Sign in to follow this  

YZ in the woods

So - after the first couple of rides in the woods here are the first impressions of a someone fresh off the WR forum (been with the WRs since 2000).

1) Wow.

2) For someone like myself - not so fast and competitive the bling nice pipe is a waste of money. Four of us tested back to back 4 YZs - 08 with Yoshi, 08 YZ standard, 07 YZ with Acropovic and 07 standard on a twisty 400 meter uphill in the trees with some stones, some mud, roots (07 bikes each had around 100 hours). There and back 4 times. We are no professional testers of course but noticed no difference in the power on 4 bikes on that section. We noticed how hi or low the bikes were, different handlebar setup, damper, front forks' work, but nope - no pipe. Maybe its just us.

3) This is a ligtweight of a bike - the 12 kg of difference actually feels like 40! the bike is so light and easy to ride you get really surprised how easy you pass sections that got you out of wind on WR. You get tired less, ride longer section and do it laughing...

4) Did I say easy to ride? Some easier sections actually so easy they become boring! We found ourselves looking for twisitier, wetter sections, ascends etc - anything to get you up and working.... The bike does half of the work for you!

5) Front suspencion is actually half of the fun. It just carries you through and over anything that made good old WRs stumble jump and shake. Maybe its just coincidence but we noticed we have not yet had any front puncture on YZs! Normally its 4 or 5 of us on any given ride and someone on a WR would have a front flat every other ride.... I dont know...

6) Negatives. Hmmm - let me think.... No lights - hmmm - we do not get stuck and return early - and have the helmet lights... No button - hmmmm - YZ starts really easy (only in neutral though - tough to kick it in gear) Water crossings - have not experienced yet - but we all have breathers up there as a must and will test this in couple of coming spring events. Small tanks - two of us have larger IMS tanks so on one occasion they acted as refuellers for 2 other bikes at a 5 km-to-base mark...

7) And we have not yet increased the rear sprockets or flywheels that is supposed to increase the rideability in the woods....

8) Does this sound biased and prejudiced? Yes it does and I wish I keep this opinion as these rides brought new fun in riding the good old trails.

:thumbsup:

PS - hmm - on a sadder note - seems that your ass gets more beating with YZ though :confused: but not everyone will consider this a negative factor.... :thumbsup:

IMG_0811.JPG

IMG_0850.JPG

Viva YZ!

SDG makes a seat that has an extra inch of foam in it. It's a little softer and makes it easier to switch from a sitting to standing position. I think you'd like it.

SDG makes a seat that has an extra inch of foam in it. It's a little softer and makes it easier to switch from a sitting to standing position. I think you'd like it.

Nah - not a short guy like me :thumbsup: thanks anyway... I ve been thinking of ways to lower it actually :thumbsup:

I use to ride a 2007 WR450F, now I have a 08 YZ450F, been riding it for the last 6 months, I'll never go back, this is the best bike ever

I use to ride a 2007 WR450F, now I have a 08 YZ450F, been riding it for the last 6 months, I'll never go back, this is the best bike ever

Went from 02 YZ426 to a shiny new 07 WR450 and back to an 08 YZ450. Gotta say I still prefer the YZ above the WR any day. No speed demon either, just enjoy a good trail ride and having fun. Never did get comfortable on the WR...

Windseeker - where are you in Russia? Sahkalin?

Went from 02 YZ426 to a shiny new 07 WR450 and back to an 08 YZ450. Gotta say I still prefer the YZ above the WR any day. No speed demon either, just enjoy a good trail ride and having fun. Never did get comfortable on the WR...

Windseeker - where are you in Russia? Sahkalin?

Not far from there - Vladivostok - southern coast next to Chinese border...:thumbsup: