Sign in to follow this  

cross threaded crankcase cover

i croos threaded the crankcase cover so i need to repair it so wats best. shall i tap it and use a bigger screw or use a heli coil (if so what size is it).

thx

i croos threaded the crankcase cover so i need to repair it so wats best. shall i tap it and use a bigger screw or use a heli coil (if so what size is it).

thx

Your best bet is to re-chase the threads and use a new bolt. What that means is to re-tap the threads. If the hole is too messed up and oversized, I would use Devcon and slightly fill in the hole and then re-tap it. I dont know if you can get Devcon in the UK, so you can try JB weld but I dont think its near as good as Devcon.

Do you have a pic of where the problem is? You may not be able to use an oversize bolt in some cases and that makes using a heli coil out of the question.

its right under where the kips rod comes out on the right Covered by a rubber cover.

Pretty much what Gary H said but I used a tooth pick to apply the paste into a smooth bore hole (covering the threads completely) and retapped with the proper tap. Using a bolt can cause problems unless you have a hardened grade 8 but even then, taps have flutes exit the excess debris (also good spot to add oil while tapping). If done properly and carefully, it will come out good as new. Be sure to take it slow, backing out and re-tapping frequently (I come out every 2 full turns I make with the tap and clean tap and hole). Hope this helps out.:thumbsup:

another trick is get ahold of some quicksteel or quickaluminum. spray your bolt down with WD40 (as a release agent), wrap it in quicksteel, and mash it into the hole. wait ten or twenty minutes and then turn the bolt out and let the quicksteel harden.