Anyone with GPS?

Well I was wondering who all out there has GPS on their bike, I need to get something on my XRL before summer rolls around. I was wondering what product you went with, how you like it, and how you mounted it. Thnx for the input! :thumbsup:

I like my Garmin GPSMap 60CSx, great reception, rugged quality, and expandable memory. It's also pretty small. I ride an XRL also, and as a matter of fact I just hardwired the GPS yesterday. I used the Cycoactive kit made specifically for the unit and it worked great, and it's got an in-line fuse so you won't hurt your GPS. You just take your seat and tank off, and fish the line through the places where all the other electricals run. You'll se what I mean when you take it apart, pretty self-explanatory. I'm using the standard Garmin mount right now because it is cheap and so far it works. If it breaks, I'll look into something like a RAM mount or Touratech...

You can google all this stuff, it should pop right up...:thumbsup:

I have a Garmin 60 CSx and I am using a RAM Mount and a hard wire kit from Cycoactive like BeeDub. I have not used it on the bike yet, but I did use it on the snowmobile this winter and it worked great. I am looking forward to using it on the bike this year.:thumbsup:

IMG_0104.jpg

I also went with the 60Csx hardwired. You can run the backlight at full without any worries of running down the batteries.

Now that I look at the picture, I better get the maid to clean that bike.:thumbsup:

IMG_6011.jpg

I just have a cheap Magellon explorist. works though

I also went with the 60Csx hardwired. You can run the backlight at full without any worries of running down the batteries.

Now that I look at the picture, I better get the maid to clean that bike.:confused:

IMG_6011.jpg

Plus one more on the 60csx...and xr650L (and an R). I use the ram mount but not the wiring to the battery yet. Had to mount it on the left handlebar like the Yammie picture above, but it works good.

Found some tips somewhere on using this GPS on batteries on a virbrating dirt bike. Maybe Cycloactive web site, but I do not remember. :thumbsup:

Use dielectric grease on the battery contacts.

Wrap the two batteries tightly with tape, I used electrical tape but duct tape would work.

Put small pieces of neoprene behind the contacts for the batteries. This is to keep pressure on the contacts against the battery posts.

All this is supposed to keep the batteries from micro arc-ing from all the shaking and damaging the GPS. And turning it off.

Or you can wire it to the bike battery and not worry about it. :thumbsup: Some day....

I use an old Garmin Etrex Vista. I use it for work and play. Its basic and dependable. Garmin makes a handlebar mount for it to available at REIs for $18. It is great for day trips but lacks the memory space for more than one state at a time (uploadable topo's). It does everything I need, no frills. The main drawback for putting it on the DS is that it lacks the ability to be externally powered... batteries only. No problems yet, but having batteries bouncing and vibrating can't be good for its longevity, plut the extra oz or two of weight. The newer ones might have an extrnal power option.

All in all it's a great little unit and is glove friendly too.

IMG_1720.jpg

i have an etrex color with memory card slot, it works great and has been through a lot of abuse. using the touratech mount, pricey but worth it i think. rugged construction and absorbs some of the vibration.

Plus one more on the 60csx...and xr650L (and an R). I use the ram mount but not the wiring to the battery yet. Had to mount it on the left handlebar like the Yammie picture above, but it works good.

Found some tips somewhere on using this GPS on batteries on a virbrating dirt bike. Maybe Cycloactive web site, but I do not remember. :thumbsup:

Use dielectric grease on the battery contacts.

Wrap the two batteries tightly with tape, I used electrical tape but duct tape would work.

Put small pieces of neoprene behind the contacts for the batteries. This is to keep pressure on the contacts against the battery posts.

All this is supposed to keep the batteries from micro arc-ing from all the shaking and damaging the GPS. And turning it off.

Or you can wire it to the bike battery and not worry about it. :confused: Some day....

Sounds like hardwiring is just as easy, and more fool proof. :ride: I've ridden off-road with my GPS on and it cut out almost immediately.

To the original poster, I realize people have found ways to make the unit batteries work for them, but I'd just spend the ~$20 on the hardwire kit and forget about it...:thumbsup:

I have the older Garmin 60CS. Works perfectly for me (after I hardwired unit to bike). Prior to that, I had problems w/unit shutting off (w/batteries only)

020.jpg

I have since relocated unit to l/side of handlebars

Sounds like hardwiring is just as easy, and more fool proof. :thumbsup: I've ridden off-road with my GPS on and it cut out almost immediately.

To the original poster, I realize people have found ways to make the unit batteries work for them, but I'd just spend the ~$20 on the hardwire kit and forget about it...:thumbsup:

Your are right! I had to do something for a ride and no time for the cable to be ordered... and I forgot about it.... The battery tricks worked but I am going to do the hardwiring on the L, but the 650R Dual sport battery is barely more than the AA's in the GPS.

Anybody interested in a new one should check out the Garmin Colorado. I work at a West Marine and i use them all, the colorado is by far the sweetest one. You can even get them preloaded with detail.

I have the older Garmin 60CS. Works perfectly for me (after I hardwired unit to bike). Prior to that, I had problems w/unit shutting off (w/batteries only)

020.jpg

I have since relocated unit to l/side of handlebars

Is that the Acerbis 5gl tank? I have the same one... it rocks.

I have a Pioneer Touch Screen GPS that has a 20gb drive and can play mp3's and movies plus has voice turn by turn that i would gladly trade for a CSX... Anyone???????

:thumbsup: Another vote for the 60csx.

Oh yea, I have GPS. Several different types. Its what I do for a living. This one is way accurate and way expensive. But not to practical for the bike.

jja7pv.jpg9uckdh.jpg

Sorry, after a week of nonstop GPS aerial photo control work in Baltimore, I have several hundred of these photos on my computer.

I have used 2 different Garmins on my bike and neither works for very long, bouncing and bumping batteries loose.

The next will be a Cobra 1000 in a Ram mount and aqua box.

I'll let you know when it arrives and I have a chance to test it out.

I have a Garmin Zumo 550 that came with a Ram mount and a car mount. I transfer the Ram mount between my Duke II and my work bike, XT225. It works great and is very durable, I had a incident where my XT225 got dropped on the street this past week and the Zumo and Ram mount never budged or even shut off for that matter. I would highly recomend it.