Sign in to follow this  

Front Brake Help

My front brake pull is not smooth like it used to be, I have tried sanding the front brake boot(the little part the front brake rubs against in the master cylinder) to make the pull smooth again but the boot actually has a divot in it. I want to replace the boot but I dont know how to replace it?

The boot is part number 10

http://oem.thumpertalk.com/2003YZ250frontmastercylinder.aspx

Just pull it off and push the new one on. i don't see how that affects the smoothness though?

Dirt, moisture, and break fluid spillage is usually what gums up the action of the cylinder. Take it apart and clean the parts is the key to smooth action. Heck, you could probaby give it a good blast with WD or brake parts cleaner to get it smooth again too.

Just pull it off and push the new one on. i don't see how that affects the smoothness though?

Dirt, moisture, and break fluid spillage is usually what gums up the action of the cylinder. Take it apart and clean the parts is the key to smooth action. Heck, you could probaby give it a good blast with WD or brake parts cleaner to get it smooth again too.

Just take some pliers and pull it off? Its not gummed up, the boot and the part of the lever that rubs against the boot gets galled. I have polished up the parts but after a while the boot formed a divot in it because how I was running the lever far away from the grip. I wish cleaning it would fx it but it won't, if just pulling it off and putting a new one on will fix it then I will do it.

Yep. Pull off, probably make a "plop" noise when it breaks loose. Then push on the new one. You are only putting it in the hole as much as the rim width is.