminars ......

Go for the maximum pump and burn in the least amount of sets and reps ....... then STOP ... to keep on going is counter productive ... go for the most enduring burn for as long as you can stand it ..... that's what causes the body to respond to exercise .......

The 10-8-6-15 routine does exactly that ....... if you're getting maximum pump and burn when doing the sets and reps then you're doing it right and you'll start to see and feel real and genuine .... not to mention MOTIVATING improvements in your physique ...... There's nothing more boring or uninspiring than working out and seeing minimal or zero results ......

As you progress .... it takes longer and longer to reach the point of maximum pump and burn and that's PROOF that you're getting fitter ... as a result , when you ride bikes .... you don't cop arm pump or burning since the intensity of riding is lower than it is in your workouts ........

Alright i did the first session, and well i loved it! i added in and subtracted a few things...i showed my wife, she starts tomorrow.

The best part is it is intense and doesnt take that long, and your hreat rate is up, no wasted time screwing around...

How many times a week? 3?

thanks!

OK, here is what I've been doing. When I can do 3x15 reps fairly easily I up the weight, usually by 5# because that's the combo of plates I have. When I up weight I try to get the first rep at 10 or 12, then decrease reps for each set. Every time I work out then I squeeze out more reps. This is what I'm at right now

warm up

lunges, 3x12

squats, 3x12 with 40#

dead lifts, 3x8 with 40#

half dead lift(just stand up, no lifting past hips) 3x6, 5, 4 with 100#

bent over rows, 3x12 with 40# barbell

upright row, 3x12 with 12# dumbells

flies, 3x10(on stomach on exercise ball in plank position with feet hooked under couch) with 5# dumbells

bench press, 3x12, 12, 10 with 40# barbell

push ups(half-a$$ girly knee pushups), 3x8

Standing bicep curl , 3x10, 8, 6 with 40# barbell

Tricep extentions, 3x 8, 6, 4, then 12 with one 12# dumbell(lay on ball, keep upper arms vertical) with 13# dumbells

hammer curls, 3x12 with 12# dumbells, also straddle exercise ball and squeeze with thighs with each rep.

Side dips with arms straight up holding 5# dumbells 3x12, alternate with deltoid stuff below

Deltoid front raises, 3x12 with 5#dumbells

deltoid raises to the side (at an angle a bit) 3 x12 with 5# dumbells.

Crunch with shoulder press, 3x12 with 5# dumbells, on ex. Ball.

Plank 3x count to 30

back extensions on ex. Ball, 3x12

I found some more core exercises and I'll be adding those. I also got some hand squeezers and do those while on the TM and I want to get a chin up bar.

I got to ride this last weekend, and I feel this has gotten me up to speed for strength. Except for the delts, which I've been going easy on because one shoulder is sore.

PS, I'm not exactly sure what the proper names are for moves, so don't laugh too hard :thumbsup: